Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
My Bass no Boom???

Ok i don't know whats going on but here's my issue and hopefully someone can see the error since i can't.

07 yaris LB w/ Stock HU
I ran wire from the rears to a line out. This then ran to the amp. Everything was fine until i stupidly blew all 4 cabin speakers being a dumbass and showing off.

Replaced the 4 speakers (still the same wires to the line out, in the same configuration it was before) and now i have got to fade all teh way to the rear to get my subs to "Thump" but when i have even balance between front and rear they don't exist. WTF?

Now if our grand "Leaning ECU" comes into this topic as having learned i have bass and wants to kill it, i'm going to burn the car.

If need be i can get pics of everything, but i am not sure that will help. Everything is connected as it should be, amp is fully powered and like i said i get bass, i just have to fade all the way to the rear to get it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
is it possible that you cooked the amp inside the head unit? that its not sending enough of a signal to the speakers?

do the speakers you replaced work fine? do they have all the correct levels?

sounds like the amp isnt getting enough of a signal to me. or maybe you just need to turn the gain up on the woofer amp.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Ya, sounds like you blew the HU as well. Maybe CTScott still has his stock HU for sale?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Everything else is working just fine, new speakers sound great, bass hits as hard as it should when i fade all the way to the rear. HU is working exactly as it has and I'm not sure how I would have cooked the HU.

I've turned all the levels to max on the amp and get little bumps.

Should i try running both front and rear to the line out? Gonna be time consuming, but it's the only thing i can think of that would balance out my issue. Other than getting a new HU, that is.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i have a stock HU i'd sell if you need it
Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

If i'm replacing the HU i'll get something that is not stock, thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Do you have access to a DMM?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

DMM?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
digital multi-meter.... analoge volt meter/ohm meter would also work... you just need to be able to test some circuits.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Yes, i have one. Had to use it to get the polarity right when I made my custom connectors for the speaker wires.

Where should i check with the DMM?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
See i have this problem too which is why i am opting for a new head unit. You have a lin output converter yes, but 85% of LOC out there only have 4 wires coming from it, Left rear - + Right rear - +. If the head unit is sending signal to all 4 speakers in the car you are ideally only getting 50%. Which is why you fade to rear to get 100% of what is needed for the line.

I am pretty sure this is how that goes and it sucks i know, but unless you buy a proper LOC or an amp with 8 inlines to it to tap in from the speaker, then thats all there is to it.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

I have the right LOC with inputs for front and rear +-. But going with a new deck is going make this whole project that much easier, but that's going to be months off.

Although i might get this fixed so that it can be done, but i am considering running the rear doubled to the front on the LOC and see if that works. Prolly wont but it sounds like it could.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
First off, by the sounds of it, you are inexperienced with amplifiers and such car audio. That would negate you having a single amp that can power the sub and the speakers. Those are costly, and rare.

Having said that, your sub should be on it's own dedicated mono amplifier.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Thought it was clear enough from the first post....

The amp is for the subs, hence the thread title.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Thank you for that clarification. I was reading it like you were powering front speakers to rear speakers, then to your subs.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

I might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but even I would find that just plain stupid. Although taking the 1200 watts and pouring it into 2 140watt speakers would be amusing to watch...

I've done some interesting things to get sound and I've done some beautiful things to get good sound and some impressive things to make it theft proof. I have many plans on upgrades and replacements but, as usual, the budget can only be stretched so thin... Until i win the lotto that is.

The exact details:
HU is running remote only so I'm not constantly powering amp.
Rear Speakers are being spliced into so I have signal for the amp.
Rear Speakers run into the LOC and then RCAs to the amp.

I've tested the amp in another car and it works just fine. Tested subs with multi-meter and their resistance is where it should be. I just don't understand why it was working in an amazingly similar process. The new way is only different in connectors, everything is still as it was before. WTF ? And it's not like i can drop the $170 on the HU i wanna get right now http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...WX-GT77UI.html so it sounds like I'm gonna be screwed into splicing the front into this so i can have my bass back.

My LOC has outputs for both front and rear and i believe the inputs are direct for the outs. Wouldn't it make sense to run the front and rear inputs together into the rear channel inputs so i have (stereo ?) full bass or am i going to have to pick up some RCA "Y"s?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
First step... make sure you have proper voltage running from the deck to the LOC, and then from the Amp to the Sub... this way we split the signal chain into three sections... deck, LOC, amp.

ok... hook your dmm to the speaker wires (after the LOC, but before the sub amp)... Set the DMM to Voltage. Make sure it is set for AC signal (squigly line), some DMM's sense AC or DC and then auto set themselves.

Turn the deck on... throw in a cd... which you know has bass tones... then slowly turn up the volume. You should see the voltage slowly increase as the volume goes up. If you don't get voltage, or the voltage doesn't increase much... then something is most likely wrong with the deck's internal amp or the LOC.

If you didn't get voltage at the LOC, you should also try hooking up the DMM before the LOC.. and testing for voltage again, that way we can isolate if the problem is will the LOC or the deck.

If the voltage goes up perfectly fine.... then hook the DMM up to the speaker wires going to the sub (going from the sub amp to sub). Do the test again. Start at a low volume, and slowly increase volume. The voltage again should slowly increase... if it doesn't this time (and it did before)... try adjusting the Gain knob and see if that helps... if it does not help at all... you may have a fubar sub amp.

THE GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME CONTROL... so don't treat it like one... It won't get more watts from your amp... its not magic. It is supposed to be matched to the voltage outputs of your deck.... Normally when running LOC's you would have your Gain set to the minimum setting as the signal will already be fairly high voltage.

Last edited by talnlnky; 10-30-2009 at 06:21 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

But that is how i've been controlling my bass volume this whole time!!!

I'll try testing out the 3 sections as you described and narrow down the problem or find it outright.