Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Jungle Rot

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan AT PP Silver
2009 Yaris Sedan vs 2009 Scion XD

I have narrowed my decision to these vehicles. My needs are as follows.

Reliabilty
Gas Mileage
Safety

I plan on owning it for at least 10-13 years. Its for my wife. Just want a daily driver. Will not mod it. We test drove both vehicles (MT) and the Yaris clutch felt funny when it was completely depressed. I dont know if that was normal or just that test vehicle. Also liked the look of the Scion over the Yaris. Both are Toyotas and should last a long time. The Yaris sedan has more of a traditional look which I also like.

Was anybody in the same situation? What made you choose the Yaris?

Thanks for your time.
Jungle Rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
Both are good values.The XD comes with more standard features but costs more. A Yaris can be had for less but when similar options are added, the prices even out. In my area, Toyota sale prices are negotiable and Scion's are not. Do you want a more trendy car like the XD? Trendy things can seem "out of date" in a few years. Do you want a more mainstream looking car like the Yaris sedan? How important is a hatch vs. a trunk? Center gauges vs. gauges behind the steering wheel? When buying, I compared a Yaris LB to an XD. I thought the Yaris had a better overall design. I like the interior much better, too. Either car would be a good choice but I would recommend the Yaris sedan if you're really going to keep it for 10+ years. While the XD will surely last 10+ years, I'm not so sure that design will look at good as time goes by. Some people don't even think it looks good now.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
If you can wait another year it could be worth your while if you're looking to keep the car that long. The new iQ will be out by then and most believe the 2010 Yaris due out the end of this year will come with their new 1.33 litre power plant which is more fuel efficient. Maybe even stop and start technology.

People can always argue to wait based on getting what is new, but there are major changes coming down the pipeline this year and those are only 2 examples which could greatly reduce your total cost of ownership in significant fuel savings over 10-13 years. I won't even dare mention the Honda Insight II on this board.

If you have to buy now I'd go with the Yaris as well, for personal preference reasons and also because when you keep something for a long time having the more popular product can come in handy when replacement parts and maintenance are in order.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
Both are good values.The XD comes with more standard features but costs more. A Yaris can be had for less but when similar options are added, the prices even out. In my area, Toyota sale prices are negotiable and Scion's are not. Do you want a more trendy car like the XD? Trendy things can seem "out of date" in a few years. Do you want a more mainstream looking car like the Yaris sedan? How important is a hatch vs. a trunk? Center gauges vs. gauges behind the steering wheel? When buying, I compared a Yaris LB to an XD. I thought the Yaris had a better overall design. I like the interior much better, too. Either car would be a good choice but I would recommend the Yaris sedan if you're really going to keep it for 10+ years. While the XD will surely last 10+ years, I'm not so sure that design will look at good as time goes by. Some people don't even think it looks good now.
I repeat what he said.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
My wife has the Scion XB while I have the Yaris 3dr LB. I needed the absolute best economy for my commute so I chose the Yaris. I find the seats in the Scion slightly more comfortable for long trips, but I can get 5-8 Mpg better out of the Yaris.

Reliability and safety will be equal in my opinion. The trade then becomes comfort (Scion) versus Mpg (Yaris). Then consider how well you can deal on the sale. If you are good, you might get a slightly better value in the Yaris. If not, you can walk in, sign and drive away with the Scion in just an hour or two.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Jungle Rot

I test drove another Yaris Sedan. The clutch felt fine, so no issues. I want a MT with power package. My local dealers only offer the PP with AT. I dont want to have one built. The sticker for a Sedan Base AT w/PP is 16,000. Minus 1000 rebate would be 15,000. They have a Scion XD listed at $15,580. So the price difference is minimal.

I never thought about replacement parts. Would the XD be harder than the Yaris when look ing for parts?

Tough decision I have to make before the 1000 Toyota rebate ends on 2-2-09.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Jungle Rot

I forgot one thing. They advised that a second key would cost like $300 or $400 for some chip. Damn that sucks. Do all new cars do this? You have to have at least 1 extra key for that time you lock it inside or lose it.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
I didn't pay anything extra for my second key, to my knowledge. My last car was the same way - I didn't have to pay anything for the extra one - and my husband's car as well. Sounds like a ripoff to me!

Edit: You can get a plain old key without the chip/keyless entry options for a little of nothing. That's my third key - the one I have for emergencies. I didn't pay anything for that one either.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
J.R. , you should be able to get an additional dealer discount of $750 > 1,000 off the M.S.R.P. along with the TOYO $1,000 rebate . Don't forget to get best interest rate on the loan too .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Judging from your initial post, it looks like the Scion xD is the the right car for you. :)
I chose the Yaris because it was cheap on gas and it was a Toyota.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
gid

have read posts by XD owners that achieve 35 m.p.g. or better . Why not , it's basically a COROLLA 4 door hatchback . Can get Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control for additional $250 on a XD . Should of made that an option for the '09 , otherwise we'd trade in the '08 YARIS for an '09 YARIS with V.S.C. and traction control for her .

Last edited by gid; 01-24-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Judging from your initial post, it looks like the Scion xD is the the right car for you. :)
I chose the Yaris because it was cheap on gas and it was a Toyota.

There both Toyota's.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
If you car has keyless entry, it should come with two primary keys (the ones with the buttons) and one valet key (with no buttons). They're full of bull if they're trying to charge you hundreds for any of these keys. I recommend that you shop around at different Toyota dealers. All are not equal in how they treat their customers.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Jungle Rot

The dealer finally got me inside and crunched the numbers for me.
I was merely trying to find out what my trade was worth.

2009 Yaris Sedan= Automatic, Power Pack, w/Mats 16,000. With 5000 down at 5.85 financing. -1000 rebate.

36 months $341
48 months $266
60 months $221

Scion XD Manual (comes with power everything) $15,580. $5000 down, same finance rate.

36 months $341
48 months $263
60 months $216

By the way, they offered $500 for my trade (97 Cavalier, 135,000miles). I'll keep it.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
gid

you can do better on the sedan .
Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
If you can wait another year it could be worth your while if you're looking to keep the car that long. The new iQ will be out by then and most believe the 2010 Yaris due out the end of this year will come with their new 1.33 litre power plant which is more fuel efficient. Maybe even stop and start technology.
Is the IQ definitely coming to the states? Thought it was still up in the air?

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Jungle Rot

Here's my latest offer based on their sticker price (No Haggling yet).

09 Yaris Sedan M/T with Conv Pack with the 1000 rebate (TX) $13,700. Out the door (TTL) $14,762.

No power windows or locks.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Jungle Rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainless twit View Post
I didn't pay anything extra for my second key, to my knowledge. My last car was the same way - I didn't have to pay anything for the extra one - and my husband's car as well. Sounds like a ripoff to me!.

I see you have the sedan. What is your gas mileage?

Thanks