Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
hero

Drives: Yaris Sedan
when Should I change my OEM Potenza tires?

Hi All,

I have put on my Yarii OEM Potenza tires about 15,000 Km, within 2 years (nice usage!), one of friends recommends I have to change the tires as it should be changed on 40,000 Km or 2 years as a safety matter, which is first...Is this correct!!?

Thanks for you all.
hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
change based on tread depth.I replace when the tread depth is around 20%
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
It also depends on your driving style. For example, I take corners kind of fast so mine were quite bald by 48,000 Km, even with rotations.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Run them down to the wear bars and then replace them.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I don't know what it is like living in Egypts' environmental conditions. I would suspect that if you are not wearing the tires down within a reasonable timeframe, then one would have to monitor age of tire as well. Rubber compounds harden over time, hence becoming unsafe even if there is plenty of tread life left.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
I changed my Potenzas after only 30,000 miles as they had become very slippery and quite dangerous when wet. This was even with 20,000 miles of babying the car and rotation every 5000 miles. I found getting new tires to be the best thing I could have done as it was a drastic change in both handling and ride quality. The Potenzas are also quite expensive for what you get. You could easliy find much better tyres for 2/3 the price.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I don't know what it is like living in Egypts' environmental conditions. I would suspect that if you are not wearing the tires down within a reasonable timeframe, then one would have to monitor age of tire as well. Rubber compounds harden over time, hence becoming unsafe even if there is plenty of tread life left.
5 years is the general guideline for replacing tires whether worn-out or not. As WeeYari has stated the rubber degrades over time and performance and reliability is compromised.
That said, I can't imagine the cheesy OEM tires on my Yaris being roadworthy in five years. These Goodyear LS's offer scant dry traction now at only 2 years of age even with >50% tread depth remaining. Oddly they work okay in the wet while at the same time are terrifying on the slightest bit of snow. All season NOT. Monsoon season maybe.
I'll be shopping for some sticky sneakers this year once the winter boots get packed away.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Welcome to the forums!

It might be helpful if you took some pics of the tires to see how the treads are doing...

Have you rotated the tires yet? If not, you should.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I only got 30,000kms out of my Potenzas, and my Hankooks are showing wear after 10,000. I blame the front end geometry, it is unlike anything I've ever driven before; it as if Ackermann was some kind of wierdo, not to be followed by Toyota engineers. That setup EATS tires, unless all one does is drive freeways. I'm very disappointed, as all the money I save in fuel is going into tires!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
I changed mine around 26K miles (41600 Km). I still have enough tread to go beyond 30K miles but the Costco sale and Michelin rebate enticed me to change them. Now, I have Michelin Harmony. It's much better than the Potenza.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
If you don't mind just a little road noise for daily driving, you could go for a set of Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires in 195/50/15 size. They're not expensive and take a long time to wear down. Also, you're gas mileage shouldn't be noticeably affected as long as you take it easy.

I'm currently running 205/50/15 size for the added benefit of tighter cornering in Auto-X (even though the gas mileage is isn't as great as it was on the narrower OEM Potenza's because 205's have a wider contact patch and added material weight). After 16,000 Km of hard driving they're barely showing a few superficial scuffs here and there. I just can't shred these tires no matter how hard I try, so they're worth it

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
As soon as you get the car-- the RE92's that come with the car here in the US stink
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Being cheap by nature I will try to get the most miles possible out of my tires. They will have to get to the ware bars before I change them. Currently have 20k and plan to drive them to 45 - 50k.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Being cheap by nature I will try to get the most miles possible out of my tires. They will have to get to the ware bars before I change them. Currently have 20k and plan to drive them to 45 - 50k.
Good Luck
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I'm going to side with your friend, sort of. Tires do harden and deteriorate with age, regardless of mileage and remaining tread depth. After 2 years in the elements, they will be noticeably less soft and less grippy than they were when new. That said, it's not uncommon for people to run a set of tires for 5 years or more... so it's really up to you how long you're willing to leave a set of tires on your car.

Personally, my tires never last 2 years. I do a lot of autocrossing and occasional track driving in my car, and I think my record is about 11 months.

But, on my wife's car, I regularly insist that she replace her tires about every 3 years... usually at about half tread depth.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote