Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #73
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
... oh... and I've had a chance to push it on some twisty roads and it performs quite well. - I like it.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #74
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Chalk another one up for the, "it works" crowd.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #75
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Well this thread was pretty entertaining.

I have to say that I have noticed that many threads have turned out this way recently...

Product threads were quite informative with pictures, impressions, comments, etc., but it seems that rampant criticism, fanboyism, and idiocy have taken control of the responses.

Overall, I'm glad to see the sway bar installed on the Yaris and I'm looking forward to more impressions, intelligent criticism, and less idiocy.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #76
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I have to admit a certain level of skepticism on the efficacy of any inexpensive mod, but I don't really understand the need to make mulitple, thread-crapping comments. If you've done a mod and didn't see much benefit, by all means mention it, but why turn it into a big fight?

In any case, this mod is cheap enough and at least designed to address my biggest complaint about the Yaris' handling, so I think I'll be giving it a shot.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #77
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Combinine the sway bar with stiffer springs and you should be all right.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #78
St_G

If I could (afordably) do that without also lowering the car, I'd be all over it. I might still buy the TRD springs, since they don't lower very much and keep the same relative F/R heights (I REALLY don' like the look of most of the other lowering springs, as they drop the rear too much in relation to the front).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Combinine the sway bar with stiffer springs and you should be all right.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #79
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

I've not bottomed out my car on TTE springs ever, though its only two weeks since I installed it. The TTE springs turn out to be really comfortable and I have to say they aren't handling-oriented-stiff.

It appears that TTE found the exact spring rate balance between ride comfort and avoiding bottoming out the car while lowering it. Handling is not so much the focus of the springs... and no one complains of an uncomfortable car, they don't realize I've swapped the springs out.

I said in another thread they drop 30/25mm front to rear, so the car sits a little lower in front actually. Tein dressup springs and Tanabes seem to do an equal front and rear drop.

A lower front tends to shift the CG of the car forward a little as well, giving better on-power steering such as coming out of corners, but the trade off is a more nervous rear end when you brake.

I've let some air out of the rear tires to help cure the restless rear, though its not something I feel. More than one passenger told me that my rear end felt like it was stepping out when I drive enthusiastically, while I just feel that it comes around really well without feeling like the car is dragging its ass through corners.

But to come back on topic, I'm really interested in the sway bar too. How springs might come into play with the swaybar, is that if the springs are too stiff, the swaybar might not be able to transfer enough weight across to the unladen wheel to make a difference.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #80
St_G

I remember the pics of your car, Cleong, and I very much liked the stance. I'm not concerned with bottoming out so much as I just kinda like the stock ride height. But I don't at all like the pitching and rolling during turns.

So yeah, for $150 and an install that I can do myself? I'm going to give this bar a shot. Hell, if I don't feel any difference, I'm sure I can turn it around and not lose too much cash on the deal.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #81
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Well with my Tanabe DF's, Tanabe upper strut bar, and Cusco lower tie bar, I too was told the overall improvements were all in my head...

The rear sway is next on my list.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #82
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Well with my Tanabe DF's, Tanabe upper strut bar, and Cusco lower tie bar, I too was told the overall improvements were all in my head...

The rear sway is next on my list.
If you still have the stock tires, get rid of them. Putting something better on is the best thing you can do, even before springs.

Both the tie bars should have helped a little.. the spring should have been more dramatic though.

Who told you that?
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #83
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
he's making fun on the original ass-umption that the sway bar does nothing, it's all in people's heads, hence the eye-rolling smiley... right?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #84
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
I remember the pics of your car, Cleong, and I very much liked the stance. I'm not concerned with bottoming out so much as I just kinda like the stock ride height. But I don't at all like the pitching and rolling during turns.

So yeah, for $150 and an install that I can do myself? I'm going to give this bar a shot. Hell, if I don't feel any difference, I'm sure I can turn it around and not lose too much cash on the deal.
I'd really suggest you plump for height adjustable suspension with stiffer springs then, given your preference for the stock ride height. I'm not sure if there's anyone making springs that let you maintain your stock ride height while reducing the pitching and rolling.

Of course, the swaybar's a much cheaper option, and I think even if the problem isn't completedly fixed, you're already halfway there, and then you can think about the suspension I mentioned above.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #85
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
C'mon cupcake, it was well below freezing and quite windy the day I did mine.
hehe, its minus 30 and 2 feet of snow where i live, garage is full of summer shit, table, chairs, snow blower....kids toys!!!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #86
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Wow! for a minute i thought i was on honda tech. I hope it mellows in here thats why i like coming here: to get away from the b.s. of the other sites. If i had the car i would rock the sway.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #87
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
Just ordered the TRD Sway bar along with TRD lowering springs, this should make a diffrence!
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #88
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

good deal.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #89
St_G

Ordered the sway bar from Sparks last night. Was going to order the springs too, but I spent damn near $150 on dinner Friday night (sort of on accident) so those will have to wait while I get my alarm and window tinting installed.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #90
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
put the trd sway bar on today and it looks nice. not sure if it does anything yet, but springs are coming next......