Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #91
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
RocklandToyota,I have a few questions about your sig.Do those TC mats have a TC logo or Scion logo?Do they fit the Yaris perfectly,does the driver side mat use the 2 clips to stay in place?
Why did you use the XB neon light package,is it the same package for the Yaris,just cheaper?
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #92
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Ohya,I have my rear TRD bar installed,and my ass is alot smoother,like a baby's.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 AM   #93
curik

Drives: 06 yaris AT
Hmm I wonder if the torsion beam is an independent type of suspension. On my Accord Euro (very similar to your Acura TSX in the USA) has independent rear suspension, and I could feel a huge improvement by upgrading the stock swaybar, there is more oversteer. But since the swaybar acts to limit the movements between the left and right arms, it requires the left arm to be independent to the right one. In our case, the torsion beam connects the left and right suspension, hence by adding an extra swaybar, it increases the "stiffness" of the torsion beam. However since torsion beam is a non independent type suspension, the increase of handling performance will be less than if it was fitted on an independent type rear suspension.

This could be the reason why he said adding a swaybar on a torsion beam suspension does not do s@#!. I actually own a liftback yaris and I am thinking to get the swaybar too. But so far I have not seen any convincing words which can make me click the buy it now button.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #94
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
How would a conventional, chassis-mounted, linkage-drop down arm system work with a trorsion-beam suspension design? I can see how the trd one basically just stiffens up the beam, but couldn't you take the sway bar, mount it to the body on poly bushings and connect it to the shock mounts on short linkage arms? If you are looking for a truly stiffened, 3-wheel cornering without having to have insanely high spring rates, wouldn't that do the trick? Am I totally smoking crack here or what? Somebody who understands this better help me out.

Oh, and this is my first post, Hello everyone! :)
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #95
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
I gots me a sway bar that I paid "big bucks" for. :)
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #96
SDsurfrider

Drives: 07 Sedan S
There are a bunch of good sources online dealing with suspension setups and how changes will affect handling. A quick google search turned up these examples:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

I have a porsche 924s autoXer and these are from those forums(I know the 924s is not the yaris but it too has a torsion system rear susp):

http://www.wtrscca.org/tech.htm
http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/thandling.htm
http://importnut.net/tiretech.htm#hipochrt
http://www.cjtire.com/pdfs/Servicing...&%20Wheels.pdf

Anyways when I put on the rear sway bar on that car I immediately noticed a difference, more so because it is RWD though.
SDsurfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #97
Milk Dud
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Tires with swaybar

I see you've been mentioning about descent tires to go along with the sway bar. Just wondering what sort of tires you'd recommend. I'm thinking of buying 16s and a sway bar for my girlfriend's 07 Sedan for Christmas. Also, anyone experienced any bad things with 205/55R16s on stock springs?
Milk Dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #98
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
The sway itself is big difference. I organized a GB on them and you will not be disappointed!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #99
akirawm

Drives: YARIS 1.3
sway bar for yaris sedan ?
akirawm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #100
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by akirawm View Post
sway bar for yaris sedan ?
Yes, TRD and others.
In the case of sway-bar, same part for sedan and HB.
I installed mine weeks before the other TRD parts.
BIG improvement! Reduced body roll (sportier) and reduced cross-wind effect on the highway (safety) providing a much more relaxing ride.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #101
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Ultra Racing 19mm sway bar (liftback and sedan), same size and quality as TRD, $30+ cheaper:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...0&categoryId=4

Ultra Racing 23mm sway bar (liftback and sedan), beefier, more anti-roll in turns:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...5&categoryId=4
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #102
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Some say they make no difference while others say they do. Maybe it's more to do with variations in our nervous systems abilities to feel the differences or lack there of. All I know is that before I put mine on it didn't handle sharp turns without a fight where now it fights noticeably less. For my nervous system they were worth every cent.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #103
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Some say they make no difference while others say they do. Maybe it's more to do with variations in our nervous systems abilities to feel the differences or lack there of. All I know is that before I put mine on it didn't handle sharp turns without a fight where now it fights noticeably less. For my nervous system they were worth every cent.
Pokey drivers may not notice the flattened cornering by adding an anti-sway bar but it would be hard not to appreciate the increased cross-wind stability if you drive on the freeway with strong winds and semi's abound.
I'd like to sample the 23mm bar although it's billed as being for 'the track', not street.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #104
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have the 23mm bar for steet use and I love it.
I can't see how it would be a problem for a DD for anyone who has any semblance of driving skills.

It also make freeway driving much safer because fast, emerency lane chages, etc are much more secure and stable.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #105
'LilRedYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to 'LilRedYaris
Had the Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar installed on my sedan today. Huge, huge difference. Luckily, I got to test it fairly thoroughly today too. The Yaris is definitely tighter and surer on the road now. Steering and cornering are almost effortless. All I can say is: "Wow!". Kudos to Garm @ Micro Image for providing great products, customer service & support. Digging my YW T-shirt too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00513.jpg (149.8 KB, 208 views)
'LilRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #106
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ awesome, glad you like it! Definitely in my "Top 5 things they should have included on the car" list.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #107
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The "Ultra" 19mm bar from MI, like Garm said is same as TRD but less expensive is what I put on mine. I love it, Those who say it wont make a difference obviously have not tried it. Knowing that a sway/torsion bar is going to stiffen the suspension in the corners, I went with the 19mm since its my daily driver and didnt want the ride quality to suffer. Honestly, you would have to drive thru the same corner and be keenly aware of every bump to POSSIBLY tell any difference in ride quality. But the difference in handling is very noticeable! As you enter a corner, the rear of body will take a slight lean and then just set and go! Very interesting actually as if your paying any attention, you can tell by feel and by eye when it kicks in. Crosswind stability and driving by trucks and such are also much improved.
As I said, I had worried that ride would stiffen up too much,but that was unfounded as it really hasnt changed at all. I wish now that I had gotten the 23mm as pushing it into corners is much more fun,lol. My only concern now is how much sooner I'm gonna have to replace tires from all my "playing around" LOL Any of you still on the fence about doing this can be assured it is money well spent, and Micro Image has good stuff! I'm sure the TRD is good also, but i know who I'm getting mine from.......
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #108
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I have the 23mm and I love it. You definitely have to push it hard to start seeing it's limit. It all depends on what kind of driving you want to do with your car. If you like it mild or wild, I'm sure the 19mm would do just fine for most but 23mm adds in that extra little bit just in case you need it :)
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote