Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
price for sub/amp install

what do you guys think is a reasonable price to install 2 subs already in a box and an amp? also, is there a way to have subwoofer control....maybe have a knob or somethin near the park brake?? cuz it would be close to impossible to have subwoofer control on the stock radio
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I have two mobile electronics installers within 15 miles from me and a general rule of thumb for both is $50/hr for labor, but it varies depending on location and what you're trying to do. Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't take your setup to an installer. Find a buddy who knows something about cars, buy him a case of beer and make him do it. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to put a box and an amp in a car (if that) so don't go paying $150 to have this done.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Yaris
what do you guys think is a reasonable price to install 2 subs already in a box and an amp? also, is there a way to have subwoofer control....maybe have a knob or somethin near the park brake?? cuz it would be close to impossible to have subwoofer control on the stock radio

If you have no idea how to install stereo equipment buy a amp wiring kit and Circuit City charges like $50-60 to run and install all of it for you. most times a custom shop wont run the wires if you didnt buy the amp and subs from them. So if you find products cheap on the internet buy a cheap wiring kit for a amp and take it to Circuit City and have them install it. I could have done my own on my G6 but I paid them to do it cause I didnt feel like fooling with it.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
IT cost me 150 for them to install my amps and subs including rca's and terminals. I agree with slvryaris, I've installed the systems in my last 3 cars but I don't think messing with a new car is a good idea. Let the pros do it so something breaks THEY pay for it lol. Just a warning about the remote bass knob, be careful with them, it's really easy to blow a sub by adding to much gain to it.
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I shopped around to find someplace to do mine - if most places are like the ones around here (save a few) you could do as good a job if not better than they can and save the money. Its not tough, even if you have never touched a pair of pliers. I did a how-to on yarisowners.com and im sure theres plenty of friends and the internet that can give you some insight. I dont want some 'dude' who spends half his day smoking pot behind the shop to punch holes in my ride where he thinks its easiest. (not just pulling this stuff out of my ass either.) The only place decent enough to do an install around here is Andre's Audiotronic (PASMag issue sometime in the past few months - white
dodge sx 2.0) but they wanted upwards of five grand to build a box and install it.
And from personal experience if your going to buy an amp with a remote buy a decent amp, something you can setup decent before you play with the remote. My amp is cheap and the remote bit it right after I bought it.

If you can get it done for 50 bucks and you dont mind what they may or may not do go nuts cause thats cheap.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Hey, whats wrong with smoking pot behind your place of employment?

Yeah, I'm with slvryaris... I don't know how to install anything audio related in a car, so when I got my Yaris I marched to Best Buy with my Alpine head unit and had them put it in. I would have had a friend do it but there were no trim kits for my car, but the guys at Best Buy figured out quickly that another Toyota kit fit the Yaris fine. (Can't remember which) They were also very excited to see the car, although I wanted to slap the one guy because he was driving an STi. The other guy made me take him for a ride... I had already had the suspension installed so we went to the back of the parking lot and I did some tight figure 8's. He was laughing, wasn't expecting it to handle worth a damn. It was good times.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
was that before or after the giant bag of doritos?... lol

at least you guys in the US have places like best buy, etc etc (we have on and around the east coast). We've got future shop... hence the pot reference. So you either get a bunch of teens rigging up some crap or your paying through the nose for a whole crew of pros.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #8
Alexandre2k3

Drives: Yaris liftback
sup all, new to yaris world

just wanted to say that it took only 30 mins for me to install my audiobahn amp to a ported 10" in the back (wanted to save space) so why take it to people who don't give a shit about your car or messing up the trim when install in an amp is soo simple. There is an easy opening under the carpet of the passenger side that will fit up to a 4 guage no problem. All the trims snap off easy so running the wires is simple, and there is even a unused hole that for scrwing in a ground cable

I've had only bad experiences with "pro" installers, FCUK them, if it's easy like an amp or a Head Unit id rather DIY

07 POLAR liftback
Kendwood HU
Audiobahn amp
Alpine type S font
Pioneer rear
Alexandre2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

So how about some pictures and a how-to? I'm not going anywhere but friends for the rest of my stereo, so the help would be appreciated. Honestly, sometimes I trust my buddies less than the guys in the blue polo.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #10
Alexandre2k3

Drives: Yaris liftback
will post pics and how to's soon (have to find my usb cable for camera)
Alexandre2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
PSU Yaris

i got my speakers installed yesterday. it costed 190 including JL Audio wires and basically everything cept for the subs, box, and amp. since it took them longer than they told me it would, they gave me a discount on some speakers...so i picked up a pair of JL Audio 6.5's and 6x9s. From what they say, JL Audio makes the best speakers on the market. anyone have any experience with JL?

heres the links to the speakers i picked up
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=125
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=128
Old 08-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #13
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
JL does make some awsome product, but alot of it is over priced for a negligable gain....but that is just one mans opinion, there are people that will swear up and down that it is the only thing in the world to be listened to :)

just curious what kind of price you got them for?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
PSU Yaris

$125 for the 6.5's and $135 for the 6x9's
he took $25 off of each pair, and claimed that was the lowest he could go
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...6.5&category0=

If they aren't components, you could have done better on Ebay. Like you didn't know, right?