Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
Umm, is this a rock chip?

It seems like it's impossible to keep a new car looking like a new car! Anyway, is this a rock chip, because the damage looks as if my car was made of fudge consistency and someone took a flathead screwdriver and digged in at an angle, so the paint/bumper material has a ripple effect (can a rock do this at 70-80 mph?!) This one's on my passenger side bumper. I always hear crap hitting my car on the freeways.. how annoying.

Is Toyota gonna cover this? I'm reading that their paint sucks.
Attached Images

fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Ιt must be a rock chip!That sucks.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
they probably arent.. and yea, the paint is very soft.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Got the rock chips also! First one appeared a week after i purchased the vehicle, I just got off work and noticed another on the side near the rear wheel well (just above the rock chip tape that is on there). I have never had a car chip like this one, One factor may be that I travel on a busy 5 lane highway to work and I believe that most of the rocks come from the semi trucks and work trucks that have to travel through of crushed stone and mud. Even with all of the accidental chips in my car though, the one thing that pisses me off the most is the dent in the driver door from some inconsiderate P.O.S!!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
So yall think it's a rock chip. The damage just looks wierd for a rock (more like bb gun?). Anyway, IF I was to get this fixed, is it the type of damage where they need to sand and repaint the whole bumper? If I don't fix it (cuz I'm sure many more will come), is this spot going to chip more or spread eventually, or will it just stay the same?
fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Sorry to learn about that. It does appear to be a rock chip to me. Well, at least a chip of some kind. I have some on my Yaris too. Fortunately, all but one are on the plastic bumper. My friend has let me use his Nissan touch up pen to cover up the one on the door. The colors hardly match.
The salesman from whom I have bought the car has told me that a Toyota touch up pen was available for purchase for about $10. I have not bought one yet because I have seen my neighbour using something similar on her Camry. The result was not too good. The patches were very visible. However, I do think that the touch up pen can be used to help prevent rusting.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
The salesman from whom I have bought the car has told me that a Toyota touch up pen was available for purchase for about $10. I have not bought one yet because I have seen my neighbour using something similar on her Camry. The result was not too good. The patches were very visible. However, I do think that the touch up pen can be used to help prevent rusting.

Yeah for me personally I just touch it up to prevent or slow the rust, especially where it snows! But yeah I have little spots over the hood (you have to look hard though as I have black) where I spot painted it cause of damn rocks or whatever putting chips in my hood!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
The touch-up paint from Toyota has a sorta clear coat mixed in,plus they sell clear coat pen seperate.I have about 9 so far,I drive like 95% highway,with alittle over 13K on the car,Im just gonna wait till it gets real bad,and get a good paint job,thi will keep me from worring about it now.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote