Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Anyone driven the Scion iQ ?

Has anyone here driven the Scion iQ ? I think it is an interesting vehicle .. and would maybe consider getting one (if something was to happen to my Yaris).

Any info or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I sat in one, but did not drive it. It is an interesting vehicle, for sure. What would kill it for me is the CVT. At the least Toyota should offer a proper manual gearbox....IMO.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Has anyone here driven the Scion iQ ? I think it is an interesting vehicle .. and would maybe consider getting one (if something was to happen to my Yaris).

Any info or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
I sat in one at an auto show and didn't like it. The only appeal I see is the flexibility re parking. In the U.S., given how parking spaces are sized and the available alternatives, I can only see a benefit in parts of Boston, NYC, San Francisco and possibly parts of Philadelphia, Miami, and Los Angeles (and I've been to every city in the U.S. over 500k in population, except Charlotte). Re your neck of the woods, I do remember parking being an issue when I stayed in Old Strathcona. If you go there, and other neighborhoods with similar parking, I can see why the IQ would appeal to you. How much of your thinking re the IQ is motivated by your dislike of the looks of the 3rd generation Yaris () ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I sat in one at an auto show and didn't like it. The only appeal I see is the flexibility re parking. In the U.S., given how parking spaces are sized and the available alternatives, I can only see a benefit in parts of Boston, NYC, San Francisco and possibly parts of Philadelphia, Miami, and Los Angeles (and I've been to every city in the U.S. over 500k in population, except Charlotte). Re your neck of the woods, I do remember parking being an issue when I stayed in Old Strathcona. If you go there, and other neighborhoods with similar parking, I can see why the IQ would appeal to you. How much of your thinking re the IQ is motivated by your dislike of the looks of the 3rd generation Yaris () ?
I saw it advertised on tv .. and thought it was an interesting car. I checked it out .. and thought, hmm. I think I would probably like a standard (as I have never driven an automatic). Maybe when I go to the dealer next I will check it out. (My preferred local dealer is also a Scion dealer). But being honest .. there is no way I would get rid of my Yaris as it is just the nicest car I have ever owned.

But right now .. being winter it is really really hard keeping my Yaris clean. There is just nothing I can do about it .. cause if I wash it, within 15 min it would look the same. So I am going to be washing my Yaris only when it is really bad during the winter. I cannot wait for spring .. and really winter is still a few weeks away.

Oh .. and I do like the looks of the 2nd Gen .. the 3rd gen doesn't excite me much and that single wiper just kinda creeps me out.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
When I work in Toyota, I went for test drove one. It sucks!!!!!! Dont let the mileage fool you 36-37 with 94hp. Its not particle and cost more than Yaris. I push it very hard and when i switch lane. I almost lost control. I went krazy with my Yaris with no problem at all.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
At least it can support camber plates

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
edmscan

I found another thread ...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35608

which is very detailed. Still a car that I would like to look at, and maybe take for a spin. I think that it may be a fun car.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I saw it advertised on tv .. and thought it was an interesting car. I checked it out .. and thought, hmm. I think I would probably like a standard (as I have never driven an automatic). Maybe when I go to the dealer next I will check it out. (My preferred local dealer is also a Scion dealer). But being honest .. there is no way I would get rid of my Yaris as it is just the nicest car I have ever owned.

But right now .. being winter it is really really hard keeping my Yaris clean. There is just nothing I can do about it .. cause if I wash it, within 15 min it would look the same. So I am going to be washing my Yaris only when it is really bad during the winter. I cannot wait for spring .. and really winter is still a few weeks away.

Oh .. and I do like the looks of the 2nd Gen .. the 3rd gen doesn't excite me much and that single wiper just kinda creeps me out.
I left the Barnes and Noble at The Woodlands Mall last night about 15 minutes before they closed (I had been checking out their travel book section). The Barnes and Noble is open for another hour after the mall closes, so there were very few people around. I was walking on the sidewalk that is between the South side of the Barnes and Noble building and the little intra-parking lot feeder road and an IQ drove down the little feeder road. I was amazed by how quiet it was. If I'd been blindfolded, I might have thought a Prius had driven by.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have driven an iQ and for $100 I'll tell you everything I know!

OK OK here is the dirt from my perspective....

It drives like a big car. Its roomy for the driver and after 15 minutes it doesnt feel like youre in a mini car about to die.

Theres a little space under the hatch more than a Smart. You might be able to get a weeks groceries in there.

The acceleration isnt too great but tis adequate. I drive like an old lady and couldnt care less how fast I go.

The inside is too busy stylewise. They charge too much for this car and try to make you think its worth it by fancy schmancy gegaws on the dashboard.

Pathetic!

The ride is softer and more compliant that a Smart. The Smart has a stiff suspension! Way to stiff IMO.

