Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #181
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
Quote:
ok I've got a spot where I want to mount it on the steering colum(ala rihdrkc) so I can still use the storage box and steer without issues, plus it'll look awsome IMO. Right now I have it sittin in the cupholder, nice place but not exactly practical :( The velcro type stuff did'nt exactly work out, and I REALLY don't want to use the screws it came with, any ideas? Gauge pod would just look stupid/ricey and a guy at advanced auto parts sadi something about a HUGE hose clamp again not exactly a good way IMO. Would a peice of velcro acrossed the base be good enough? I want ot be able(if I get rid of the car) to make it look like there was nothing there

Go to Target and buy yourself some heavy duty hook and loop material. Made by 3M. Looks like velcro that came with gauge, but much more durable. It comes in black or clear. I have used it to secure things on my bike(a vibrating Harley) and it has never failed me. Will be switching to it on the Ecometer when I get a chance. The stock stuff is a little flimsy, but working so far.
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #182
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
ok I mite look into wal-mart or meijer(target too far away). thanx man!!

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #183
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
Hardware store might have it also.
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #184
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I really want to get this product. How accurate is this?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #185
Qmobile

from what I've seen pretty darn

Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #186
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Mine has always been within .2-.7 mpg. Today after fillup it was within .3 mpg of the "pump method" calculation.

Plenty accurate, user friendly and fun little tool to save fuel! If something happened to mine I'd have another by the end of the week!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #187
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Can anyone who has one of these tell me if, when viewing it in the "rpm" mode, if the "analog" style meter shows the rpm's as well, or if it is only the mpg's it will do that with (saw the you tube vid of someone from mpg-o-matic doing a test drive of a charger/challenger, can't remember which). I'm really looking at one of these so I can have a tach but also the mpg readout. I like the old school analog tachs better than the digital ones.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #188
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I agree with you DevilGirl.
It would be nice if you could set the outer LED ring to act like an analog tach while
having the digital readout show mpg.
I gathered, from that same video you saw, that it wouldn't work like we
wanted it to.

Maybe CTScott could mod it?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #189
DevilGirl

That would be a nice mod for it.

But I was referring to when you are viewing it showing rpm's (like it says you can on the website, even though all the pics only show mpg's), if it is only the digital readout or if it is also the LED ring. If it's both while in that "mode", I'd get it. I can always press a button and find out the mpg's. I'm more concerned with the rpm's right now until I get more used to driving stick every day (this is my first stick shift car). Though I must say, I am getting better. Only two days of my commute put on the car, and stalled once yesterday mornin, once yesterday afternoon, and not at all this morning.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #190
Qmobile

yeah in RPM mode it shows you by light/numbers what your doing also I've found that in speedo mode/mph it's a lil SLOWER than the stock speedo is'nt that nutty?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #191
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I'd bank that the Ecometer is more accurate than the speedometer. When viewing the speedometer, you should actually add 2 or so MPH, because we are looking at it from an angle since it is in the middle. If you were to look at it straight on fromt he center of the vehicle, it would be accurate. For example, from the drivers seat when I think I am doing 30MPH and the needle is dead on it, if I lean over to the middle and look, I'm actually doing about 28MPH.

However, at "10MPH" on the speedometer, the Ecometer reads about 14MPH. I trust the Ecometer better. Above 20MPH, they seem to be the same. (at my work the speed limit is 15MPH and they are really anal about it)
Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #192
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I use my Tom Tom for a speedometer.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #193
DevilGirl

Yet another question in the search for a tach for my 09... I like the idea that the Scan Gauge gives you a lot more output for the car (mostly standard stuff that I'm used to seeing on a gauge cluster), but I'm concerned about the size of the readout. 5" wide by only 1 1/2" tall? That seems small to me. Is there possibly a similar model that has a larger readout?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #194
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I thought the same thing, especially with having 4 gauges displayed at the same time. It is easy to read at a glance and I have not had troubles looking at one gauge and reading it.

The problem is it only updates every… 2 seconds I believe, in fast mode so you are not getting all the readings. Best bet for a functional tachometer is to buy a dial one. The SG suffices to check the rpm’s while crusing.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #195
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Woodchuck View Post
I thought the same thing, especially with having 4 gauges displayed at the same time. It is easy to read at a glance and I have not had troubles looking at one gauge and reading it.

The problem is it only updates every… 2 seconds I believe, in fast mode so you are not getting all the readings. Best bet for a functional tachometer is to buy a dial one. The SG suffices to check the rpm’s while crusing.
A dial tach would be a better bet for me, but then I'd have to drill holes. Not something I want to do at the moment. Plus I like the option of having the other information (MPG usage and all others available)... I'm at such a loss for what I want. I don't want to spend the money on something I won't like after a short period of time. And I doubt I can find a dial tach that won't require making extra holes...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #196
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
DevilGirl,

I'd recommend the Ecometer if you want an easy to install tach-it's easy to see, easy to install, non permanent and fairly inexpensive. I think it works very well. The major reason I bought mine was for the tach but I'm so hooked on the instantaneous mpg that's all I usually use! You still can see the ecograph with the tach though. If it's not to your liking I bet you can find someone to buy it!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #197
gammaray

Drives: 09 3D Liftback
I still find this gauge very amusing, and so does everyone that gets in the vehicle with me. Unless it fails to work at all anytime soon...its the best purchase Ive made in a very long time. Well, besides the Yaris that is.
gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #198
Qmobile

me 2 when I was on my way home from Jegs I was like chewing people out b/c I was get 50mpg AND still going th speed limit........that was a fun drive kinda long but fun