Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #55
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
if i were to do it again, i'd trade engine management for a good solid water/meth injection setup. (on low boost)
Yeah after reading more on here (special thanks to Morgan for actually doing it), I probably would too. May still get around to it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #56
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
It's a Garrett. Comes off a Saab 9-3 and are pretty easy to come by.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #57
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Yeah after reading more on here (special thanks to Morgan for actually doing it), I probably would too. May still get around to it.
worth every single penny! good for cooling and reduces knock, what could be better? HIGHLY recommended, especially if you don't end up using a piggy back or some type of other engine management!

(yes, you could probably tune it out if you can advance your timing, but I can't so instead I use it as a safety feature not for performance)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #58
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
we can slap in a small turbo and run it without major problems with the 1NZFE?
No one said that. There is a risk involved with any major engine modification, including this. What I said is that at least two of us have run turbos and not blown our motors. That is all the data there is -- so choose CAREFULLY before you jump in.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #59
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Can someone make a list of PSI vs Gain or am i talking through my butt?
yeah, through your butt

Just kidding

Is not that simple. It depends on the turbo you use and your set up. So there is no way to say x amount of HP per psi.

You could said though that for any given set up the car puts out xamount of HP for psi. That would be true within a psi range.

IE:

If Garm's old set up made 180hp at 8psi and lets say the base power was 100hp, then you can said his turbo made 10hp per psi. You can also assume that the same set up at 10psi would put out 200hp.

As the PSI goes up and you start going out of the effeciency area or the turbo, the numbers will change (decrease)...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #60
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
One of the advantages of standalone management is that you can switch between multiple MAPS...

So you can have th everyday map for regular gas, then a Meth map and finally the all out race gas map.

The Meth map comes pretty handy when you want to have some fun and don't have some VP handy... or if you don't want to pay the race gas price.

240-250whp for every day driving on regular gas
260-270whp on meth
300+whp on race gas
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #61
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
and the fact that it makes some of the best hp/lb of ANY engine in any car in the world.
*thud*

Now I've heard it all.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the next person that uses the term "slap on" in the same sentence as "turbo" needs a permaban.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #63
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
spectacle needs a permaban..........we already have enough bs on the forum as is.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #64
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
but now seriously is the 1NZFE able to take a turbo without modifications without destroying it?
No one can answer that question with any certainty. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say that. I can only point at the real world data we have, me and Tamago who ran turbos on the 1.5L motor with no damage. Loss in longevity? Again, can't answer that either.

Maybe in 3-5 years, when a lot more people have tried and either succeeded or failed, the question can be answered with some data to back it up.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #65
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
*thud*

Now I've heard it all.
Has anyone ever told you that you know nothing about cars? or is that a first too!

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #66
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Its a first.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #67
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
Its a first.
now like a 2nd or 3rd...
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #68
Tamago

bench racing = real-life, knuckle-skinning experience, didn't y'all know? that's why we can "slap on" turbos and coilovers....
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #69
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #70
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
lol @ the bashing on spectacle.
you feel left out?
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #71
CDavis7M

Drives: 1990 Supra Turbo
I don't have any experience with a Yaris, let alone a turbo one. But, I do have a turbo supra.

Here are some of the basics that I know about Turbo cars. Please let me know if I am wrong though.
-A car with a Turbo stock will have an ECU that is set to retard timing at higher rpm / higher boost.
-Turbo cars have much lower engine compression and are better able to handle boost.
-NA cars try to achieve a Air/Fuel Ratio of about 14.7, probably richer than that at about 13-14 or less when at full throttle.
-A Turbo cars ECU is set to run at 11-12 AFR at full throttle. Running richer allows the gas to cool the piston and reduces the risk of detonation.
-Turbo cars usually have some or all of the rotating assembly forged.

So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.
CDavis7M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #72
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavis7M View Post

So, basically, running a turbo without any modifications on an economy engine, you will detonate with AFRs around 14, even at 7psi. I hope someone before me set you guys straight but this thread looks like Honda Tech. It's just horrible.
guessing you missed the part where we suggested bigger injectors to help with the "stock" AFR's ?

when the car goes into open loop mode, larger injectors will provide more than enough fuel to keep boost mode cool
you nailed it sir.