Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
davembfan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Best wax for my yaris?

Hey guys I'm new here, I have a question about waxing my car. I bought some ICE polish from turtle wax and my car is silver so I cant tell what part of my car i've done. or if ive missed a spot. plus I didnt really like the results. Can anyone here reccomend the meguirs gold class paste wax? Would that show up better? If not what other wax would you reccomend.

davembfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
lighter colored cars simply wont shine as bright as darker colored cars. white and silver cars dazzle at dusk or later, while polished and waxed black cars look showroom all day and night. your car does indeed look clean. check it out at sunset again, and see if your impressions have changed. our black yaris is beautiful at all times, while our arctic frost sienna only gives it a challenge from sunset and later on...

--B

ps: i dont how ice works, but all other waxes need to be buffed (hand or machine) after application to get a real shine. make sure you put some elbow grease into it...
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davembfan View Post
cant tell what part of my car i've done. or if ive missed a spot.
It is really hard to tell--the liquid ICE does not dry to a haze. I do use the paste wax on the front bumper so bugs are easier to wash off I have been happy with the results, but my car is black.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Yeah, showroom; black cars look dirty after one day in the elements; I had wanted a black Yaris, but test drove a meteorite metallic and loved how the silver absorbed the colors around it instead of reflecting all the light away. Black looks fantastic newly washed and waxed; not so much after a cloud of dust. Still, to each his/her own.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
Yeah, showroom; black cars look dirty after one day in the elements; I had wanted a black Yaris, but test drove a meteorite metallic and loved how the silver absorbed the colors around it instead of reflecting all the light away. Black looks fantastic newly washed and waxed; not so much after a cloud of dust. Still, to each his/her own.
exactly correct. lighter colors, though not as "dazzling", appear to stay cleaner for MUCH longer. darker colors, while "dazzling" when clean, appear dirtier mcuh faster. i have no idea what it is. but brown dirt shows up on black in a heartbeat. on the otherhand, my white sienna always looks car wash fresh, up until you step right next to it, and then realize it hasnt been washed for weeks! that is the price you pay for both light colored AND dark colored cars. and that is why our van is white (used more often, kids are always in it...) and our yaris is black (only for work commutes and the occasional weekend...)!

--B
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
man white and silver are paint in the ass when it's come to waxing, hard to see, miss alot of spots, black are way to go.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
H2XcapePod

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
About the colors...I love the red becasue it shows no dirt or more importantly right now, pollen. I thought my car was still clean until I parked it under some funny flourescent lighting in the mall parking garage. Pluss the reflections in it gets alot of compliments,...I've had a few people ask what I've used and also asked if I used claybar. Permaseal is the best wax/polish i've ever used. I got it from a car show back in feburary but I believe they have a website.
HTML Code:
http://www.permasealwax.com/
the price is steep but I stand by the quality.
These pics are 4 months after 1 application.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/IMG_1193.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/IMG_1190.jpg
H2XcapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Black Magic car wax is #1

You want to buy 'Black Magic' car wax. It is inexpensive (about $7.00 a bottle) and outperformed almost evry other car wax on the market. It's been rated #1 by Consumer Reports too. I put 2 coats on my car last August, and it is STILL beading up when it rains. It is easy to apply, and very VERY durable. Don't go by price...just because a car wax costs an arm & a leg does NOT make it better. Stick with what CR recommends.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
You want to buy 'Black Magic' car wax. It is inexpensive (about $7.00 a bottle) and outperformed almost evry other car wax on the market. It's been rated #1 by Consumer Reports too. I put 2 coats on my car last August, and it is STILL beading up when it rains. It is easy to apply, and very VERY durable. Don't go by price...just because a car wax costs an arm & a leg does NOT make it better. Stick with what CR recommends.
hey can you show me how to use that bottle man, i got no luck with it, it's hard to get off. pita, should i put a light coat entire car and wait for like 5-10 minutes before wipe and buffer it?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Phew! Static 808, after I wrote my post, I was struck with the notion that you might take offense. I'm so glad you didn't. I have a white Subaru Forester, and that gets dirty faste too. Silver seems to be somewhere in-between. As I said, I like the black and probably would have bought one if they had had a manual with the options I wanted. It was only when I saw the metorite metallice in person that I recongnized how beautiful it was.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
static808

hahah, no worries pete! to the other poster's regarding the black magic brand, i havent used their waxes, but their wheel stuff works very well (wheel cleaner and tire shine) and its one of the cheaper brands out there. i use all meguiars stuff, but its because i have a porter cable orbital polisher. since i bought it i might as well use it! one meguiars product that doesnt work well in my experience is their 3-step line. i get good results with their professional series stuff...

--B
Old 06-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #12
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Black Magic brand car wax

Yes, you want to use a very light coat of Black Magic...less is more. It's better to use 2 light coats than one thick coat, which is hard to remove. People spend a LOT of money on expensive car waxes because they think that paying more will assure them a better & more durable shine. Not true! Go by the recommendation of Consumer Reports, and they rate it #1 for price, ease of use, and durability. Not bad for a $7 bottle of wax, eh?
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
davembfan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Post thanks!!

Hey guys thanks so much for all the replies. So it looks like the black magic wax is what I will go with. The ice made the car shine but it didnt seem to protect at all.... anyone else notice this?
davembfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
The best wax in the world is the Aerospace industry grade wax! OR GET JDM WAX!

Your Yaris is silver so it will appear dazzling like crystal at night with some dim lighting!

BTW: Turtle Wax Ice is crappy I'd buy Zymol, Meguiars and Mothers off the shelf any day for the same price as ICE!...

But remember, wash, partial dry, clay bar using detailer, wash again. fully dry, polish with PC-random orbital polisher and some good stuff from www.danase.com, and then use wax (matte finish) or sealer(glossy) to finish it off!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
hehe i just used Meguiars' quick detailer on my wife's Yaris...I use it on my car all the time...one day I'll use the yeallow wax too...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
JHamCT
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, Manual
I've used "Blitz Wax" for the past few years on my Audi's, and have been very happy with the quality, price, and how long it lasts. It's made by One Grand, and is available at many online resellers.

Blitz is on par with the more expensive P21S products... lasts almost as long, and is not as expensive. After years of trying many different waxes, I've settled on the Blitz wax, and have already put a coat of it on the Liftback ;)

Meguiars and Mothers Gold are good... not the best, but readily available.
JHamCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Zaino Z2 Pro Show Car Polish...It will make that silver pop off the car!

Cheers
If you have a chance see echo's car. I became a believer!!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Yes, you want to use a very light coat of Black Magic...less is more. It's better to use 2 light coats than one thick coat, which is hard to remove. People spend a LOT of money on expensive car waxes because they think that paying more will assure them a better & more durable shine. Not true! Go by the recommendation of Consumer Reports, and they rate it #1 for price, ease of use, and durability. Not bad for a $7 bottle of wax, eh?
CR didn't test the Black Magic against any of the really good polishes like Zaino, Duragloss, or Classe. If they had, it wouldn't have been ranked #1 because they are much better products.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote