Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
fantoma33

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Question A/C causing hum with satellite radio -- solution?

Hello. I'm new to this forum and just bought a 2007 Yaris Liftback on Saturday. So far I love it, but I'm having a problem with my satellite radio.

I installed a Sirius Stratus receiver yesterday. I'm using the audio out jack on the sirius receiver and plugging into the aux input on the factory system.

When I turn on the A/C there is a very noticeable "hum" in the background -- this only happens when the A/C is on AND i'm using the AUX input. It does NOT happen when only using the blower and AUX input, or when using the A/C and fm transmitter.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to eliminate this annoying hum? I searched the internet and my best guess is that this could be a ground loop problem, however I'm not sure this is the actual problem since the hum does not seem to vary with RPMs.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was your solution?

Thanks for any ideas you may have. I'm not familiar with car stereo installation and am not really sure what else to try.

[edit -- hum might not be the right word to desribe the sound -- I just listened to it again an it's almost like a buzzer sound]

Last edited by fantoma33; 06-18-2007 at 02:08 PM.
fantoma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
Try a cable that has more shielding or a ferrite core efi filter on your current cable. Not sure where you would get the filter. they come in a bag on most plasma tv's
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksman View Post
Try a cable that has more shielding or a ferrite core efi filter on your current cable. Not sure where you would get the filter. they come in a bag on most plasma tv's
Thanks for the suggestion...I was thinking about trying that, but haven't been able to find a spare efi filter yet.

I ordered this today, but am not sure it will help. Today I began to notice a slight whine when listening to talk radio (it's barely noticeable when listening to music stations and it's nowhere near as loud the noise heard when the A/C is on ): http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Nkp13wM...er&i=127SNI135

I'll post my results here in a few days in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
That should do it . I had the same problem with my sat radio but I took it out and upgraded to a screen, nav and sat ready radio. Let us know
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantoma33 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion...I was thinking about trying that, but haven't been able to find a spare efi filter yet.

I ordered this today, but am not sure it will help. Today I began to notice a slight whine when listening to talk radio (it's barely noticeable when listening to music stations and it's nowhere near as loud the noise heard when the A/C is on ): http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Nkp13wM...er&i=127SNI135

I'll post my results here in a few days in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
That is the same thing I use for my XM installation and it works great. The only side effect is slightly lower volume level vs stock.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
stellar

I have the same problem when using my iPod through the AUX. No air = no buzz/beep. Air on = buzz/beep.

Let us know how that device works out.
stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I have the same problem when using my iPod through the AUX. No air = no buzz/beep. Air on = buzz/beep.

I have used it since day one and have no more electrical interference noise!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post

I should be able to report back my results later tonight or tomorrow (assuming UPS leaves it at my apartment when I'm not home today).

Blacksan's posts have made me confident that this will fix the problem.

Stellar - are you also powering your iPod off the cigarette lighter? or are you using batteries?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
fantoma33

The noise filter worked. It's also small enough to fit nicely into the slot next to the parking brake on an '07 liftback.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
blacksan

Quote:
The noise filter worked. It's also small enough to fit nicely into the slot next to the parking brake on an '07 liftback.
+1

I actually put mine under the passenger seat.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
stellar

Quote:
I should be able to report back my results later tonight or tomorrow (assuming UPS leaves it at my apartment when I'm not home today).

Blacksan's posts have made me confident that this will fix the problem.

Stellar - are you also powering your iPod off the cigarette lighter? or are you using batteries?
Yeah, I'm powering it through the cigarette lighter. I meant to try it without the power to see if it made any difference, but I haven't yet.

If that thing works, I'm going to buy one now.

Is the buzzing reduced, or completely eliminated?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
blacksan

My buzz was completely eliminated.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
My buzz was completely eliminated.
+1

Same
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #14
stellar

Well, I also completely eliminated my buzzing, but I did it without outside assistance.

What I noticed was that as the car stereo's volume was increased, the buzzing increased. So all I did was lower my stereo volume, max out my iPod volume, and turn up the stereo volume accordingly. Works like a charm. I get my music, at the volume I want, and no buzzing.

I'm sure if your XM/Sirius receivers had volume controls that you'd be able to do the same thing.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I actually have this issue only when attempting to play audio through a device when it has to use power from the 12v plug...I am hoping to find a different route as I am going to be hardwiring in my power for my Sirius with an inline fuse. I will let you all know how that goes...I didn't want to risk losing any more volume as the factory Sport deck doesn't have much as it is.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
fantoma33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I actually have this issue only when attempting to play audio through a device when it has to use power from the 12v plug...I am hoping to find a different route as I am going to be hardwiring in my power for my Sirius with an inline fuse. I will let you all know how that goes...I didn't want to risk losing any more volume as the factory Sport deck doesn't have much as it is.
I think my problem was related to the 12v plug as well -- I didn't seem to notice a problem when using an Sandisk Sansa or iPod (but I don't have a 12v adapter to fully test this). Even with the A/C off I was still able to notice a slight whine when using the Sirius receiver (I didn't notice this the first day, but it became apparent after listening to talk stations)

I wonder if this would help you:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pbBPCCB...lter&i=003S25A

This is what Sirius tech support recommended to me, but I went with the other filter since I wasn't hard-wiring the power.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Thanks for the looks....that is one idea that I had checked out...someone else told me to actually get something that attaches down by the alt itself?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #18
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
interesting
smokinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote