Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Review of Osram Silverstars

Again these are Osram Silverstars not Sylvania. Today I got my Osram Silverstars from www.powerbulbs.com which is located in the United Kindom. They were shipped less then 7 days ago and they were here today. I picked these up for around $24. I replaced my Piaa Extreme White Plus bulbs for these and I gotta tell ya save your money and go with the Osrams. The light output on low looks the same whiteness as the Piaa's, but I noticed a big improvement on the Osrams with how much further the beam went down the road vs. the Piaa's

These were tested with other cars in front of me and passing me so I can imagine that it would look even better on a dark country road. The high beams lit up the road an everything around it like nothing I have ever seen except from H.I.D.'s. So thanks to Brickhard Meat and Violin and some of you other guys for helping me with all my questions, and eveyone needs to at least try these out once.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!

Heh heh...lets see!! I'm sure they are good...
Hmm...although these are OSRAM silver stars they probably use the same technology in the sylvania silver stars or are the same product-different market...as Osram owns sylvania...or i should say sylvania is the north american branch of osram...
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
oilman930

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
The Osram Silverstars sold in Europe are not the same as the Silverstars that are sold in the US. The US bulbs are tinted blue while the European versions are not. The light output is different as well as the light pattern.

If you call Sylvania they will also tell you that since the European version of the bulb is not sold here directly, it isn't DOT legal. Which is true, but that's never stopped me from using them.
oilman930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
slvryaris

Sorry for lack of pics. I will try to get some tonight, but I do not have a tri pod so they might not be the most accurate pics plus they will just look like any other pics of Piaa's or found on google or Yahoo images, but I will get some. The technology in the Sylvania bulbs is that of the Piaa which is the UV coating they use on the outside of the bulb to take away from the yellow dull looks of Halogen gas and makes it a whiter light, but by doing this you ruin the total light output.

The Osram Silverstars are totally crystal clear and use a different kind of filament and burn so I have read some xenon gas and gives it the white color and increases the distance for down the road viewing.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
slvryaris

Day pics

Sorry havent had a chance to get night pics, but the pic on the top is of full Osram silverstar on both sides, the second pic has the "osram" silverstar on the left and the stock on the right. The osram has a brighter beam and a shade whiter. The third pic is the "osram" silverstar on the left and the Piaa Xtreme White PLus on the right and can this be a $23 set of bulbs beat out a $80 set????????? The osram took it again with a brighter beam and the same whiteness. Night pics will be up tomorrow morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full osram.jpg (29.1 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg Osram and Stock.jpg (35.0 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg Osram and Piaa.jpg (30.2 KB, 359 views)
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
slvryaris

Pics at night

Here is some pics I took last night of the Osram Silverstars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (26.5 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 014.jpg (35.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
osram
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
slvryaris

I was also looking at the Philips Vision Plus and noticed people said they were whiter then the Osrams and I was kind of curious as to how this was and then I looked closely at a picture of them and noticed the slight blue coating at the tip of the light.

I knew no one could resist putting a blue uv coating on their bulb and say that it is pure white light.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Philips.bmp (219.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Thanks for the OSRAM Silverstars review. I also ordered from www.powerbulbs.com yesterday. If anyone wants to buy from them, use the coupon code below to get a 10% discount.

KAFFE1746
aca72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
i'm sorry but when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it said orgasm

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

sherry you're such a total perv
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
i know i am... can't help it.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
changing bulbs is a bitch!!

Didn't want to start a new thread! Besides patience and small hands, is there a good way tochange bulbs? I am having a hard time just pulling off connector. Can only imagine the pin The book sucks and lack of space
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I think the repair manual actually suggest removeing the entire bumper which probably would be much easier than trying to squeez in the like that. I got someone else to change mine for me because I was about to have a neervous breakdown. Every other bulb in the car is a breeze to replace.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #15
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
hello first time poster lol.

can someone tell me the type of bulb for the yaris? first thing im going to change is the bulbs to the vision plus type :)

so low and high beams are...

thanks
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
ism3t
YarVitz

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback
h4
Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #17
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ism3t View Post
h4
sweeet :D easy to find and i can get them by going for a short drive. ill give a before and after shot when i get my car and the headies done! :D
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #18
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
It takes only a few minutes to take the top of the bumper off and remove the headlight.

Some guys with little girly hands seem to have no trouble changing the bulbs in place.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote