Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
10 ported or 12 sealed

So pretty much a 10 ported or 12 sealed?

Before talking about brands and power

10 ported would be tighter and louder than a 12 sealed right (even tho it looses some accuracy being ported)? Right now two 10s are very appealing than a single 12, which i know will not be as loud, (still not talking brand or power)

Im still pretty new to brands, i just know the basic ideas of which enclosures and sizes.

A friend is selling an older 12w6 sealed with a MTX thunder 302 amp for $200, iono...

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
given the same type of sub... they should be roughly the same in volume. The ported will hit a little louder down low, but should take up a bit more space in the car.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how much space you want to give up.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i like sealed 10"

its all around good sounding. the 12 will move more air and be heard farther from the car probably. my 10" is perfect. if you listen to rap its loud and low and the metal that i listen to is nice and punchy. i'm not a fan of ported or bandpass. sometimes you hear the air passing through the ports too .. which i dont like. you can go smaller with sealed too :)
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
search craigslist

i got a 10w3 for $40 bux and built my box for $30ish and then got a cheap amp for $30

if your not in a rush you can build a nice system for cheap :)
Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
i like sealed 10"

its all around good sounding. the 12 will move more air and be heard farther from the car probably. my 10" is perfect. if you listen to rap its loud and low and the metal that i listen to is nice and punchy. i'm not a fan of ported or bandpass. sometimes you hear the air passing through the ports too .. which i dont like. you can go smaller with sealed too :)
port noise is easy to avoid if designing your own box. There is a way to calculate how fast the air will move through the port, if it's higher than 17meters/second then you MIGHT have noise... But if you use an aeroport... you can get away with speeds as high as 25-30 m/s.