Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
Another 2012 review.

This one is pretty good-
http://www.cars.com/toyota/yaris/201...s/?revid=57547
Unfortunately it's looking more'n more like the sedan's a goner.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
The RHD Vios sells to well for it to be just up and gone. I'd expect the Vios/Belta to live on in other markets, with it possibly being reintroduced for the USDM 6 months - 1 year after the 5 door Yaris.

As you all remember, the 5 door Yaris wasn't available for the USDM for quite some time, and it's not uncommon for Toyota to maintain odd and mis-matched product life-cycles. Another possibility is that they may re-allocate the Yaris Sedan to Scion, to help boost weak Scion sales. However, the Yaris hatch would be a redundant with Scion's hatchback offerings, thus why it remains as a Toyota.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
As usual this reviewer is a hater of the center console which is a real pity. Too many people are troubled by real change be it for the good or the bad. As for the reference to not having a sedan I just find that really funny. Since the Yaris has launched in 06 I have been to many places all over the world and the Vios did very well. I always saw more of them on the highways and streets including here stateside.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.

Last edited by fnkngrv; 08-21-2011 at 12:32 PM.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P. View Post
This one is pretty good-
http://www.cars.com/toyota/yaris/201...s/?revid=57547
Unfortunately it's looking more'n more like the sedan's a goner.
Thanks for the link.

Sounds a lot like the other handful of reviews done so far...basically saying it's an "OK car" for the segment. A non standout that doesn't lead in any categories. This is really unfortunate. It will find enough buyers because its a Toyota, but it's too bad that it isn't going to earn many customers based on real and competitive merits which I felt the 2007 Yaris did in its field at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
The RHD Vios sells to well for it to be just up and gone. I'd expect the Vios/Belta to live on in other markets, with it possibly being reintroduced for the USDM 6 months - 1 year after the 5 door Yaris.

As you all remember, the 5 door Yaris wasn't available for the USDM for quite some time, and it's not uncommon for Toyota to maintain odd and mis-matched product life-cycles. Another possibility is that they may re-allocate the Yaris Sedan to Scion, to help boost weak Scion sales. However, the Yaris hatch would be a redundant with Scion's hatchback offerings, thus why it remains as a Toyota.
Good points. I've been arguing similar points as this rumor has taken on traction. It's almost as if Toyota has made this [unconfirmed] decision to drop the sedan based on the Japanese domestic market, where the hatch sells tremendously well (sedans don't do well in Japan). However, as you mention, the Yaris sedan/Vios/Belta sells very well worldwide. Even in the US, there's no way in hell it's 70/30 in favor of the hatch. I've driven around the country and always notice more like a 70/30 split in favor of sedans. There's numerous countries that even use sedans as taxis. They certainly won't use hatches.

I don't know if these auto journalists have gotten their info direct from Toyota or just some ignorant US Toyota reps that are often misinformed.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
^^ It's no different than the Nissan Versa sedan being released before the hatchback... The Yaris sedan and hatch are two different models, and such, the redesign WILL arrive later. I expect that one year from now, I will be posting on the "I told you so" thread for the doubters. That or I will have some incredibly rotten egg on my face.

The Yaris platform is the base for nearly a dozen models that honestly don't sell well. Toyota isn't going to just drop the sedan... It's coming, but not yet. Give it a year. The worldwide releases of the Yaris and Belta/Vios were never simultaneous anyway.

Last edited by djct_watt; 10-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
yaris sales had gotten stale, the sedan even more so.

the yaris sedan is dead. it will not come back to the states and i couldnt be happier.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
I'd take the sedan any day.
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
yaris sales had gotten stale, the sedan even more so.

the yaris sedan is dead. it will not come back to the states and i couldnt be happier.
I have constantly seen 3 times as many sedans as the hatchback since the Yaris was launched.

And I guess you're only happy because you own a Corolla. Many of us much prefer the Yaris sedan over the Corolla.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Toyota has ditched the sedan version of the Yaris, saying buyers chose hatchback versions 70 percent of the time.
Told ya that hatches were better!

Seriously, the sedan wasn't even offered in Europe; so it's no surprise that it wasn't a big seller worldwide. Around here I would say the sedan/hatch ratio is about half-and-half, but to be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to the sedans as they are a completely different car than the hatch. The guy across the street from me bought one after seeing my hatch, and even with them both being the same great color (black sand pearl); there is little that is common between our two cars.

With the introduction of the five-door in 2009 I thought there might be a chance that the sedan gets dropped. I would say it might be due to the fact that Toyota would rather have people buy the Corolla, but if you use that logic there is a close comparison between the new Yaris hatch and the Matrix. I saw one of the latter last weekend and actually thought it was the new 2012 Yaris!

But what is up with the sportier SE model only being sold as five-doors?!?

Cheers! M2
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I have constantly seen 3 times as many sedans as the hatchback since the Yaris was launched.

And I guess you're only happy because you own a Corolla. Many of us much prefer the Yaris sedan over the Corolla.
i no longer own a corolla. im just happy cause i hate sedans in general.

i only voted for obama cause i heard he would outlaw sedans in this country

the only way a yaris sedan makes sense is if they do what nissan did and try to sell one for $12K.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

But what is up with the sportier SE model only being sold as five-doors?!?

Cheers! M2
same thing as with the sedan. the take rate is so low on 3 doors. i think they just didnt see the sense in offering all the models in a 3 door.

its probably the same reason you cant get a stick in all the models. you either get the cheapest model or the most expensive model.

im sure the mid level model will be the mass seller and the masses dont want sticks and they dont want 3 doors.