Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
vimnjicki

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatch
Audiobahn A12005DN shorting out?

I've had this amp for about 5 years and when I removed it from the last car, it rocked. I run the wires, connect all the safety fuses and ground and everything the manufacturer says to do and when I turn on the HU, the amp lights flash 5 times and shuts back down. No sound, no fire, no nothing. I do have power at the hot side and at the remote turn on wire. It strikes me as a short that the units overload protection circuits are preventing. When I opened it up, there is no apparent problems, i.e., wires crossed or burn marks anywhere. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
vimnjicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Do you have subs hooked-up? If so, try unplugging the subs, then turning the head unit on. If still the same problem, then you'd be right and it's inside the amp.

Sometimes I will just simply replace the fuses on the amp with new ones, and clean the contacts for the power and ground terminals.

If still a problem, you already looked for burned things. Now look at the MOSFETs. They are black, rectangle, 3 leads, and attached to the case with a screw. Look at the 3 legs. Make sure there isn't any black, white, blue, or any other color "stuff" going across the leads. If there is, with no power, carefully use a pick or small flat head to scrap that "stuff" off.

Let's start there. Post back the details. Hopefully it's something simple like the subs are hooked-up wrong.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote