Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #109
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I connected two grounds to the cylinder head and the neg. batt cable to the trans. I will double check them tomarrow and clean them. Thanks for good idea.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #110
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Is the harness hooked back up completely, including the ground terminals that bolt to the block as some of those are the only ground for some of the sensors?

Those two grounds on the driver's side create quite the symptoms if not attached properly...I can attest to that!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #111
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
I am not able to start my car after reassembly. I am getting spark and fuel but I think the timing may be off I have tried swaping cam and crank sensors already. I have also double checked timing chain. I can see rpm on my scanner when cranking engine. Compression dry is 85-90 psi and 120 with a little oil. I know the rings have not seated yet. I am wondering if the crankshaft tone ring on a older 1nz may be differn't from my newer engine I took out. The part number for the sensor is the same.

If anyone has had similar problem after engine swap let me know? I bought a timing light and will try to check soon while cranking. It will sputter a little but will not start.

Any ideas welcome?
I had a problem very similar to yours when I did the desludge in a 2003 camry 4 cyl. I actually had the exhaust cam 90degrees off. Because of the timing marks are all 4 points of the cam gear and only one of those marks has a very small extra mark below it that was covered up just a little bit that I missed with the wire brush.

Double/triple check your marks on your cam gears and make sure you have the correct marks and all your lobes are pointing in the correct position in TDC.

There was no damage to the 2az motor because of this. Just something to check also. You never know. good luck
Old 05-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #112
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I will check the cam timing again. The grounds are all good. I even attached a jumper cable from neg. battery to engine block. No luck yet. I feel im getting closer though. Thanks for tips everyone.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #113
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Holly shit U were right. Thanks so much "I like rice" U have no idea how much I have been stressing over this rebuild that wont start. I will correct this and see if she fires up.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #114
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Holly shit U were right. Thanks so much "I like rice" U have no idea how much I have been stressing over this rebuild that wont start. I will correct this and see if she fires up.

your welcome pimp! So glad this worked for you and I am not the only one who has made that mistake.. hahaha.. I felt like an ass when I did it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #115
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Well I got it started after correcting exhaust cam timing that was off 90 degrees. Took it for a drive after burping coolant bubbles. It sounded like I have marbles in my engine at idle and I had a knocking noise under load. I did this test drive without the turbo and mass air and air filter attached directly to the T-body. I thought for sure I had some major piston slap going on under load causing the knocking.

I just about threw in the towl on this motor. I was still fucking around at 9:30 last night and decided to hook up the turbo just for kicks. Mabe take it out with a bang! I was blown away when the knocking noise went away. I am certain now it was internal engine noise coming through the air filter.

I still have the marbles noise at idle but I believe it may be a valve clearance problem. I hope. I will check it out and let you all know. This has been a very stressfull weekend.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #116
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
This is a very nice thread. Hope your car is running well.
Are you planning to run beyond the normal rev limit? Any plans to change to the yaris cup valve springs,since you may have to check the valve clearance anyways?

Also what break in procedure are you following?
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #117
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Well I got it started after correcting exhaust cam timing that was off 90 degrees. Took it for a drive after burping coolant bubbles. It sounded like I have marbles in my engine at idle and I had a knocking noise under load. I did this test drive without the turbo and mass air and air filter attached directly to the T-body. I thought for sure I had some major piston slap going on under load causing the knocking.

I just about threw in the towl on this motor. I was still fucking around at 9:30 last night and decided to hook up the turbo just for kicks. Mabe take it out with a bang! I was blown away when the knocking noise went away. I am certain now it was internal engine noise coming through the air filter.

I still have the marbles noise at idle but I believe it may be a valve clearance problem. I hope. I will check it out and let you all know. This has been a very stressfull weekend.
The valve spring buckets vary in thickness , were they put back in the original positions? That may be the noise. Most built motors do make some noise because of the extra piston to wall clearance forged pistons call for.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #118
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalls View Post
This is a very nice thread. Hope your car is running well.
Are you planning to run beyond the normal rev limit? Any plans to change to the yaris cup valve springs,since you may have to check the valve clearance anyways?

Also what break in procedure are you following?
No plans to change rev limit at this time. I have no more money at this time to change valve springs. If I get the engine sorted out, I will change turbo and exhaust manafold and turbo back exhaust system.

I am taking it easy on the engine "below 4K rpm" for about 750-1000 miles
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #119
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
The valve spring buckets vary in thickness , were they put back in the original positions? That may be the noise. Most built motors do make some noise because of the extra piston to wall clearance forged pistons call for.
Yes, I am wondering about valve spring bucket placement. I will check this out in the next day or two. I needed a day to break and destress. Just out of curiosity does your engine have some piston rattle at idle? I know its sleeved but I am sure U are still running forged pistons.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #120
Blown_xa

Quote:
Yes, I am wondering about valve spring bucket placement. I will check this out in the next day or two. I needed a day to break and destress. Just out of curiosity does your engine have some piston rattle at idle? I know its sleeved but I am sure U are still running forged pistons.
It isn't sleeved actually, and yes... it sounds like a vw tdi.

Ptuning.com
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #121
DentGuy

Drives: Supra
Don't go easy on the engine Brian. Higher cylinder pressures will push the rings out against against the cylinder wall which will make them seat better.
DentGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #122
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Mine is sleeved and I have some noise.

Our break-in included 5 or 10 minutes at 2000 rpm, change the oil, I think two rounds of that at different rpm's, before driving.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #123
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Ok, I checked all valves and they are all within toyota spec. And VW TDI is the pefect way to describe the noise at idle. A older VW from the 90's, not one of those new ones that are so quite.

They should tell you this in the instructions for the pistons so you don't loose your mind when you start it.

Took it for a drive again and got on her a little. No problems so far. I can feel I lost a little torque with the lower compression pistons. I will make it up later once some fuel upgrades are done and I can crank up the boost a little.

I am so happy to have a car again. And the clutchmasters clutch is much more streetable then my 6 puck ceramic clutch I was using. Although pedal pressure is much higher with this new clutch.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #124
Blown_xa

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215013 some more photos of a clean setup I just did on a friends xB (for future ideas). Made 156whp at 4psi on our dyno, pretty darn awesome ( about 171 dynojet). It still has factory cat!

Ptuning.com
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #125
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215013 some more photos of a clean setup I just did on a friends xB (for future ideas). Made 156whp at 4psi on our dyno, pretty darn awesome ( about 171 dynojet). It still has factory cat!

That sounds pretty amazing. Is there a lot of turbo lag? What other mods are on it? 4psi for 156 just sounds high for what we see here, is the xB plumbing bigger stock?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #126
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Did some retuning today. Engine is running great. It is running a little rich with the lower compression pistons.