Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
Walter

Drives: Polar White LB
WTT + cash= transmission in SoCal

Some of you may have bought a manual and now wish you had a automatic... or if youre going to trade the car in or sell it, and want more value (automatics are worth more $).

I have an automatic LB and Im looking to trade transmissions with someone with a manual (all included, ECU, gearbox, pedals, cluster w/tach, etc). Ill take care of the labor costs.

Let me know if youre interested.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
Some of you may have bought a manual and now wish you had a automatic... or if youre going to trade the car in or sell it, and want more value (automatics are worth more $).

I have an automatic LB and Im looking to trade transmissions with someone with a manual (all included, ECU, gearbox, pedals, cluster w/tach, etc). Ill take care of the labor costs.

Let me know if youre interested.

Thanks
The manual transaxle is the C50 and has been around for some time. I would start searching for one at the local wrecking yard. Hell, while your at it you could do a rebuild with different ratio depending on your type of driving. For instance if I did not need to tackle step grades possibly a 5th gear overdrive that drooped my RPM's down considerably at highway cruising speeds?

It looks like the C52 might also bolt up, but am not positive. That is a stronger trany then the C50 and might offer better ratios?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
The manual transaxle is the C50 and has been around for some time. I would start searching for one at the local wrecking yard. Hell, while your at it you could do a rebuild with different ratio depending on your type of driving. For instance if I did not need to tackle step grades possibly a 5th gear overdrive that drooped my RPM's down considerably at highway cruising speeds?

It looks like the C52 might also bolt up, but am not positive. That is a stronger trany then the C50 and might offer better ratios?
Hmmm, thanks... what cars did te C50 come in?

Even if I find a tranny, I believe that the biggest issue is going to be finding a ECU that will work...
Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
blacksan

Quote:
Hmmm, thanks... what cars did te C50 come in?

Even if I find a tranny, I believe that the biggest issue is going to be finding a ECU that will work...
Hmmm, I really can't say when the C50 was first used, but the MR2 had it in the early models. Let me dig a little more and see.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Walter

Quote:
Hmmm, I really can't say when the C50 was first used, but the MR2 had it in the early models. Let me dig a little more and see.
Hmmm good deal, thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
blacksan

Quote:
Hmmm good deal, thanks!!!
No prob, I am a gear head and enjoy learning about new stuff all the time.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Walter

Quote:
No prob, I am a gear head and enjoy learning about new stuff all the time.
Awesome, I started to do some research and just found this online... on a AE92 page

"Did you know that the Mk1 AW11 N/A MR2 (damn... that was a lot of letters in there, huh?!) has the same C52 tranny as the AE92 GT-S? If you're thinking about going to the wrecking yard and finding an MR2's tranny to replace your tired tranny in the AE92... FORGET IT!!! Remember, the MR2's drivetrain is behind the passenger cabin. Thus, the AW11's shifter mechanism is on the opposite of the AE92's. You're always free to crack the case open and see if you can swap the shifter mechanism's internals, but you're on your own here!"
Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 AM   #8
blacksan

You know a shift kit and some different viscosity fluid might get you what you are looking for in your slush box. What is your goal?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #9
Walter

Quote:
You know a shift kit and some different viscosity fluid might get you what you are looking for in your slush box. What is your goal?
I like having control, just used to having a manual I guess. Driver involvement is a big thing for me to have fun when drivng... and I want to eliminate the lag that comes from "gear hunting"
Old 05-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
blacksan

Quote:
I like having control, just used to having a manual I guess. Driver involvement is a big thing for me to have fun when drivng... and I want to eliminate the lag that comes from "gear hunting"
I fully understand. It took me a couple of weeks to find a manual trans in a Yaris. I bet there are a few in the scrap yard already. Have you tried the local wrecking yard yet? They operate off a nation wide data base (most often) and can find you parts pretty quick these days.
Closed Thread