Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
New Generation Injectors : Piezo Technology

In September 2000, Siemens VDO Automotive started mass production of piezo injectors for diesel engines and immediately became the technology leader in that sector.

In comparison with the solenoid valves previously used, piezo injectors can be controlled much more precisely, so they can inject fuel in several exactly proportioned amounts during an engine cycle. This can lead to fuel savings of 20 to 30 %, as well as sharply reduced exhaust emissions.

Full ariticle:

http://w1.siemens.com/innovation/en/...technology.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIEZO.jpg (42.7 KB, 114 views)
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Mercedes and several other companies suffer from big problems with these kind of injectors.

220 CDI and 250 CDI was supposed to be "THE" engine from Mercedes but now many owners cant drive their car because the piezo injectors are faulty and spare parts are not available or have very long waiting times. Mercedes had to reduce production of these engines because of the problems.

Supplier in this case is Delphi.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
well this was a short lived thread, hah. I can see peizo's wearing out rather fast under these kind of conditions, but who knows, certainly not me!

i do wonder about toyota's direct injection d4-s system and it's implications on new engines coming out, primarily they have been used on larger engines but it'd be nice to see it make it to 2.0L and under. hopefully more details will be released on the FT-86 concept
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i had delphi injectors, piezzo, disk instead of pintle. i ran 450+ hp, 8 injectors, 50k miles with no problems. i ran 36lb/hr injectors, and i had ACCEL injectors beforehand. car ran smoother, quicker revs, more (noticeable) power, and better fuel economy on these injectors.

plus they were cheap at over half the price
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote