Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
mijemc

Drives: Yaris
Hej
I just think about Toyotas spareparts list. Do anyone know how to get the list, are the list on the Internet.
I want to see if the spareparts (ABS systems) are i others Toyota models. If yes, have there been ABS problems in this models.
It could be very funny to see, fore eksempel if there is a problem with the ABS system in a model from, from eksample 2004 , wich share the same ABS system as the Yaris. Why have Toyota not fix that problem before Toyota use the system in the Yaris. That will be a very good ? to ask Toyota about. If that is the case.

Hmm: I now the gramma sucks, but you are all over 18 yers, pleace do the gramma for this Dane.
Michael
mijemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
wow, i see more ppl complaining about this sensor problem than the actual brake issue from Prius and the sticky accelerator, and yet, we got not recall. That accelerator recall has been taken out of proportion for sure.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
Add me to the List - ABS light and Explaination mark brake light on

Hi everyone - WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER TO GET A RECALL DONE!!

I did a separate post, but it should have been made here instead considering HOW MANY of us Yaris users this is happening to. Parts are backordered because of the SHEER VOLUME of sensors and harnesses being replaced.

I own a 2007 Yaris Sedan.

My brake light and ABS light are permanently on.
My brakes have been looked at, they are fine.

After paying the dealer over $100 to "diagnose" the problem, they deemed it to be my Right Rear Speed Sensor.

They say it is "seized", "faulty", "inoperable"
and recommend me replacing it along with the hub and Bearing.

The code used for the speed sensor is
CODE C0210 Right Rear Speed Sensor

Part to replace it with is
42450-52060, 89516-52090

suggested $925.40 parts and labor

just so we can compare notes....

Let me get this right. My brakes are fine, yet I need to dish out almost a thousand dollars because the speed sensor is telling me the brakes are "not" right?

The problem comes back in later years to be paid for over and over again, which shows it is a FAULTY part.

Toyota needs to make sure the Yaris is equipped to withstand snowy conditions without costing it's customers a fortune. I'm still making payments and shouldn't be having this type of problem in a fairly new car.

Right now I am just leaving the lights on, so ticked off!!

opinions anyone? How do you organize in order to find out how many people are going through this and get our voices heard for a recall?

thanks,
J
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
EmiliaZ

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
ABS and Brake Light On- YES

This is just great! My abs and brake light have come on (and off several times), and unfortunately, I see that I am not alone. Ugh, Toyota's reputation for quality is crumbling. Their "reputation" was one of the main reasons I opted for this company (and I am sure that I am not alone in this). I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow, and will definitely file a formal complaint.

As one poster suggested, perhaps when the 09's reach the three year mark, this will become a recall issue since all of the 09's are automatically equipped with abs. Too bad for the rest of us.

Something definitely needs to be done. I will re-post after I get the issue diagnosed by the dealer.

Before I go, I'll take it to a car wash, see if that helps, as many have suggested that it may be a rust/ debris issue with the sensors. The 600 parts on back order have me worried!!
EmiliaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
DuckHunt

Drives: 2007 & 2008 Yaris Sedans
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiliaZ View Post
As one poster suggested, perhaps when the 09's reach the three year mark, this will become a recall issue since all of the 09's are automatically equipped with abs. Too bad for the rest of us.
It doesn't take three years to see the problem. I've had three fail in under three years on mine two Yaris. My 2008 had one fail at 10 months.

The problem will not be present in 2009 models. Per the TSB-0120-08 Toyota corrected the problem in late 2008 models with an improved connector on the rear wheel speed sensors. The problem occurs in 2007 and 2008 Sedans and Hatchbacks. The previous part number was 89544-52040. The new sensor part number is 89544-02070. The wiring is unchanged. The connector improvement is on the sensor itself.

I've filed three complaints with our nhtsa.gov in hopes to increase awareness. Toyota is aware of the design issue, and they have a fix for it. My complaint is that they are charging us consumers for the repair action when this poor design fails. I will have paid $1700 US for two of the three repairs because my cars mileage are beyond the warranty period.

DuckHunt
DuckHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
EmiliaZ

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunt View Post
It doesn't take three years to see the problem. I've had three fail in under three years on mine two Yaris. My 2008 had one fail at 10 months.

The problem will not be present in 2009 models. Per the TSB-0120-08 Toyota corrected the problem in late 2008 models with an improved connector on the rear wheel speed sensors. The problem occurs in 2007 and 2008 Sedans and Hatchbacks. The previous part number was 89544-52040. The new sensor part number is 89544-02070. The wiring is unchanged. The connector improvement is on the sensor itself.

DuckHunt

Wow, I had no clue the late 08's had the fix. Also, I cannot imagine being without the extended warranty at this time. It is ludicrous that Toyota is requiring people to pay for these inherent problems.
EmiliaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
lwight
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
My Yaris is an October 07 model that I've had for a year this month. I've been having the same problems as the rest of you I think!!

In December we got real bad snow and ice here and as I left home to join the main road in rush hour traffic my brakes failed on me for the first time!! As the roads were really bad and I was going down a slight incline to get to the junction I had started to brake very early, just to make sure I would be able to stop OK. On my first attempt to brake nothing happened it just felt like the peddle wouldn't go down and I kept sliding forwards, second attempt I tried gentle slow pumping of the brakes and the same thing happened but with quite a bit of grating noise this time. The 3rd attempt was very scary as I knew by then I had no brakes and this was my last chance to stop the car but as I was going down a gentle slope the car was actually speeding up, at the last minute I decided not to cross the carriage way to go right but to turn left in the hope I would only get hit by one line of on coming traffic and not 2!!!! With my foot still trying to brake I also tried to steer left but the whole system seemed to go very stiff as if the power steering was off as well as the brakes, I ended up across the middle of the road having been unable to steer at all. Somehow even though the roads were bumper to bumper with traffic everyone had stopped and managed to avoid me but it left me feeling like a fool and very scared!!! My partner took my car out for a test drive a few days later (still in bad weather) and declared the brakes perfectly ok....so silly woman who has been driving everyday for 24 years just forgot how to drive was the theory I think!!! Next day I went out and the same thing happened luckily this time on a quiet road where it was not so much of a problem. I parked the car up and didn't drive it for 5 weeks until all the snow had cleared. In that time I drove my partners Jag with no problems in the snow!! When I got into my car again I noticed the ABS light was jammed on and stayed that way for 2 days then went off of it's own accord.

I've been driving the car now for about 6 weeks quite happily when 2 days ago the same thing happened to me but this time on a dry road which I noticed seemed to have quite a bit of loose gravel dropped on it for some reason. I came round a roundabout and down an incline and there was a queue of traffic, I was only doing about 25mph and it wasn't an emergency by any means, I went to brake and it was like I could only get the peddle to move maybe about 10% of the way down and it wouldn't go any further, there was loads of noise like crushing ice or coffee beans in a blender and I could also feel the noise coming through the peddle if that makes sense.....at the point where I thought I was going into the back of the car in front the brakes worked at last...and the ABS light stuck on. I took my car next day to the Toyota garage, they did the recall test while I was there and checked my brakes out and declared them perfect (their words) unfortunately the ABS light went off as I drove into the garage. They tried telling me it might just be the ABS kicking in but I know what ABS is like when it works and this isn't it!!!! So I got sent away and told just to keep an eye on them lol.....I'm now driving waiting for my next
near miss...well lets hope its another near miss and not an actual crash next time!!

I've been searching the internet and can't believe how many people are complaining and getting nowhere with Toyota...they must know something is seriously wrong here. I had my last Yaris for 7 year and never had any problems ever... which is why I decided to stick with the same when I renewed last year!! I just wish I had kept my old car now.

I will keep an eye on you guys and see if you can get anywhere with all of this xx
lwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
zodieman
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
My ABS light came on on my 07 a couple of weeks ago and would go on and off a few times a day. I thought cold affected it but it was all over the place.
I took it to my dealer and they said it needed a new right read hub to the tune of $800 CND. I passed on the repair for the time being.

After reading this thread on cleaning the sensor so I thought I would give it a try since it doesn't cost me anything to at try. I can confirm at least in my case that cleaning the sensor did the trick! ABS light is off, ABS is working perfectly again!

Toyota has a faulty design with the ABS sensor location and shouldn't be trying to gouge without at least trying to clean it first. Dealers can be crooks.
zodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
i'm glad that the DIY cleaning and lube job fix the problem. However mind you that not every Yaris owners are car enthusiasts like we are . Most don't know zap about cars especially removing the brake components. Mind you more than 80% of Yaris owners are simple mind drivers whom know/care little about cars and DIY may not an option to them. Toyota should definitely step up and at least attempt to address the issue without gouging us $900 for their faulty design!
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
I have a feeling that once the 2009's hit the 3 year mark (when the problem seems start) it may get recalled because every 09 has ABS where it was optional in 2007-08 and it seems not many where equipped.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
firstyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Attetion CANADIAN OWNERS

I've sent a email to Transport Canada and they have asked to file a formal complaint. I will do so and request anyone who had/has an issue, please file so we can get Toyota to act on this common problem. Recall or not, Toyota has to fix it. My2Cents

Here is Transport Canada's email:

If you have experienced this problem with your vehicle, we request that you complete our on-line complaint form. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number (VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information. Please check the box that will allow us to contact the manufacturer on your behalf.

Please visit our webpage via the link below.
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index
firstyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
I'm wondering where everyone's car was manufactured? Maybe its a localized problem to one or a two manufactures .

J- Japan
1- NUMMI
2- Canada: TMMC
3- Mexico: TMMBC
4- USA:TMMK
5- USA: TMMI, TMMCA & TMMTX

Look at the First character of your VIN number.

Mines J
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Cedrica

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
I got the harness replaced last year at this time after much fighting with the dealer that it indeed needed to be done. So far this year with all the snow, I've had no problems. So, IMHO, it's definitely the harness.

*EDIT: And it would have cost almost $1000 but I got in there under my 100k extended warranty so it was covered.

And you want a recall? Start sending this thread to some reporters to do their homework, I'm sure there is a vulture reporter out there somewhere ready to pounce and further denigrate Toyota's reputation with a bombshell that even the Yaris isn't spared from issues, lol.
Cedrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Mine was manufactured in Japan. I will definitely fill out the Transport Canada thing. I have yet to actually do the clean/seal with my sensors, but there is no way I am spending ANOTHER $500+ to replace a sensor that should have been fixed.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I made sure to mention the TSB which means Toyota KNOWS about the issue and will only fix it for those under warranty.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-S...20C0215%29.pdf

This really is a shame.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I could'nt find an ABS equipped car when I bought mine in '08.
I'm GLAD I don't have it now!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
DJCrazyChris

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I have been told by my dealer that they checked for parts yesterday and there are over 600 waiting on back order. We demanded they provide a rental and we're now into week 3 as the ABS was being used on dry pavement with most braking attempts.

Anyone else waiting a VERY long time for parts.
DJCrazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
600??!!! on back order?!! Toyota needs to address this. Thanks for the link
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-S...20C0215%29.pdf
unbelievable that they know about it and won't do a thing.

In my post, I mentioned that my abs and brake light were on, then they went off again.

This morning when I was braking, something made a noise and I had to push a lot harder than usual to stop. It felt very "spongy". Then my abs and brake light came on again. But, my pads are fine, so I wonder what's going on?? I don't have $1000 to fix a faulty problem that they know about, but I can and will write to Transport Canada. I hope that no one gets hurt because of this problem.

thanks for the links.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote