Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What would you buy?
A Corolla 8 22.22%
A Liftback 14 38.89%
Switch brands 13 36.11%
Intend on leaving the sub-compact segment anyway 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
If there's no sedan coming, would you buy a Corolla, liftback, or go elsewhere?

OK, we've read the rumors so far that suggest Toyota is dropping the sedan.

As a hypothetical (to those mostly interested in sedans), even if you're not considering a purchase anytime soon, what would you now do if there's no Yaris sedan to buy?

To liftback owners, I ask that you not vote [for the liftback] and skew the poll since that's probably what you'd buy anyway. Thanks.

Just wanna get a sense of where people stand and to see if Toyota is indeed making a big mistake.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
OK, we've read the rumors so far that suggest Toyota is dropping the sedan.

As a hypothetical (to those mostly interested in sedans), even if you're not considering a purchase anytime soon, what would you now do if there's no Yaris sedan to buy?

To liftback owners, I ask that you not vote [for the liftback] and skew the poll since that's probably what you'd buy anyway. Thanks.

Just wanna get a sense of where people stand and to see if Toyota is indeed making a big mistake.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
But
From everything I've read, the Corolla build quality doesn't seem to be
up to par with the Yaris.
So
I'd probably look elsewhere. (which sucks 'cause I'm a huge Toyota fan)
Back to Honda maybe?
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've owned both, but presently only have the sedan so here's my opinion:

the corolla is more of an 'old folks' car and the yaris is geared more towards the younger generation. i test drove a corrolla before the salesman - a buddy of mine - recommended i try this 'new thing they just got in'(this was back in may of '06). the corolla just seemed boring to me and the yaris was similar in price and A LOT better looking!

the liftback was just too small for our family so we got rid of it, but if i was looking to buy again today i would probably take a long look at the new korean offerings. i've owned a civic before and liked it, but everything i'm reading about the new ones is not-so-great(which is a shame because they make them right here in indiana).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
why would you want a sedan over a liftback anyway????????
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky View Post
A lot of people, especially in America, still would never buy a liftback/hatchback. There's both functional and aesthetic reasons for this.

A sedan provides an easier lift trunk that is covered. There's also more cargo space when carrying passengers.

As for looks, many prefer the traditional proportions of a sedan to the cut off, stubby looks of a hatch. Just personal preference.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
KIDS.... Which is why next sedan is a camry or a big boy 4runner.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
just keep ur current sedan lol problem fixed
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
^lol

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Have you ever tried to fit any cargo in the car with people in the back seat? The trunk in the HB is TINY! I love my hatchback but if I were buying a new Yaris today it would be a sedan no question (unless I were to fork out for a Matrix).

Of course if there were no sedan available I'd almost certainly jump ship for a Hyundai Accent or Ford Fiesta.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
just keep ur current sedan lol problem fixed
Yup, and I think many of us are going the long haul. That's why this poll is mostly a hypothetical. It's mainly to show what might be the buying decision of people that may not yet have a Yaris but would be in the market for a small sedan and considering Toyota.

Good thing Toyota built the Yaris to last forever, since it appears they are abandoning half of their customer base.

I plan on going to at least 300,000 miles with mine (and I know even then it won't be nearly dead). That will take me to about 2019 (at my current mileage rate) making the Yaris 12 years old. By then, they'll be some pretty sweet new choices.

Last edited by Kal-El; 08-20-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Kal-El

I have to admit, the 3 cars on the market today that I'd most seriously consider are compacts, which I believe is the segment I'll move to next.

They are the...

Ford Focus
Hyundai Elantra
Chevy Cruze

In that order.

These are sweet cars that have redefined the segment and can all get 40 MPG. They show a lot of promise in quality, however long term isn't proven like Toyota. That would be my only hesitation. I'd likely buy a Focus sedan if I were buying today. The new Civic sucks and the Corolla has just fallen behind these guys in most categories.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
The new Sky-Active Mazda 3 should be very nice as well, lower body weight and much more effiecient engine. It's not a traditional sedan however. The Mazda6 should have a powerful diesel that has tons of torque. ETA is next year.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
The new Hyundai Accent would probably be a popular candidate.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yup, and I think many of us are going the long haul. That's why this poll is mostly a hypothetical. It's mainly to show what might be the buying decision of people that may not yet have a Yaris but would be in the market for a small sedan and considering Toyota.

Good thing Toyota built the Yaris to last forever, since it appears they are abandoning half of there customer base.

I plan on going to at least 300,000 miles with mine (and I know even then it won't be nearly dead). That will take me to about 2019 (at my current mileage rate) making the Yaris 12 years old. By then, they'll be some pretty sweet new choices.
My previous car was a 2001 Echo. It was a great car that I had planned on keeping for at least a half million miles...but somebody crossed the centerline and hit me head on. My echo had 318,000 miles on it and was a great car up until then, but I was forced to get something different (new 2010 Yaris sedan).

My daily driver has been a Toyota since 1991. No subcompact sedan when I need one.....I'll buy a Honda (even if they don't have a subcompact sedan).

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 08-20-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The liftbacks are fun and all, but I just like the ride of my sedan much more. I can't explain it...to me, somehow, the sedan feels more refined. At least mine does. A few folks from here got to ride in mine at IA, etc and I wonder if they will chime in and agree.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Fiat 500 baby! Ooo Yeah!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Flipper_1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Fiat 500 baby! Ooo Yeah!
You must not have been around the last time they sold fiats in the US.

...P. O. S !!!
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
My previous car was a 2001 Echo. It was a great car that I had planned on keeping for at least a half million miles...but somebody crossed the centerline and hit me head on. My echo had 318,000 miles on it and was a great car up until then, but I was forced to get something different (new 2010 Yaris sedan).

My daily driver has been a Toyota since 1991. No subcompact sedan when I need one.....I'll buy a Honda (even if they don't have a subcompact sedan).

I'm curious at your logic here.

Are you saying you'd buy a Fit or a Civic? A Fit hatchback would be an odd choice considering you'd leave Toyota because they don't offer a sedan, but only a hatch.