Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Megan front strut bars Question???

Im trying to install Megan coilovers on my 07 lift back and the new front strut bar linkages seem like there a hair too short... I can't get them to connect to the main strut bar witih out like jackin it up to meet, witch I DONT want to do if its gunna bend something.... GGGrrrrr... stupid strut bars...

would it kill me if I left them detached???

So many Questions... so little time...

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Its hard to see from the first image but I'd say its about an inch too short...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_017[1].jpg (35.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_020[1].jpg (32.4 KB, 122 views)

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I kinda remember struggling with this too. It's seems like I had to put the car back on the ground, so the weight could compress the springs. I'm thinking that made it easier to connect the bar on the strut to the end link on the front sway.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

^^^

Cool, thats what I was hopeing

For a second there I thought I had the wrong Struts or something

Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Well in theory I guess you should to be able to twist + lift the sway bar endlink up to meet the new bar attached to the new strut. I just remember my front sway rattling pretty bad after install but it was easy to reach and tighten that bolt when the car's the ground.

Oh yeah if I'm remembering right on that new bar...you have to put a hex key/allen wrench in the tip? to hold it steady while you tighten, otherwise it just spins with the bolt

Last edited by kurokoma-kun; 09-20-2009 at 08:22 PM.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
YaYa1320
YaYa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have same setup, jack 'em up and assemble one side at a time, thats what I did, and everything works fine... Is everything else good??? I had other probs, but this wasn't one of 'em...
YaYa1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
YaYa1320
YaYa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Jack up the lower control arm one side at a time, and assemble when everything lines up!!!
YaYa1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

I feel like a moron... Ive been calling them "strut" bar linkages but mean "sway" bar linkages... worst part is I just realized I did it.

Please everyone take a moment to point and laugh

...well on a different note, I got them to connect up just fine after I lowered the car back down.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeBody View Post
I feel like a moron... Ive been calling them "strut" bar linkages but mean "sway" bar linkages... worst part is I just realized I did it.
It was just a brain fart, we all knew what you meant! So are you done??
Old 09-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Im done with my part. I still think the fronts need to come down another 1/4inch or so to be even with the rears, but I figured I give the springs a chance to settle before I bother with the height again.

Other than that, I still need to correct the camber and get a 4wheel alignment but Im taking it into a shop for all that. Ive been thinking of getting it corner balanced too if its not to expensive.

Ive already got the camber bolts for the front, but Im still waiting on garm to send me the shims for the rear. They are supposed to be coming in with the rear swaybar.

It already handles WAY better than it did before, I cant wait until its all done.