Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel

I'm deciding on getting a custom cat back exhaust done at my local exhaust shop. But i'm not sure if its worth getting the piping and so forth in stainless steel.

Stainless Steel costs a fair bit more, whereas the mild steel version would cost me about $350-400 with a tip of my choice. Are there any other benefits of having stainless steel apart from it lasting longer? Performance or Sound wise.

I'm still deciding on whether to get a dual tip or single tip. Dual tip looks pretty nice and different. I don't see many people with dual tip from the muffler though on there forums. So its a hard choice :P I saw in a sticky thread the 1st post had dual tip which looks nice too.

The local shop i might get it done at uses Lukey Mufflers, my friend has it on his Corolla which i had a look at the other day. Never heard of them till recently, i'm not sure what are other peoples opinions on these mufflers.

http://www.lukey.com.au/default.asp?...mplate=CONTENT

Cheers

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Never liked the look of polished stainless steel... too much bling for me. I'd go with mild steel and paint the whole thing black (except the tips) after it's been made up and test fitted. Is the Lukey available with offset inlet and dual outlet?.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Most exhaust shops use alumnized tubing, not mild steel.

I wouldn't wast money on stainless. You can just paint the mild steel or alumnized steel as stated above.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
yea mild steel rusts, so it would need to be coated of some kind or it will rust through quickly. when i've built manifolds i use mild steel and have it ceramic coated, its 8$ for a mild steel u bend and 30 for the same in stainless
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
ruimond

Thanks for the replies guys...i might just get the mild steel. I think the mild steel is coated anyhow.

On the website it says - "Available in two variations - polished Stainless Steel or Aluminum Coated Mild Steel (ACMS)." So yeh it's coated with aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Never liked the look of polished stainless steel... too much bling for me. I'd go with mild steel and paint the whole thing black (except the tips) after it's been made up and test fitted. Is the Lukey available with offset inlet and dual outlet?.
Umm im not sure what you mean by offset intlet. But i think it's just the single inlet and outlet on the muffler i was looking at.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Most exhaust shops use alumnized tubing, not mild steel.

I wouldn't wast money on stainless. You can just paint the mild steel or alumnized steel as stated above.
What kind of paint is needed to do this? Any high heat paint or is there something specifically for exhaust?
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Use a heat shield paint, most automotive parts suppliers will stock it.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Salty water does the trick.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i say do it right once... i've run aluminized steel exhausts and they last about 3 years... you'll be back doing all that work over again in 3 or so, meaning you will have spent the money anyway.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
If you dont want the "hassle" of painting/sealing it then go with the stainless, it will be worth it in the end. Myself i enjoyed wrapping my header and exhaust and am also looking forward to coating. To each his own. Mild with a good seal shouldn't give you any problems though, and would still be cheaper

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i say do it right once... i've run aluminized steel exhausts and they last about 3 years... you'll be back doing all that work over again in 3 or so, meaning you will have spent the money anyway.
Sometime there is no options, like the long tube header from richard
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoche View Post
Sometime there is no options, like the long tube header from richard

that sounds like an issue from his end.... why not provide the best, especially for the kind of $$ he's asking for..

have ANY of his projects come into fruition yet? you guys and the xD owners have been waiting for FOREVER for your performance parts ;(
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Oh, he hasn't said yea or nay to offering the exhaust in Stainless. I said up-front I'd pay double, no questions, for stainless. More than that I'd likely still pay since I live in the mid-america rust belt in Kansas City just low enough we have to use road salt heavilly for a couple months out of the year, but not so heavilly or often enough people buy dedicated winter tires. And even then I'd likely wrap and coat the wrapped stainless piece before installing it. Or at least coat it.

I look at wrapping and coating as a way to keep the heat in, less than a way to protect the exhaust from the elements. Only chemistry can truly protect the exhaust from the elements and nasty chemicals, which means stainless for me if it can be afforded.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
ruimond

I'm probably getting my exhaust done on Thursday this week. Pretty exicited. Will take photos when its done. Just gonna get it in mild steel since the exhaust place suggested there's no point going stainless for our conditions and as long as you drive it decent distances it won't really rust that fast and last pretty long.

My friend was telling me not to get it...he reckons the exhaust on the yaris is "Try Hard", but said my Short ram intake AFE was cool enough as it is and said i won't get any performance from the exhaust at all. But i'm probably still gonna go ahead anyway.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Another property that stainless has is its hardness: by being more rigid, it holds exhaust resonance better than MS, therefore increasing the tuning ability of the system.

If you tend to drag the bottom of your car over things (rocks, curbs, pedestrians), the stainless is less likely to be damaged, but repairing any dents could be a problem.

Doing the system once and once only does have its attractions...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
400 bucks for an exhaust on a Yaris - He he! funny!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
ruimond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
400 bucks for an exhaust on a Yaris - He he! funny!
Yeh all the custom places are around that much here in Australia. Or the ones i've been to anyway. :(

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
steeldetail1
I've made a post!

Drives: It is good.
Steel Detailing

Hi,
Structural steel detailing is an essential part of any construction project. Be it a large commercial construction, residential housing, infrastructure development, steel detailing is important for the proper construction. Yo can get more information from http://www.acecadsoftware.com/steel_detailing.
steeldetail1 is offline   Reply With Quote