Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Unwanted noise from bluetooth receiver

Let me start with some background:
I have an 07 Hatchback, with factory radio including 3.5mm input.
I have a SoundGate PDCBLPAK hard-wired, which let me connect iPods using the dock connector for both power and audio. It's worked perfectly for 4 years, but now I have an iPhone 5 with lightning connector.

So I bought a Bluetooth A2DP receiver, the kind which gets power from a dock connector. Plug it into the SoundGate, and there's an awful noise. I think it sounds like a ground issue, but there is no problem when I plug an iPod in directly to the SoundGate. What could be causing this? The noise is partially drowned out when music is playing, but it still sucks.

I've tried grounding the SoundGate to two places: first a chassis bolt, then spliced
to ground wire directly behind the radio. Same problem both ways.

This is what it sounds like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...is%20noise.m4a
This noise was recorded with the engine off. With the engine running, there is another faint sound in addition, which corresponds to the RPMs.

Connection details on the SoundGate:
+12v spliced behind radio to ACC wire
GND spliced behind radio
audio line out spliced into the factory 3.5mm jack

I have now tried two different brands of Bluetooth receiver, with the same results.
Wireless Bluetooth Music Receiver
Mpow Bluetooth A2DP Receiver

I've tried pairing an iPhone and also a laptop, but it makes no difference.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Can your A2DP run off its own battery? I bought a cheapo one that has its own rechargeable battery and it works fine with my iPhone 5. I have not tried charging it while using it, but I suspect that if I did I would have the same issue.

One thing you can try is using a better quality power supply for it if it can't run of a battery.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I chose this [these] BT adapters specifically because they were powered from the dock connector, to simplify wiring since I already had the SoundGate. I suppose I could look for a different one, but I hope to figure this out.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookybathtub View Post
I chose this [these] BT adapters specifically because they were powered from the dock connector, to simplify wiring since I already had the SoundGate. I suppose I could look for a different one, but I hope to figure this out.
You could try a better quality power adapter as most of the inexpensive ones have no electrical noise filtering.