Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
msagowitz

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Sedan
How do I get parts to fix my car myself?

Someone did damage to my car and is denying responsibility. I am trying to work things out through insurance, but in the meantime, I would like to replace the parts that are damaged. The main damage is to the grill. It is all busted out. How do I buy those parts, do I just have to go to the dealership? Or is there a way I could get them cheaper? It looks like an easy fix, so I would like to do the labor myself.
msagowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
it would prob be easier through your insurance company to make the other guy that hit u pay for it.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
msagowitz

It was actually a sheet of ice that came off of his car and hit mine. I think it was very negligent, but no one else seems to see it that way. Even my insurance company.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Well, i dunno how should you call it but we call them "rastro" here, is a place where crashed cars, whitout fix, are purchased to be sold by separate parts
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Kitt, problem is, the Yaris is very new in the US, there's probably only a very very very low chance of finding even one in a junkyard.

I guess you could find a few of those places in the yellow pages, and ask them on the off chance they do have a dead Yaris...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
UR just right, i didn't thought about it and now that you mention it, even here it is hard to get a part, i lost the brake fluid reservoir cap a few months ago and i had no luck finding one for a Yaris, i had to put one from an old Tercel and it worked...
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is a place in Canton called Keiffer Auto. They source parts from junkyars. Give them a call, its worth a shot.

Otherwise, figure out what parts you need replaced, then call your dealership and ask them for the part numbers. Also, get the dealer prices. Then shoot me the numbers and I'll see if I can't get you a little discount.

If all that sounds like too big of a pain in the ass, the dealership should be able to order anything you need.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Why claim it on your insurance..... I am sure the grille cost less than your deductable.... I would just go to the dealer... and Chino you or I can source parts just as easy as Keiffer can.... most of them use www.car-part.com... but the bad thing is our cars are so new there are no Hollander #'s (Part # Junk Yards use) for the parts... I used to run a yard here in Toledo, so I know all those tricks
Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeah, forgot to mention car-part.com... good one too!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
msagowitz

Well the painted grille is only gonna be about 125 from the dealership, so I can live with that. I will also need the bumper replaced, but it's only a small crack, so that can wait.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
newer cars here 'vanish' when theyre wrecked. no idea where they go, try to get parts in a wrecker here for anything newer than 10yrs old... good luck.
I cant even find parts for a 30yr old ford...

even im going to try that car-part.com
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
newer cars here 'vanish' when theyre wrecked. no idea where they go, try to get parts in a wrecker here for anything newer than 10yrs old... good luck.
I cant even find parts for a 30yr old ford...

even im going to try that car-part.com
wrecked cars are sold at auction so the insurance companies can recoupe some of the cost paid out on the claim. There are many dealers out there that buy these wrecked cars and rebuild then sell them for a good profit. I used to do that for a few years...