Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #127
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
methinks you might end up melting that O2 sensor cable if its not wrapped in something. Other than that, good post! can't wait to see more.
Yeah it is a bit close, but it wasn't much further away from the stock header either. I bought like $50 worth of heat wrap so I guess I'd be silly not to wrap that too
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #128
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Cant wait to hear how it drives.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #129
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Cant wait to hear how it drives.
I can't wait to SEE how it drives.

I'm ready to start the car / crank the engine, but I'm currently doing battle with Zage's pan. This thing sucks. It's barely leaking at the moment from the side of the pan where the two nuts go on, but they don't fit on the Zage pan. Even after doing some drilling to try to get them to thread the stems I've had no luck. Waiting for my silicon + JB Weld to dry and see if I finally have a seal, after having to take it off again earlier.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #130
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

I'm ready to start the car / crank the engine, but I'm currently doing battle with Zage's pan. This thing sucks. It's barely leaking at the moment from the side of the pan where the two nuts go on, but they don't fit on the Zage pan. Even after doing some drilling to try to get them to thread the stems I've had no luck. Waiting for my silicon + JB Weld to dry and see if I finally have a seal, after having to take it off again earlier.
Ouch, so the part about Zage's oil pan being terrible are true. Still even with that it is a darn good deal.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #131
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:

wishing you nothing but the best and no boom. Remember to prime it up
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #132
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Ouch, so the part about Zage's oil pan being terrible are true. Still even with that it is a darn good deal.
Yeah, but this is an entirely different reason. Honestly, this is the only fitment problem that has really been a deal-breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
wishing you nothing but the best and no boom. Remember to prime it up

IF I ever get to that part...
Just poured in some oil and guess what

LEAKS

Here's a quick time line of emotions:
then of course:

I sealed the whole inside edge of the pan this time, so I honestly don't know what to do. I drained the oil again and put some more sealant on the outside edge of the pan. This is exactly how things went last time. I fought a losing battle against leaks... I guess this time I'll be sure I give the silicon plenty of time to atleast tack?

Anyways, I've run out of things to do. Here's all that was left to do today (I can't reach the turbo / manifold with heat wrap while the car is raised).

So... yeah. I was originally going to do the oil feed and return first. I'm glad I didn't, because this whole situation is VERY discouraging.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #133
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
This maybe a stupid question, but was the surface being sealed clean before you put the pan on? Seen a few people try to put new oil pans on with out taking old gasket material off the surface before. Not saying your dumb just posing the question.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #134
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
This maybe a stupid question, but was the surface being sealed clean before you put the pan on? Seen a few people try to put new oil pans on with out taking old gasket material off the surface before. Not saying your dumb just posing the question.
Yeah, it was as clean as it was going to get. The problem ultimately is that because there are 2 nuts that won't fit, the pan isn't clamped properly on the right side of the plan. With that said, the leaks are still only very small. There really should have been a gasket included with the zage pan (or even a factory one). I'm thinking if this sealant fails again, I'll try JB Welding the pan on (which should solve that clamping issue). Worst case, I'll fashion up some sort of gasket.

It's so frustrating to be stuck because of a minor leak that I simply can't plug...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #135
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
What kind of sealant are you using.

Take some pics of the area that is bad and how bad the holes are not lined up, maybe we can think of something to help you out.

I've only used JB Weld once on my car is when the mounting hole on my charge pipe came off -_-
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #136
advocate

Drives: car
giant zip ties on the intercooler is DEFINITELY ftw
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #137
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
giant zip ties on the intercooler is DEFINITELY ftw
Keep an eye on it tho. That friction with the metal frame on top over time, will start to slowly shred it away.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #138
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I don't know your process for mounting the oil pan but here's how they should normaly go on...

1. clean everything with a clean rag and make sure there is no oil were the silicone will seat.

2. lay a bead around the pan about 1/8" thick making sure you go all the way around the bolt holes.

3. when assembling, only snug the bolts enough to start pressing the silicone out the side.

4. let dry.

5. tighten the bolts to spec. (probably around 15-20 ft/lbs. not very tight)

Even if the pan is warped it should still seal with the method.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #139
Focus_Sh1ft

Leak is dealt with.

I'm currently having issues priming the turbo though. Pulling the EFI fuse and spark plus didn't cut it.

I'm also worried to continued because at this point I most likely am flooding the engine with fuel, even after pulling the injector plugs.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #140
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Start the freakin car! I did not & have never primed a turbo. Once you start the car oil will go to the turbo immediately....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #141
Focus_Sh1ft

Car started AND............

You guys gotta hear this thing! I'll take a video later. I currently have a small leak coming from the banjo bolt, and atleast one of my coolant lines is leaking.

My only concern was that the manifold / turbo / downpipe began smoking, but I think that may be the iron oxide burning. Definitely would like to hear some feedback regarding that.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #142
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Car started AND............

You guys gotta hear this thing! I'll take a video later. I currently have a small leak coming from the banjo bolt, and atleast one of my coolant lines is leaking.

My only concern was that the manifold / turbo / downpipe began smoking, but I think that may be the iron oxide burning. Definitely would like to hear some feedback regarding that.

If you used Silicone Heat resistant coat and wrapping on exhaust these are surely the ones making that smoke. This smoke will last till 15minutes and would normally happen only at the first heatup after installation so be cool
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #143
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
If you used Silicone Heat resistant coat and wrapping on exhaust these are surely the ones making that smoke. This smoke will last till 15minutes and would normally happen only at the first heatup after installation so be cool
Thanks man, that makes me feel sooo much better.

Just to clarify, a turbo timer shouldn't be necessary since I have the turbo water cooled, correct?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #144
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Quote:
Thanks man, that makes me feel sooo much better.

Just to clarify, a turbo timer shouldn't be necessary since I have the turbo water cooled, correct?
No a timer is not necessary if its water cooled. I would still let it idle about minute/ minute and a half before cutting it off. But thats just me, I'd rather be safe then sorry.