Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
aluminum underpanel

ok guys as requested I did some research into finding out how much it would cost to have some aluminum underpanels made. We are looking at more then likely 100-125, that was for my one off piece, I didn't ask how much it would be for numerous panels. The beatrush jdm one I believe is around 200$ thats the price of just about all of their underpanels for any car. The shop where I would get them from would not be able to punch out louvers either so basically we would wind up using a hole saw and putting some holes in the panel. It could also be towards the cheap end if no bends are needed. The only other thing that would knock the cost down is for us to drill our own. That way it gives everyone their own option for installation. I can do a write up on my install but there would be numerous different ways to install the underpanel, ie nut and bolt, rivet, zip tie, or self tapping screw. Let me know how many of you are serious about wanting one. I will be more then likely making at least one for myself so you I can still do the write up and go from there.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
it is usefull ? i have the aem intake and maybe it can help for the water not to go up?..
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
turboyaris

yea it can help that. That isnt its main function at all. The main purpose of the panel is to reduce under car turbulence caused by air entering the engine bay from underneath the vehicle. This turbulence swirls around inside the engine bay and slows down causing an increase in drag. At the same time, the air entering at a high velocity underneath and travelling up into the engine bay will cause lift this can be noticed at higher speeds +70ish when the front end begins to wander slightly. This is caused by the lift and the overall fact that the car itself is light. That being said the underpanel will keep air from entering the bottom of the engine bay instead it will proceed quickly through the underside of the vehicle and exit in the rear. The benefits of the increase in frontal downforce should be immediatly apparent, more so the higher speed you travel.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is to mention nothing of the fact that it keeps things like rocks and roadkill from crapping up your bay.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i want one depending on the price :p ($us to $ca make thing expensive sometime..)
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
what about engine cooling once the engine bay is blocked off?

also any cnc shop could make this panel, and cut out the notches you want..

and any old school body shop will have a machine to make louvers if thats what you want.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
turboyaris

sheet metal fabrication companies are your best bet, its not heavy duty enough to need that plus the sheet metal guys have a wider array of thinner metals, as far as engine cooling the majority of that is done by the radiator not the underbody of the car, you need the openings in the underbody to allow some air to escape so it doesnt get trapped in the engine bay. as far as the louvers, yes i could get them done by taking them to another shop, i was only stating that the shop where the panels were made don't offer that, I am trying to keep the cost under the 175 for the beatrush one, not that louvers would cost much, just saying.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
sheet metal fabrication companies are your best bet, its not heavy duty enough to need that plus the sheet metal guys have a wider array of thinner metals, as far as engine cooling the majority of that is done by the radiator not the underbody of the car, you need the openings in the underbody to allow some air to escape so it doesnt get trapped in the engine bay. as far as the louvers, yes i could get them done by taking them to another shop, i was only stating that the shop where the panels were made don't offer that, I am trying to keep the cost under the 175 for the beatrush one, not that louvers would cost much, just saying.
maybe I'm wrong but doesn't air need to flow around the engine compartment to cool things also, and with your panel the air entering the rad area has no where to escape?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
turboyaris

air around the engine bay does very little to cool the engine, it is usually warm after passing through the radiator. and thats why you need vents in the panel, to allow air to escape. There are several different options for vents, louvers is usually the most common.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
If someone gets a shop to make this cheaper than C-ONE it could be a potential group buy I'd be interested.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
turboyaris

thats the whole point... first I am going to make the template up and have one made just for me. Then what I am going to do is run some tests to determine whether or not enough air escapes the engine bay, and to make sure engine compartment temps are around the same with the panel installed as opposed to not and to make sure engine temperatures themselves don't creep because of inadequete flow downstream of the radiatior. I'm hoping a noticeable difference in downforce will be noticed right away as well, but we will see. It is a little harder to measure those numbers though, unless someone wants to invest in suspension travel measurers (the technical term currently escapes me).
Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
I can see this being useful.

I can't see it being that expensive to produce... looks like a flat panel of aluminium to me? Should be able to be sold under $100 on a GB without any issues.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I origanally thought you were talking about a full belly pan, but really don't know now...could you explain a little better? Checked on the price of aluminum and a 4' x 8' sheet .09 thick is close to $500 and up depending on the grade!!!! You could probably find cheaper than the quick source I checked, but still only get 2' x 4' x .09" for $78 and the same size .063 thick for $57 (cheapest grade thru McMaster Carr)!!!!

Last edited by churp; 04-26-2007 at 11:58 PM.
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
We can get teh BEATRUSH underpanel. I'll check on availability tomorrow.
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I origanally thought you were talking about a full belly pan, but really don't know now...could you explain a little better? Checked on the price of aluminum and a 4' x 8' sheet .09 thick is close to $500 and up depending on the grade!!!! You could probably find cheaper than the quick source I checked, but still only get 2' x 4' x .09" for $78 and the same size .063 thick for $57 (cheapest grade thru McMaster Carr)!!!!
I'm about 45 mins from mcmaster :)

Good folks.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2AUTOSPL View Post
We can get teh BEATRUSH underpanel. I'll check on availability tomorrow.
Pictures of the BEATRUSH or C-One would be very helpful
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Hmm...anyone know if the panel fits the Yaris sedan?? Is the placement the same? I mean the mounts points on the LB and Sedan?? Thanks....i would be intersted in this too...
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
turboyaris

here is a picture of the panel http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3807
i don't know if it would fit the sedan or not. I imagine that the points and all would be very similar. The design I am going to make will be for the sedan and I will then need to find a liftback in the area to see if it would fit or need modification.