Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Bump Stops (going back to stock)

Hello all...long time no see. After the wedding I have been busy with school. In any case, I have been toying with the idea of putting my springs back in and either selling off the Tanabe springs or keeping them in the attic.

Reason: The bumps and potholes in the medical center aren't getting any smaller. I scrape the bottom of the car over the SMALLEST speed bumps, even if I have just one person in the back AND I take the speed bump at an angle. I scrape the front end without even trying. Overall, I do plan on keeping this car for longer than 5 years and so I want least amount of scrapes going under my car. I guess when I graduate then maybe I'll put the Tanabe springs back in when I can afford some stiffer, TRD shocks.

Question: Do I have to buy new bump stops since the ones in my car are cut? Kind of obvious but still, another alignment is in order if I switch again, right?
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Maybe the speed bump is just too high for the car... so you will scrape the bottom no matter what (even with stiffer shocks)

Have you tried rolling over at 0mph?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
To bad you have to go back to stock, mines are great never ever bottom it, even in Boston streets and speed bumps.

Depending on how you drive I would buy new front bump stops.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I would replace the bump stops...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
texkid

Well guys, I might just keep it the way it is.

I took my car to my mechanic for the brake inspection and tire rotation, he has the lift. I asked him to lift my car as high as possible to take a look at the damage. Its surprisingly in much better shape than expected. There are few nicks on the muffler and front plastic. He said the bottom of the engine and brake lines are in great condition and so as long as I don't hit a pothole going 60mph that my car would be fine.

I guess I'll try be more careful. I do take the speed bumps at 0mph. Maybe I am not "cutting" at a sharper angle.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
derickveliz2

It's hard for me to realize how big the speed bumps are or how low your car is? I take all speed bumps perpendicular with no problem. How low is your car?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
texkid

Are you anywhere near San Antonio? I would like to see your suspension set-up...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
It's hard for me to realize how big the speed bumps are or how low your car is? I take all speed bumps perpendicular with no problem. How low is your car?
hey i noticed ur from MA and im surprised you say you dont get any problems with bottoming out in boston. could it be because you are running bigger tires than stock? i plan on installing the NF210's soon but on stock wheels and tires. im just hoping that i dont bottom out all day on those!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by songa View Post
hey i noticed ur from MA and im surprised you say you dont get any problems with bottoming out in boston. could it be because you are running bigger tires than stock? i plan on installing the NF210's soon but on stock wheels and tires. im just hoping that i dont bottom out all day on those!
I do go to Boston very often for work.

I had 185/60/15 a taller tire (23.7in), no problem

I have 205/50/15 a wider tire but smaller in diameter 23.1in (the car sits 1/4 inch lower), no problem
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
texkid

Are you anywhere near San Antonio? I would like to see your suspension set-up...

Cheers! M2
I am actually in Houston area. I venture out to San Antonio every so often. I have the DF120 with the stock shocks. Also, I am still using the steel wheels and tires that came with the care. When I get a chance, I'll post pics of it.

As far as the exact height, I haven't had a chance to measure it. I want to estimate about maybe 6in off the ground. I'll try to get a more exact measurement later.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
texkid

Okay, found the pics.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
offtopic: hey noel, congratz on the wedding! i heard it snowed there today!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #13
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
offtopic: hey noel, congratz on the wedding! i heard it snowed there today!
Heck yeah man! It snowed some pretty heavy flakes! Unfortunately it was short lived. The wedding was a blast. I had exams all week and then we have the honeymoon in a couple of days. So it was been a crazy couple of weeks.