Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Having trouble with one Maguires product - Any thoughts?

Greetings all.

After buying a whole bunch of top quality Maguires cleaners for my car, everything has come up fantastic - with the exception of one part.

I bought the Natural Shine Protectant for cleaning the vinyl surfaces, dash etc. I cleaned down the excess debris and dust with a damp microfibre cloth, washed it, then applied the Natural Shine, but its coverage doesnt seem to be uniform (even though I was spreading it evenly) and the end result is somewhat patchy and streaky.

At first I thought there may have been ground in dirt that may have mixed with the cleaner, giving me the streaks that Im seeing, but it looks like Ill definitely need another coat or two.

Has anyone else used this product and care to comment? (This is the matte finish version) Should I just apply more or is this result unusual?

Thanks in advance!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
I never used this product but i would advise you to use "Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer" only for the dashboard because it doesnt leave any shine. Just cleaning and protection.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
curious myself. i just bought a bottle of the natural shine protectant, but haven't had a chance to use it yet due to the cold weather. i think i'll wait till others post results or recommend a better product(i used to use the turtle wax ice interior protectant that comes in a small bottle with the microfiber cloth, but switched because i heard good things about meguiar's and the COST of the ice stuff considering how much you get!).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i just got their claybar kit last night. I am planning on using it today. I hope it's good.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
I never used this product but i would advise you to use "Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer" only for the dashboard because it doesnt leave any shine. Just cleaning and protection.
The Natural Shine Protectant IS recommended for interior/exterior vinyl. According to the blurb on Maguires site:

Maintain that _like newÓ look on dashboards, trim, tires and more. Natural Shine_s complex formula includes mild cleaning agents that help remove daily dirt and grime and restore the original, natural finish. Includes UV blockers to help reduce the effects caused by the sun. For best results, use an Applicator Pad to spread the product evenly over the surface, or spray directly onto pad, then use an 100% Terry Towelling Cloth to remove any excess product.

Im going to give it another shot today. Perhaps I just didnt use enough the first time for proper coverage.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I use turtle wax ice for my interior. Dosnt leave any film or residue. No greasy feel. Just enhances the oem look while giving uv protection to preserve the plastic to prevent cracking and fading over time.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Damo

Thats the strange thing, though -There is no residue. Its got the dash free of oils and grit, but it just isnt a uniform finish.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Damo

Well, I sussed it out this morning. It turns out the application was my problem. I should have used the Terry cloth all along.

I went over it today with the cloth and it came up a lot better.

I wouldnt have thought itd be too picky, but now I know :)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
thanks for the info! i'll just have to pick-up some more terry cloths(the wife hates it when i use her 'good' towels to clean the car :lol: )
toad is offline   Reply With Quote