Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
so i understand ill prob have to use the rely where exactly does it go? in the fuse box? do i have to switch it with a stock one or it just goes in on its own? thanks
I'll post some pictures in a little while, but I installed my Stebel horns last night. I used a smaller relay (one of the small blue Toyota ones). By using the smaller relay I was able to fit the relay and all of the wiring inside of the under dash fuse panel.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetfireK View Post
You can buy HAND HELD AIR HORNS at any boating store. Might not be dandy in the rain...but they are LOUD...LOUD...LOUD...Maybe cost 10 dollars or less...Your passenger can hold it and blast as you go past.....
Those thing are quite compared to the one I've got on mine. Those are what 115-120dB's? The horn I have is measured at 135dB's at a foot away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Coheed...

Yeah baby! Now, stick those horns in the back bumper facing down to the ground for the best sound pressure distribution...
Of course the little camera mic doesn't do it justice...
No I got em mounted under the hood (see pics). There are still ridiculously loud in there. I can honk them in my driveway with the hood closed and it'll echo for about 2-3 seconds. I'll go out and grab a quick vid here in a sec and post it up.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Is that a Nathan P3 on the Avalanche?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_16581.JPG (114.7 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 100_16551.JPG (107.0 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by coheed; 12-24-2010 at 12:58 PM.
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Heres a quick comparison vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDapG8HRIMk You can kinda hear the echo too.
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Now THOSE are horns!

Here's a video comparison of the OEM horn to my new Stebel horns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wmxu1mJezI

Here's how I wired it to keep everything neat within the under-hood fuse box:

Wiring - Fuse Box.jpg

I used a Toyota 90987-02027 or 90987-02012. This is a small SPST relay with 30A rated contacts. It is the same relay that is used for quite a few other functions in the Yaris, including the fog light relay.

Wiring - Relay.jpg

The coil of the relay gets connected to the horn wire (green wire in pin 1 of connector BA1) and ground (white wire with black stripe in pin 2 of connector CA1).

Wiring - Horn Wire.jpg

Wiring - Ground.jpg

One contact of the relay goes to a battery power feed (I used one of the unused fusible link positions) via an appropriately sized fuse (20A in my case). The other goes to the positive power feed of the horn(s). The negative terminal(s) of the horn(s) go to a chassis ground point (like the mounting bolt of the horn).

Wiring - Power and Fuse.jpg

Here are the horns mounted. It turns out that there is a second tapped mounting hole under the plastic bumper support that is above the stock horn:
Stebel Horns Mounted.jpg
Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Nice tidy Install CT. Out of curiosity , why did you go with the TM80 over the nautilus. Just the sound, (deeper tone on the TM80 vs the nautilus) or was it conventional horn vs air?
I seem to be drawn to the Nautilus because of the higher tones I think. Both are equally loud, so in the end it may just be personal preference. Just curious about why you chose that one
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Nice tidy Install CT. Out of curiosity , why did you go with the TM80 over the nautilus. Just the sound, (deeper tone on the TM80 vs the nautilus) or was it conventional horn vs air?
I seem to be drawn to the Nautilus because of the higher tones I think. Both are equally loud, so in the end it may just be personal preference. Just curious about why you chose that one
Price! I was going to go with the Nautilus (I like the tone of it a tad more), but found an ebay vendor that sells the TM80 set for $23 shipped, so I couldn't resist.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
yo awesome scott looks great thanks so much merry grizzmas
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #26
matthewai

so hey im gonna bring my car to get the horn installed but i also noticed on the rely it says 12v 30a didnt relize before im guessing its 30 amps does this sound right? so yeah ill deff have to use the rely i guess ill find out in a day haha
Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so hey im gonna bring my car to get the horn installed but i also noticed on the rely it says 12v 30a didnt relize before im guessing its 30 amps does this sound right? so yeah ill deff have to use the rely i guess ill find out in a day haha
That's fine. The 30A rating is for the relay contacts, so it is fine for switching the 12 Amps required by the horns.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
matthewai

yeah seems pretty straight forward ill get a video or something when its done im not gonna do a before because we all know what the stock horn sounds like...dinky
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
sickpuppy1

I've seen those also CT, but I notice many of them say "has cracks on the side from manufacturing defect." I'm shying away from those,lol. Havent made up my mind yet.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I've seen those also CT, but I notice many of them say "has cracks on the side from manufacturing defect." I'm shying away from those,lol. Havent made up my mind yet.
That's exactly the one I went for. Turned out that they were perfect - no defects.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #31
sickpuppy1

No kidding! I thought, well, I could smear a light coat of JB Weld on the exterior to firm it up but......OK, I may go for it. But ,like you, I like the Nautilus tone better. A bit higher and maybe a bit more annoying? Which is what a horn is for is it not?!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
matthewai

so i just got them installed they sound way better then stock but the guy i went to said he didnt need the rely now i was a little skeptic but maybe he used something else i just figured he knew what he was doing. now if something were to go wrong would it happen right away or would it take a while to know if its fugged up? cuz i did the whole test of holding it down for like 20 seconds and nothing happened if a fuse were to blow or something does that take a while or would it have happened instantaneously thats all im getting at anyway ill try to post a vid
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
matthewai

vid

eo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRmJvRpCkU

there it is habby new year 011!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #34
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Price! I was going to go with the Nautilus (I like the tone of it a tad more), but found an ebay vendor that sells the TM80 set for $23 shipped, so I couldn't resist.
Trombe Stebel Nautilus FTW! http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9423

I have had these for what seems like ages now. Still love them and still surprises people as to how loud my car horn is. Best part was no air tank. Ok I lied, the best part is the 139dB of AWESOMENESS!

But I dare say the twin set you went with would be really nice too.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so i just got them installed they sound way better then stock but the guy i went to said he didnt need the rely now i was a little skeptic but maybe he used something else i just figured he knew what he was doing. now if something were to go wrong would it happen right away or would it take a while to know if its fugged up? cuz i did the whole test of holding it down for like 20 seconds and nothing happened if a fuse were to blow or something does that take a while or would it have happened instantaneously thats all im getting at anyway ill try to post a vid

Most electrical devices don't draw the full amount of current that the manufacturer lists (which is an absolute max rating). The worst case scenario is that as the horns age and the diaphragms stiffen, causing them to require more current to move, that the 10A fuse will pop.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #36
matthewai

oh okay i see i guess ill jsut let em ride for now them seem and sound great so im happy for now

Tags
hella, horn, tone, trumpet, twin