Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #19
dacourier

Drives: Black Sand Lift Back
Plus a supercharged yaris just seems right for some reason...[/QUOTE]Hell yeah
Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
bahhhh that jackass that was selling the supercharger for cheap took it offline, what an asshat...kind of pissed right now, trying to see if i can find another deal...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #21
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
wow, so technically as the cost of living goes up, pay gets cut and layoffs, and we get screwed even more... very nice

Regardless I cannot use engine management as of now anyways so i'm going to wing it without it until i find a better method than is out there now.....and pricing just depends where you shop until you find a good price...

I think the mounting brackets would have been cheaper than most things, its just a piece of metal that you could possibly make yourself with rough measurements..

If i were to do turbo(Already have two spare K03's), id just rather buy richards kit anyways for it being the easier thing to do, the supercharger kit requires no welding, and the ARC welder i have sucks and spatter will go everywhere... Plus a supercharged yaris just seems right for some reason...
rough measurements are for horseshoes and hand grenades..

getting your pulley to line up perfectly will be an issue, and making a bracket strong enough will be difficult without aluminum..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
times are getting better, and i think it is a big hype for everyone, which is making it seems worse than it really is currently... Just do your best to get by and try to cut out un-needed items and it will make you feel better... like smoking... if you do smoke... nasty habbit

The cost I will try to estimate as best as i can...
Supercharger - $250
Piping/Flange work - $100(need custom parts made)
Mounting Brackets - $50
Misc Parts/Belt $50

So around $450 for a nice working kit. Honestly the only hard part i see about this kit is lining it up with the pulleys(Anyone know how much room for error in play i can have?) and custom flanges > piping will require some sheetmetal work or atleast for me to fiberglass something durable quickly and make a gasket for it...
No way is it going to come close to being that cheap. You need an entire manifold made, runners with fuel injector bosses, flanges on each end and it looks like the blower snout is not long enough. It will be over $2000 (probably closer to $3000) unless you do everything yourself. On top of all that the blower snout looks too short.

You are better off going with a centrifugal blower or turbo.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #23
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
I have some experience in designing and building supercharger kits(we designed and built the blower systems for Stillen on the Maxima)-here are a few tips. The belt alignment has to be perfect in every axis or you will throw belts. The blower can blow through the MAF,but it will be much better to draw through the MAF and the throttle body should be mounted in front of the supercharger, not on the manifold in stock configuration. You can run without a bypass valve by air temps will go up significantly under cruise conditions and will use more fuel this way (increased parasitic loses). I doubt the stock MAF will be able to cope with additional airflow from blower, but might work at lower boost levels-we have had good luck in NA applications up to 123 wheel hp so far. Blower needs to be rigidly mounted using mounting plate to engine to keep belt alignment true-this takes some design work. It is a good idea to have blower blow through stock intake as this will help ower compared to blitz set up with short runners. This is not something that can be thrown together, but it can work.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I'm halfway through a Biltz installation right now and the engine compartment is getting very crowded. As Richard said, whatever you throw together had better make sure all your pulleys are lined up and parallel.

From the picture in the original post, you might need to cut a hole in your hood cause that sucker is big!

Like largeorangefont said, you need to build a new intake manifold or get Richard to make you one.

I don't know what are the major cost drivers in a complete supercharger kit but the compressor is only a part of it.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

DO IT DO IT !
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
I have some experience in designing and building supercharger kits(we designed and built the blower systems for Stillen on the Maxima)-here are a few tips. The belt alignment has to be perfect in every axis or you will throw belts. The blower can blow through the MAF,but it will be much better to draw through the MAF and the throttle body should be mounted in front of the supercharger, not on the manifold in stock configuration. You can run without a bypass valve by air temps will go up significantly under cruise conditions and will use more fuel this way (increased parasitic loses). I doubt the stock MAF will be able to cope with additional airflow from blower, but might work at lower boost levels-we have had good luck in NA applications up to 123 wheel hp so far. Blower needs to be rigidly mounted using mounting plate to engine to keep belt alignment true-this takes some design work. It is a good idea to have blower blow through stock intake as this will help ower compared to blitz set up with short runners. This is not something that can be thrown together, but it can work.
FYI on the MAF, it's the same units used on the Subaru STI.. it'll handle plenty of air flow :)
Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #27
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Thanks for the advice Richard, and its good to hear the MAF would be able to handle it...

I will not be making a new intake manifold just utilizing the stock one with a connecting pipe, the air does not need to be direct as it still holds the same pressure charge.... with an intercooler, it will cut down on bends in the pipe work...

but you are right, the mounting will take alot of work if not the most... I have my cardboard and scissor ready ;)

But i still have a couple of recirc valves from an S4 and a small intercooler to boot

This is pretty much what it will look like, might be ghetto, but a supercharger setup that is cheap, would you argue?

Last edited by Nexus1155; 11-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #28
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
I love this home made stuff-you should see my compound turbo system on my 1987 Sprint-full Mad Max style.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Richard, and its good to hear the MAF would be able to handle it...

I will not be making a new intake manifold just utilizing the stock one with a connecting pipe, the air does not need to be direct as it still holds the same pressure charge.... with an intercooler, it will cut down on bends in the pipe work...

but you are right, the mounting will take alot of work if not the most... I have my cardboard and scissor ready ;)

But i still have a couple of recirc valves from an S4 and a small intercooler to boot

This is pretty much what it will look like, might be ghetto, but a supercharger setup that is cheap, would you argue?

richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
whats the part number off of that supercharger. im going to see what my cost is on it.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

It is an Eaton M45, P/n 117159-10,7526657-01 ....surprised i found that... Got any pics of the Turbo Sprint Richard?

No pics means it didn't happen ;) I would love to see it though
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #31
Tamago

a turbocharger can be had for $50
a cast manifold for $180

but hey, good luck ;)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #32
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

turboing just has more knitpicky parts :-/ thats the only reason im not doing it...

but supercharger, ohh man...

Woooooooo....Woooooooooo...WOOOOOOOOOO
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #33
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
If you do this your my hero.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #34
Tamago

Quote:
turboing just has more knitpicky parts :-/ thats the only reason im not doing it...

but supercharger, ohh man...

Woooooooo....Woooooooooo...WOOOOOOOOOO
be specific.. what nitpicky parts?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #35
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

oil lines/coolant lines/AN Fittings/Having to tape the block/pan/Wastegates/Boost Controllers/Intercooler/ More Custom Pipe work/etc....

Supercharging is based off the intake side, which means i do not need to do pipework, just making flanges with pipes.

There is a perfectly substitutable flex pipe in the marine world that holds up to70psi of boost and has good flow. Albeit it being Orange(maybe wrap it with electrical tape or some crap, variety of colors now), it is still somewhat pricey, but i think it will save tons on costs versus piping. If it could withstand the hotside of a turbo, i would've did that, but almost all silicone/rubber melts at those degrees...

And it is not like i am trying to build a monster here, the supercharger with a reduced pulley can make some good power... If i were trying to make a drag monster/track warrior... I would not keep this engine at all unless i had about 10k to throw into internals...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #36
Tamago

Quote:
oil lines/coolant lines/AN Fittings/Having to tape the block/pan/Wastegates/Boost Controllers/Intercooler/ More Custom Pipe work/etc....

Supercharging is based off the intake side, which means i do not need to do pipework, just making flanges with pipes.

There is a perfectly substitutable flex pipe in the marine world that holds up to70psi of boost and has good flow. Albeit it being Orange(maybe wrap it with electrical tape or some crap, variety of colors now), it is still somewhat pricey, but i think it will save tons on costs versus piping. If it could withstand the hotside of a turbo, i would've did that, but almost all silicone/rubber melts at those degrees...

And it is not like i am trying to build a monster here, the supercharger with a reduced pulley can make some good power... If i were trying to make a drag monster/track warrior... I would not keep this engine at all unless i had about 10k to throw into internals...
oil lines:
you tee into the oil pressure sensor already tapped at the block.
no one says you have to use AN fittings ;)
you don't have to tap the oil pan, use a sandwich adaptor. run the oil coming out of the turbo into your oil cooler and back into the engine

turbo:
you won't need a wastegate as most small turbos are internally gated
which also means you don't need a boost controller
you don't need an intercooler on low boost applications
and believe me, piping is much easier to fab than a bracket with "rough measurements" to hold a supercharger spinning 4X engine speed.
you can use that silicon exhaust hose for the charge air coming out of a turbo too ;)