Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
how much stuff will fit in an HB

Just got back from Las Vegas, unpacked my Yaris HB and here is what I had in the back

And there was still a more room and I did NOT remove my subwoofer

I wonder how much will fit in this car????

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think I could get more stuff in my ECHO with the fold down seats and the hole into the trunk area.

On two door cars the doors open so wide you can get bigger things through them then the hatch of the Yaris I would bet.

Especially with the passanger front seat reclined.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I once fit everything I own, no exceptions, everything I possess in this world, into the Yaris and moved 900 miles.

This is what I had with me while moving:

A bicycle

2TB server.

Gaming computer system and monitor.

Full wardrobe including several suits.

A computer desk.

Printer.

Speaker system.

Various books and binders.

A firearm.

Bedding and pillow.

Flight crew case.

Protein powder!

A toolbox.

Computer chair.

I bought a new memory foam bed off Amazon at the new place I moved to ($400 total), shipped to my door to arrive the same day I did.

The rear compartment was still only half full, front seat area empty, and I didn't remove the subwoofer. I could have stuffed a folded mattress in there as well, but it would have covered my rear view mirror.

It is great to be single! The best part about the move was that I only had to carry about 5-6 items in, sort-of a modular setup. All the clothing in a roof top bag, other stuff in two rolling suitcases in the rear, the bicycle on the hitch. Very clean.

People who buy a larger car for "when we need the room", should ask themselves if they are hoarders.

Last edited by swidd; 07-15-2012 at 03:56 PM.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I once fit everything I own, no exceptions, everything I possess in this world, into the Yaris and moved 900 miles.

A bicycle

2TB server.

A computer desk.

Printer.

Speaker system.

A firearm.

Bedding and pillow.

Flight crew case.

Protein powder!

A toolbox.

Computer chair.

I bought a new memory foam bed off Amazon at the new place I moved to ($400 total), shipped to my door to arrive the same day I did.

The rear compartment was still only half full, front seat area empty, and I didn't remove the subwoofer. I could have stuffed a folded mattress in there as well, but it would have covered my rear view mirror.

It is great to be single! The best part about the move was that I only had to carry about 5-6 items in, sort-of a modular setup. All the clothing in a roof top bag, other stuff in two rolling suitcases in the rear, the bicycle on the hitch. Very clean.

People who buy a larger car for "when we need the room", should ask themselves if they are hoarders.
hoarding is becoming encouraged, as is taking the easiest possible route to do something, even if it is the most expensive by far.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white
I've had fifteen boxes of books in my car. I have also brought home a recliner home my boss gave me.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
I fit this in my yaris this weekend while moving:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103347/

I have moved locally twice with my yaris and the only thing that I couldnt take was my queen mattress, but I thought about strapping it to the top, lol.
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
RABYARIS

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3D AT
A Lazy-Boy recliner...

Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Have been able to fit 8 rims and 4 unmounted tires, aww yeah.
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
More than all of you, I guarantee it. ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
yarisgal

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3 DR Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
Just got back from Las Vegas, unpacked my Yaris HB and here is what I had in the back

And there was still a more room and I did NOT remove my subwoofer

I wonder how much will fit in this car????
Is this with the back seat folding down or not? I just bought a yaris yesterday and I have no clue how to fold the back seat...

chances are I cannot fold the back seats for that since I need the back seats.... how much stuff can one fit with the yaris trunk space then?
yarisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post

A bicycle

2TB server.

A computer desk.

Printer.

Speaker system.

A firearm.

Bedding and pillow.

Flight crew case.

Protein powder!

A toolbox.

Computer chair.

Wow.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
hoarding is becoming encouraged, as is taking the easiest possible route to do something, even if it is the most expensive by far.
It is a hard thing to understand, unless it has become a dynamic within your own family......and even then IT IS STILL HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

Going back 4-5 generations in my family, nearly everyone who decided to have kids had them very late in life. When my mother was a year old, my grandfather built a house twice the size of his own for his father to live out his days in. The house also served as a place to stay in the Summer when my mother and my aunt were out of school for the Summer. After my great-grandfather died, they still kept that house for many years even though they had moved to a much larger 'school year house' when my mother was seven. My grandfather was great at making decisions, but my grandmother was just the opposite. Keeping the 'great grandfather house' meant that my grandmother never had to throw anything away and the material result of all that indecision went into one house, while the other house stayed perfect.

My grandparents sold that house a couple of years before my grandfather died and all of the contents of that house got absorbed into four households with only SOME things being discarded (only a fraction of the total). My mother's house was already like the 'great-grandfather house' re lack of organization and the contents coming from the 'great-grandfather house' just made the situation worse. Over the next year my girlfriend and I made a small dent in the mess during our visits. My mother died 5 years later and had reversed the progress we made and had added to the mess. When my mother died a 2200 square foot house had every room/area except the bathrooms, kitchen and halls piled a MINIMUM of 5 feet high with stuff. Safeway used to make extra large paper grocery bags and when they stopped making them they were available at a local grocery chain. In addition to the furniture I gave away, I went through EVERYTHING in that house down to the last sheet of paper and crammed what I was throwing away into the aforementioned grocery bags and stapled the top of each. I kept track of how many I was filling and throwing away. I threw away SIX THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-FOUR filled grocery bags.....many trips to the county dump. This took me 6 1/2 years in my spare time.

I sold my house in California in 2006 and put all of my belongings in a 20x30x10 storage space and a 5x5x10 storage space. In 2007 I decided if something happened to me while I was traveling it wouldn't be fair to my aunt to have to go through all of this stuff. I went through all of it myself and compartmentalized it into smaller spaces (one filled with clothes, another filled with kitchen/dining items, another filled with TVs/stereos/CDs, etc. At the end of this process I had filled my Yaris (not too tightly as I was worried about getting a ticket) and taken the contents to the dump 27 times.

Once the heat dissipates this Fall, I have to go back to California and fill part of a moving van with the contents of my storage spaces and bring the contents to Texas. I'm not as efficient as my cousin re throwing things away, but I'm close. My cousin and her daughter live in a 1000 square foot 3 bedroom 1 bath house on a 6,000 square foot lot. My cousin's house is neither cluttered nor spartan and she knows where EVERYTHING is in that house, and I mean EVERYTHING. She can easily (over the phone -- no video) lead me to find ANYTHING in her house. She is like a human GPS locator. She has a rule (adopted before being publicized by professional organizers) that in order to add something she has to get rid of something else.

Fortunately for me, the less is more part of me overpowers the sentimental part of me.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
More than all of you, I guarantee it. ;)
^^^^^ No Doubt. You must know ways of utilizing the space within your Yaris (and others) that none of us has ever thought about, as doing so helps your bottom line.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ No Doubt. You must know ways of utilizing the space within your Yaris (and others) that none of us has ever thought about, as doing so helps your bottom line.

You know, I was thinking about my claim earlier and I think CTScott may have me beat with crashy and the dump conversion. I don't remember how much weight he has carried but that bucket filled with dirt/concrete/etc is probably pretty heavy...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
You know, I was thinking about my claim earlier and I think CTScott may have me beat with crashy and the dump conversion. I don't remember how much weight he has carried but that bucket filled with dirt/concrete/etc is probably pretty heavy...

But doesn't that Crashy stay only on his property? If so, it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. He can go over the load recommendation with that Crashy without worrying about making the car less roadworthy or safe, whereas you have to take roadworthiness into consideration because you are driving on public roads.