Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Handling impressions from owners

Hi all,

I want to know what each of you owners think of the handling of your Yaris's, whether stock or modified.

When my car was stock I found that the suspension was somewhat tauter than what I had read... being soft and supple. I found that in stock form, it was comfortable but taut. This tautness translated into less body roll and better balance(than what i expected) without sacrificing too much on comfort.

What I found bad about the suspension was that it is very prone to understeer around sharp corners. I guess the engineers that designed it, designed the understeer characteristic in for safety purposes.

Now I really want to get a heavy duty sway bar to bring more balance to the rear.... but there isn't one available at the moment... darn.....

Do you's feel the same about your Yaris's handling?
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
^ I agree. and I believe right now the only sway bar available for the yaris is the C-One. Probably will be the only one fr some time i think.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I want that sway bar, but havn't heard anyone report on it yet
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I've said it before (well the last couple of days... ), when I installed the df210s I noticed less body roll around turns... aka in my mind ='s better handling.

I'd say if stock handling where on a scale of 1-10 it would be about a 5. after the df's its about a 7. I am probaly going to be getting either the c-one sway bar or get one of my friends with a metal shop/access to one to make my own (Front and prob rear if i get them made...). then I think that the handling would be closer to a 9/9.5

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I think it will be nice if they would have an Independent MacPherson strut in the rear wheels, nothing to do with the handling but the suspension will be better...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Thanks PPL,

I think I'll end up doing a custom jobby cause there are no C-one products sold here. I wander if the Echo(previous model Yaris)'s sway bar might fit because they do sell those here... hmmmm.

I'll checkit out....
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
the fact also that the front sway bar does not bolt to the suspension tab but bolts to thestrut might have changed alot also altough it looks weird...

but man that chassis is stiff compared to the echo

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
For $14k, the things a beast. Mine is on rails and I haven't done anything to stiffen her up yet.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I agree, for 14k it does what it does very well.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Ι am very pleased with the handling of my Yaris LB.Generally it is very predictive and controllable.

The only the thing that I dislike is that the car has very soft set up, in order to be nice for its passengers.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
I have Eibachs on stock struts/shocks with 17" tires. I find that it handles pretty well. The turn in and NVH is quite good and lift-off oversteer is easy to induce.

That said, I would also add that with those tires and springs, the front high speed dampening (for big bumps) is WAY too slow. It makes it a bit too bouncy and unbalanced when hitting bumps on curves.

I recently switched back to my all seasons (175/65/14) and the lack of adequate dampening is far less noticeable and better matched.

I may consider selling the wheels/tires and getting a lightweight 15" set up.
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
We had a rainy day out here yesterday, so I get out of work at 8:30 and I see a big open parking lot in front of me so I figured what the hell... lets see what she can do. I was popping 180's like it was my job. I probably pulled 10 in a row, and on a couple I even hit reverse just right and continued on. I wished I had a bigger lot so I could try two 180's, but I didn't have enough room. The car handled wonderfully... never felt unstable or gave me the slightest inkling that it might tip. It would be a bad ass stunt car, haha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Lucky you!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
firefly1_0
What the...?

Drives: '06 Blazing Blue 3 door RS.
i put the eibach lowering springs on before i even picked up the car from the dealer, and from day one it rides really well for what the car really is.

An ECONOBOX!

daily driving that is alot of fun? yes.

SOLO 1, 2 or lapping? ...never!

i think that there is somehting wrong with my brain though, i seem to like the smaller cars.

my other car is a custom tuned 115 HP geo metro turbo, now that car is on rails!

...and the engine is way smaller.

silly ricer, useless wings are for penguins...
firefly1_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Handling is OK
A little better then what i expected from an economy car, and far better then some of the other I test drove like the couple Chevys, hyundia and kia etc
But you can't even begin to compare it to a sports car or more performance designed machine like the mazda 3 sport.

With the OE 15" wheels on my RS the car suffers from understeer under heavy power and decelerating it suffers from oversteer. Both are controlable and predictable but it's a down fall to the handling. Undernormal driving conditions maintaining speed through turns it stays right on track with no hint of under or oversteer. its a weight distribution problem because with passengers the understeer is a lot worse but over steer is better.
But hey this car was designed as a economy comuter car and nothing else.

Braking is good. Right up there with some of the more costly mid sized car. but again the rear end is light and can get loose easily. IMO 4 wheel disks would be a bad idea with out a lower pressure distribution valve. The rear drums are easy to lock up and provide more then enough braking power.

At high speed the car tends to be a little touch due to the electric steering but many get use to it quickly and like the light feel after a while. High speed stability is fair, it's a small car but feel and handles like a bigger car. Side winds tend to push the car around a lot like most small cars and with the touchy electric steering can make it for a bit of a choppy ride on real wind days

Overall I would give it a 2.5 to 3 out of 5.

heavier sway bars, lower springs with close to stock preload, or adjustable struts/coilovers, and better tires could make this a great handling little car. But until then it's only average.
Personally I would not dump that kind of $$$ into an econo box or sacrifice ride quality for a better handling 100HP car. Lowering springs sure.... but that's about it.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
Greg66
New Guy

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch
My Yaris is stock other than 16" CR's with 215/40-16's...it handles like its on rails...and i drive it hard. Usually cruise the highway at 130-140 km/h. I 'LOVE' this car. Planning exhaust and intake upgrades and possibly lowering her. Really like that INGS+1 front end, possibly a future Mod as well. Hell, I need some money.

Last edited by Greg66; 10-21-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Greg66 is offline   Reply With Quote