Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
jowii

Drives: 2017 Yaris
0w20 vs 5w30 oil?

So my 2017 Yaris hatchback recommends 5w30 and has always had 5w30.

Today I got an oil change at a Toyota dealer and I noticed on the receipt that they used 0w20.

Is this ok?

I did some quick searching and couldn't find a good answer. I couldn't find anything mentioned by Toyota. My manual says 5w30 (or 10w30 if 5w30 isn't available), but to switch back to 5w30 at the next oil change...

And then I see answers like this from Pennzoil saying not to use 0w20 in place of 5w30...
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...sity-faqs.html

I trust the Toyota dealer would know what they're doing, but you never know and I still wanted reassurance. I called and asked them, and they just told me that they used a synthetic and that it doesn't matter. I asked if the weight should still be the same and they just said it doesn't matter

They didn't give me a reason like, "We switched to using this viscosity and weight for these benefits" or "here is a link to the Toyota site saying it's now ok to use this oil for your vehicle". Instead, I'm made to feel like I don't know what I'm talking about (which I don't know too much clearly lol), but I'm only referencing my manual and my past oil changes (and what I can find on the interwebs).

Is there a good answer about this? Thanks! :)
jowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Short answer is no. Do you have the receipt showing 0W 20 being used?
Old 05-16-2023, 07:31 PM   #3
bronsin

Oh I see you have the receipt. Take the receipt to a lawyer and Sue Toyota for all you can get! That’s what I would do if I knew a good lawyer.

I might be wrong it’s possible it won’t make any difference.

If it was in the winter which it isn’t.

Last edited by bronsin; 05-16-2023 at 08:13 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:26 PM   #4
bronsin

Take the Pennzoil add to the lawyer.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #5
jowii

Thanks, I'm still searching for answers. I haven't found anything official listing the Yaris.

I did see this though when on the Toyota site when getting ready to submit a support request (in the context of oil change intervals) https://support.toyota.com/s/article...language=en_US

It says:

"Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30)..."

So I guess it is a thing? That was just a general statement though. I'd still like to find something definitive that answers the question about my Yaris. If this is acceptable, then there should be a list somewhere of vehicles and/or an addendum to the manual.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
jowii

Ok I found something (on some other dealer's website) about Toyota conducting a study with 0w20 and making the transition to using it: https://www.toyotaofgreenville.com/ow-20-oil.htm

"Based on the results of a recently completed, long-term study, Toyota has begun the transition to synthetic lubrication standard (SAE OW-20)"

But I can't seem to find more info about that study... I've tried searching the Toyota website. So I'm not sure if that transition is just for newer cars or some previous ones too.

I'm finding some stuff scattered about 0w20 being recommended for the 1NZ-FE engine. Still not finding anything official. It might just be me, but it seems difficult to find an official list and statement.

I'll call Toyota tomorrow and see about getting something official—a link to something for some reassurance.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowii View Post

I'll call Toyota tomorrow and see about getting something official—a link to something for some reassurance.
I would love to be a fly on the wall overhearing that conversation! I would be shocked if they understood it or even knew about it. Frankly I’m not sure I understand it!

But it would be gratifying to talk to a real person! I wonder how long it will take to get through the AI?
Old 05-16-2023, 10:49 PM   #8
jowii

I found this:
https://mag.toyota.co.uk/find-the-ri...r-your-toyota/

For Yaris 2009 and up, they recommend 0w20. I'm still curious when that went into effect. The other Toyota dealer I was going to was using 5w30 at my last oil change.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:46 AM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowii View Post
I trust the Toyota dealer would know what they're doing
First mistake

The correct spec for the 1NZ-FE is and always has been 5W-30. Although Toyota did back spec some engines to 0W-20 those were only the engines originally specd for 5W-20. The 1NZ-FE was never back specd to 0W-20.

However it is unlikely anything negative will result from this. In fact you may pick up a few MPGs as a result. My main concern with running 20W oils in this engine is that the timing chain has a tendency to shear down the oil. If starting with a 30W it may effectively become a 20W by the time of the next oil change. Start with a 20W and what are you left with by the end of your OCI.

BTW dealers are famous for this kind of nonsense. They buy whatever's cheapest and fill everything that comes in the door with it regardless of their own manufacture's recommendations. One of the many reasons I do my own oil changes.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #10
jowii

Well like I had said, I never had an issue at the other Toyota dealer. They always used 5w30.

Also wouldn't 5w30 conventional be cheaper than 0w20 synthetic?

And what of the blog on the Toyota website in my last post? Am I misunderstanding what that is saying?
Old 05-17-2023, 07:34 AM   #11
bronsin

I don’t know about the blog you were talking about, but I do have some other observations.

Yes 1000 times yes conventional oil is cheaper than synthetic! My wife’s Camry has 200000 miles on it and only conventional oil was used! Back in 2005 you could get 12 quarts of oil at Pep Boys on Black Friday for six dollars! That was conventional oil brand name. So for about $12 I got three oil changes a year over about 8 to 10,000 miles.

It would seem you have the option of having the correct oil put in by Toyota! You have the receipt showing what was used! They wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if you were to persevere.

I would like to complement you on your rationale about this whole business. You want the truth. That is outstanding!
Old 05-17-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
jowii

Thanks, yeah and it's also in the log on the Toyota website when I login, so when I get in touch with them, I know they see it on their end.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #13
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
First mistake
BTW dealers are famous for this kind of nonsense. They buy whatever's cheapest and fill everything that comes in the door with it regardless of their own manufacture's recommendations. One of the many reasons I do my own oil changes.
ditto for just about every shop on the planet..its rare you ever get "quality" oil unless you do it yourself!
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:10 PM   #14
matt4x4

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 4dr sedan, 5 spd
Grabbed some house brand Crappy Tire MotoMaster 5w30 convention for $22cdn 5L everything else was like $38cdn for 5L. I just forgot about the funnel and luckily was able to loosen the oil filter by hand but it took a bit. Seemed easier to undo when it was cold, but when it warmed up and did 30 miles heated up and was much harder to undo by hand, took a bit of effort, but slowly it came around to my way of thinking.

Auto Value in Canada seemed to only have Synthetic oil and Full Synthetic oil stated on most labels. I could only see one that did not say Synthetic at all on the label but it was more money at Auto Value. Synthetic is thinner, I want the thicker conventional oil but stick to the manufacturers recommendations of course.

I would have no problem buying any brand name and wouldnt question it, but the house brands I asked about in my other thread, but Im pretty sure its just fine for the 2008 stick sedan.
matt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:54 PM   #15
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I run 0w20 in my 2010 exclusively since 1500 miles. Not long ago, I did one short run of 5w30 just to see how it responded and got an instant drop of 3mpg in my typical drive cycle. So I went back to 0w20 and my mileage restored.

I light track mine and it sees really competitive autocross. Still alive and strong at 187k

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:55 PM   #16
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
While the 1NZ is spec'd for 5/30....a stint on 0/20 will hurt nothing. All 0/20 oils are synthetic and meet the latest GF6 requirements which include added protection for timing chain wear. Todays 0/20s are actually quite robust.

Some of the heavier 20s are close to the viscosities of lite 30s.

Personally I would stick with a full synthetic GF6 5/30. But do not lose sleep over the 0/20 in the crank case at the moment. Just catch it next time she's due.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:44 PM   #17
matt4x4

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 4dr sedan, 5 spd
I was hoping I'd get better fuel mileage, but its more of a city car then a hwy cruiser.
matt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote