Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #37
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Like I said... Due to the weight reduction and underdriving, the torque curve will show similar gains at all RPM

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #38
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
What was the stock WHP of this car? Is this on stock tune? How was MPG effected?
4MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #39
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Like I said... Due to the weight reduction and underdriving, the torque curve will show similar gains at all RPM
lol, you're no fun. i just was wondering if richard could conger up a dyno showing it...i realize itd pretty much do to the tq curve what it did to the hp curve....3hp everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MPG View Post
What was the stock WHP of this car? Is this on stock tune? How was MPG effected?
check of of richards other threads to find the answers...

but he's running intake, xD throttle body, a new prototype intake manifold, long tube header, and custom exhaust to get the 120 and 123 with the underdrive pulley (and yes, nst, the water and alternator pulleys too)

id imagine mileage with JUST the underdrive pulley (and/or other pulleys) would increase (which is to say: it would use less gas) as long as other items remain the same (including how you drive)
Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #40
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
He has a 2002 Corolla TS. You don't have that car in the States. Is basically a corolla hatchback with a 1.8L 2ZZ-GE (japan version of the engine on the celica GTS) with 193 hp at the crank, 6 speed and a red line at 8250rpm
We have the XRS tho.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #41
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Can't wait to hear from your track experience! I know this engine has a lot of potential... it sure is a little sleeper...

Tonight I went to our local "test facility" for a couple of runs with a friend that has been asking for some comparison testing with my car.

He has a 2002 Corolla TS. You don't have that car in the States. Is basically a corolla hatchback with a 1.8L 2ZZ-GE (japan version of the engine on the celica GTS) with 193 hp at the crank, 6 speed and a red line at 8250rpm

Long story short. Two passes. Yaris won by 2 cars in both passes...
By the time the corolla hit the lift @ 6700rpm the Yaris was gone

Next week I have an appointment with an Integra GSR We will see how the Yaris represents then...
were you running the quarter mile? where did you let off? did either of you launch your cars?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #42
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
were you running the quarter mile? where did you let off? did either of you launch your cars?
Yeap 1/4 mile.

Both times we leave from a stop. So theres a weight advantage there for the Yaris.

Another day we did another try out rolling. Leaving at around 40mph and the Corolla got me there. 1.5 cars ahead of me.

The corolla TS only mod was an K&N Intake. I had a Fujita Intake + cat back

I haven't been to a dyno but I estimate my power to be around 120 whp. Oh my Yaris is heavier than the US spec Yaris. It's 2450lbs. I was running with out back seats so let's say 100lbs less
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #43
Rafterman

Drives: Yaris II TS 133 hp
hmmm...can you show me the torque results ?
Rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #44
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
hmmm...can you show me the torque results ?
Hey are you going to jump in on the NST Group buy or what? There is only 1 more day and we need 3 more people!

I bet the gains on the 1.8L Yaris are going to be larger than the ones showed here for the 1.5L since our pulley is heavier and larger.
If we don't make this Group buy happen now... who knows when NST will end up making these...!

This is like the best bang for the buck!! only$99 initial group buy price!!!

Woudn't you like to kick some Corolla TS asses?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #45
Rafterman

Drives: Yaris II TS 133 hp
i will buy the pulley in january...then it costs 119 dollar but...wayne
Rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #46
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Here is the graph again with torque added. Since HP & TQ are mathematically related, any time there is a change in HP there has to be a coresponding change in torque. Below 5252 rpm, a change in hp will result in a greater change in tq (the lower the rpm-the greater the difference). Above 5252 rpm, a change in hp with result in a smaller change in Tq. BTW-A dyno vs rpm will show gains offered by u-pulleys-here is a perfect example. Also, gains from u-pulleys typically increase with engine speed. Hope this helps.

Quote:
lol, you're no fun. i just was wondering if richard could conger up a dyno showing it...i realize itd pretty much do to the tq curve what it did to the hp curve....3hp everywhere

check of of richards other threads to find the answers...

but he's running intake, xD throttle body, a new prototype intake manifold, long tube header, and custom exhaust to get the 120 and 123 with the underdrive pulley (and yes, nst, the water and alternator pulleys too)

id imagine mileage with JUST the underdrive pulley (and/or other pulleys) would increase (which is to say: it would use less gas) as long as other items remain the same (including how you drive)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u-pulley.jpg (99.3 KB, 365 views)
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #47
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Nice!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #48
thebarber
daily driver

thanks richard...i figured itd look like that since hp = (tq*rpm)5252...but its just nice to see it in real life (i was also hoping the dyno place you went to kept your info and could print off whatever you want)

OH OH OH! i found the dyno of my xrs vs another guys xrs who had the same mods (cai/catback) but i had a fidanza flywheel.....no difference in whp, obviously, but i have a dyno vs time....no whp for light components, but it made a world of difference in how the car wound up...

Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #49
richardholdener

Lucky for me, I have access to all my dyno results since I have my own Dynojet. This allows me to do some serious dyno testing and find answers to all kinds of unimportant (except to me) questions. In our testing, we have yet to see any gains offered by light-weight flywheels on the chassis dyno, but the difference is noticeable behind the wheel. This does not necessarily translate into faster acceleration times or more power, but it does improve engine response (something very evident when mathing revs while performing a downshift on a road-race course).

Quote:
thanks richard...i figured itd look like that since hp = (tq*rpm)5252...but its just nice to see it in real life (i was also hoping the dyno place you went to kept your info and could print off whatever you want)

OH OH OH! i found the dyno of my xrs vs another guys xrs who had the same mods (cai/catback) but i had a fidanza flywheel.....no difference in whp, obviously, but i have a dyno vs time....no whp for light components, but it made a world of difference in how the car wound up...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #50
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MPG View Post
I'll get back to you on MPG. Once I do a bit more driving, I'll do a little write-up of overall driving impressions and MPG.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #51
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
Lucky for me, I have access to all my dyno results since I have my own Dynojet. This allows me to do some serious dyno testing and find answers to all kinds of unimportant (except to me) questions. In our testing, we have yet to see any gains offered by light-weight flywheels on the chassis dyno, but the difference is noticeable behind the wheel. This does not necessarily translate into faster acceleration times or more power, but it does improve engine response (something very evident when mathing revs while performing a downshift on a road-race course).
Is the Xd Throttle the same as the ones in the Corollas(2005-2007)???
I'am really curious cause I found one today (didn't buy it) and if it fits I' am getting it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #52
richardholdener

As indicated in PM-not sure-never seen a Corolla in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR View Post
Is the Xd Throttle the same as the ones in the Corollas(2005-2007)???
I'am really curious cause I found one today (didn't buy it) and if it fits I' am getting it.