Heres something I would ask others. When I dive it I forget to check out something I wanted to. Idont like my AT because it doesnt slow down like a manual does when you take your foot off the gas. Makes you use the brake which wears out pads faster and makes the car less controlable in bad weather. Could be a problem!

But I FORGOT to take my foot of the gas and see how the CVT does when you do that. Anyone have anything they can tell me whose driven a CVT?

Basically my take is its not worth it when you can have a Yaris for the same or less money.

I think it should have the 1 liter (or less) engine, get 45 mpg in town minimum, and costs less than oh 12 g's.

I dont want the abusive interior and exterior styling either! Phooey!

Id buy one tomorrow if it did!
Just my 02!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I have driven an iQ and for $100 I'll tell you everything I know!

OK OK here is the dirt from my perspective....

It drives like a big car. Its roomy for the driver and after 15 minutes it doesnt feel like youre in a mini car about to die.

Theres a little space under the hatch more than a Smart. You might be able to get a weeks groceries in there.

The acceleration isnt too great but tis adequate. I drive like an old lady and couldnt care less how fast I go.

The inside is too busy stylewise. They charge too much for this car and try to make you think its worth it by fancy schmancy gegaws on the dashboard.

Pathetic!

The ride is softer and more compliant that a Smart. The Smart has a stiff suspension! Way to stiff IMO.

Heres something I would ask others. When I dive it I forget to check out something I wanted to. Idont like my AT because it doesnt slow down like a manual does when you take your foot off the gas. Makes you use the brake which wears out pads faster and makes the car less controlable in bad weather. Could be a problem!

But I FORGOT to take my foot of the gas and see how the CVT does when you do that. Anyone have anything they can tell me whose driven a CVT?

Basically my take is its not worth it when you can have a Yaris for the same or less money.

I think it should have the 1 liter (or less) engine, get 45 mpg in town minimum, and costs less than oh 12 g's.

I dont want the abusive interior and exterior styling either! Phooey!

Id buy one tomorrow if it did!
Just my 02!
I also don't like the location of the radio. I agree with you though, if it got 45 mpg + city (and even more highway) and cost less than 12k, I'd consider it.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I test drove one that my friend bought before and after the purchase.
She chose the iQ over the Yaris for the style and the built in bluetooth.

The iQ has a much more solid driving feel than I expected. I think it must have a lower CG than the Yaris.
It is initially a little un-nerving that from the driver's view, the car isn't any longer than it is wide. You can make a U-Turn on any street.

I like the hood seal along the front edge, and will add that to my Yaris. I didn't care for the feel of the CVT around town. It feels a bit sluggish for an automatic, but I am used to my manual. Also to be seen if that changes after break-in. My friend's opinion is that the CVT is not sluggish at all.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I would rather purchase the new VW UP than that junker.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I would rather purchase the new VW UP than that junker.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #14
edmscan

I really cannot comment on the iQ as I haven't seen it at the Scion dealer yet. I will formulate an opinion when I have checked it out.

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
I test drove one that my friend bought before and after the purchase.
She chose the iQ over the Yaris for the style and the built in bluetooth.

The iQ has a much more solid driving feel than I expected. I think it must have a lower CG than the Yaris.
It is initially a little un-nerving that from the driver's view, the car isn't any longer than it is wide. You can make a U-Turn on any street.

I like the hood seal along the front edge, and will add that to my Yaris. I didn't care for the feel of the CVT around town. It feels a bit sluggish for an automatic, but I am used to my manual. Also to be seen if that changes after break-in. My friend's opinion is that the CVT is not sluggish at all.
I just looked at the spec sheet. The gas tank is too small for my taste.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I just looked at the spec sheet. The gas tank is too small for my taste.
Well according to my calculations .. the iQ tank should give me 487 km compared to about 640 km for my Yaris.

Seeing as how I almost never go out on the highway .. this is a non issue for me. I guess it depends on how you would use a vehicle to determine if this would be an issue for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Well according to my calculations .. the iQ tank should give me 487 km compared to about 640 km for my Yaris.

Seeing as how I almost never go out on the highway .. this is a non issue for me. I guess it depends on how you would use a vehicle to determine if this would be an issue for you.
That's why I added the 'my taste' . Also, if I'm going to give up a manual for a CVT, I want an exemplary (to me) feature in return (such as the 'info center' on the Prius C that helps drivers adjust habits for better MPG). Do you often spot parking spaces that your Yaris can't fit into, but you think an IQ would () ?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
edmscan

Honestly .. I am not getting an iQ. I just love my Yaris, besides I have to get it fixed. But I do find the iQ mildly interesting ... but the thing that kills it for me is that the iQ doesn't get very good gas mileage.