Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #19
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Well, since you would be handing your Yaris over to a shop to install it anyway, you could converse with them what you would need to build a low boost turbo kit. Also talk to Garm (caliyaris) and Tamago about what you would need to build your own turbo kit. They've posted that information a couple of times, and they would help you decide what you would need. Seriously, if you were to piece together your own setup, you WOULD be saving quite a bit of money. Later today after work I'm going to be uploading a couple of pages from Super Street magazine that goes really in depth about how a turbo setup works, and various types of turbines and what setup they work best with, so look for that.
Really, there's lots and lots of resources aimed at helping people in your position decide what to do. These resources are also well-geared towards helping people NOT waste money on things they won't necessarily need. Think of all the things you could do with that extra money: lowering springs & shocks or coilovers, brake upgrades, other suspension upgrades, etc. There's a lot to be had in all of these departments (especially turbo setups) for very little money. Just something to think about.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
if your goal is low end power a supercharger is the way to go.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #21
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
if your goal is low end power a supercharger is the way to go.
According to Blitz's web site it's supercharger kit is not street legal. And the Greddy turbo kit for the Scion xB Turbo kit is also not street legal. So my search must look beyond these two choices.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-17-2009 at 11:40 PM.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
NO aftermarket BOOSTED system will be street legal. So we can just end the thread right here. Whew.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #23
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

in california maybe... here in TN its legal as long as you dont have a check engine light and can pass emissions (all they do is plug up and read obd codes...if no codes...pass) or like what i did on my last car i registered it at my aunts house in a county where they dont have emissions. :)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ no visual inspection? Lucky you.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #25
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well they check for 1 cat under the car. which can be gutted..they wont know the difference.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
LMAO. Man, us Cali folks have it bad. I know in Florida, they don't give a care about smog, well, at least from what my friend who lives there tells me.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #27
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
TX has the third highest smog and exhaust emissions testing. (I know because I'm a licensed state inspector) we do the OBD on 96 and newer cars and a dyno and sniffer on anything older than that. On top of that we also do visual inspections. If you buy a car brand new you don't have to get it checked for 2 years then it's every year after that.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yaris (and the Scions) is 5 years here in CA.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #29
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
***piece together your own turbo kit***
I'm serious - talk to whatever shop you might use and talk to them about it.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #30
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
***piece together your own turbo kit***
I'm serious - talk to whatever shop you might use and talk to them about it.
I sent a email to a PA authorized Garrett turbo dealer asking advise about which Garrett turbo would be street legal in a Yaris. Waiting to hear back. I have seen some turbo kits with replacement catalytic converters to make the kit more environmentally friendly.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

How would someone in PA know what is "street legal" in your state?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #32
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Run 110 octane and no cats!! It smells amazing!!! Also NO BOOST (that is not stock or over stock preset) IS TECHNICALLY STREET LEGAL!!! Most any mod that adds performance is technically "for off-road use only" but no one is getting tickects from cops for having CAI's or mufflers
Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #33
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
ellenbetty, you're barking up the wrong tree..

buy the HKS kit for the XB. it's gonna fit better than ANY other kit out there because the piping does not include a bulky and overall useless front mount intercooler.

window tint isn't street legal in some states... imagine what a turbo setup means..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #34
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
How would someone in PA know what is "street legal" in your state?
Interesting question. A Internet search turned up Squires Turbo Systems which produces a Universal Turbo System. Full Throttle Kustomz in Garrettsville Ohio is a authorized dealer of Squires Turbo Systems. Garrettsville is 43 minutes drive from my home. So I sent a email to Full Throttle Kustomz asking the same question.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #35
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
Interesting question. A Internet search turned up Squires Turbo Systems which produces a Universal Turbo System. Full Throttle Kustomz in Garrettsville Ohio is a authorized dealer of Squires Turbo Systems. Garrettsville is 43 minutes drive from my home. So I sent a email to Full Throttle Kustomz asking the same question.
STS lol the worst design for a small displacement engine EVER
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Run 110 octane and no cats!! It smells amazing!!! Also NO BOOST (that is not stock or over stock preset) IS TECHNICALLY STREET LEGAL!!! Most any mod that adds performance is technically "for off-road use only" but no one is getting tickects from cops for having CAI's or mufflers
I think that people who remove the catalytic converter from their vehicle should get a year in super-max and be forced to watch their vehicle being crushed for scrap metal.