Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Removing axle-back?

Hi guys,

I just bought a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust for my 3Dr HB Yaris. Just got it today, it looks great!

I was trying to get the stock exhaust off and I'm just not having any luck with those spring-bolts that connect it to the main pipe.

I've got the car propped up on some axle stands with the rear right wheel off.

I got myself all in there in a sitting/bend over position with my ratchet on the bolt to try and keep my arms as tighlty into my body for as much strength as possible. The problem is, since it's so tight in there you need an extension, which I've put on, but because of that if I try to reef on the handle of the wrench, I pull the exhaust sideways along with it.

I'm afraid if I just do that I'm going to break something, so I've been using 1 hand on the sort of pivot point of the wrench to try and keep it centred, and pulling only with 1 arm. I'm not having any luck getting those damn bolts off.

I've lubed them up with WD40 and I'll have a crack at it again tomorrow, but does anyone who has put on an exhaust have any tips for getting those bolts off without any power tools?I bought a hell of a long wrench as to get more leverage on it, however I failed to notice it's a 1/2" drive and all my sockets are 3/4" drive so I need to go pick up an adapter whenever I get a chance (all the stores closed now). So maybe that will work if I can give that a shot.

Any help? Thanks.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote