Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #1
ltwargssf

Drives: yaris
Cold Start ticking noise, lifters?

So when it gets really cold my engine starts to tick a few seconds after starting it then goes away. It seems to be coming from the valvetrain like a lifter isn't priming. Is this a common issue? It doesn't rattle right away like a cam adjuster issue, the video below you can hear the metallic tick starting a few second after the engine is on( When I put my hand on the engine), I cut it a bit short but it goes away shortly after I ended the video.

There is no noise unless it gets just below freezing outside and sitting overnight. On warmer days it starts very smoothly with no ticking.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jJP-ZAewyas

Last edited by ltwargssf; 01-01-2024 at 10:08 PM.
ltwargssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
if you have the 1nzfe, this engine does not have lifters, it has shim over bucket, it is possible that the valve adjustment is out of whack and is a little more complex to get measurements correct, i recently have done a head gasket job on a 1nzfe that had 290,000 miles on it and while i was there i checked the valve clearance and they were all in spec right smack in the middle of the range, i would not worry to much about it
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:50 PM   #3
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwargssf View Post
So when it gets really cold my engine starts to tick a few seconds after starting it then goes away. It seems to be coming from the valvetrain like a lifter isn't priming. Is this a common issue? It doesn't rattle right away like a cam adjuster issue, the video below you can hear the metallic tick starting a few second after the engine is on( When I put my hand on the engine), I cut it a bit short but it goes away shortly after I ended the video.

There is no noise unless it gets just below freezing outside and sitting overnight. On warmer days it starts very smoothly with no ticking.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jJP-ZAewyas
With the Polar Vortex hitting Alberta, my 1NZ does the same thing for a couple seconds when I cold start it. I wouldn't worry about it, the extreme cold does funny things to a car, you should hear my blower motor in these temps.

I don't have a block heater and still have the original 10 year old battery in it, its started every day this week so far. Knock on wood.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote