Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Custom sub box for a sedan...

Well, backround on this enclosure. I got sick of how far my box was intruding in my trunk. The reason I made a change though, I had a flat tire, lucky for me I had a friend there to help unbolt the box and then lift it as i grabbed the spare...after that episode, i decided it was time for a change. my car is a base model sedan, and the rear seats do not fold down. it turns out there have a plastic divider between the back seat and the trunk...removing it allowed me extra inches. the box is built up to the styrafoam of the back seat, about 1" away top to bottom. the box was rough to build because of the amount of angles needed to get it to fit into the little space i had available and the amount of air my MTX's wanted.

anyway, on to the box! its built out of 3/4" plywood and MDF. it uses bracing and brackets for greater strenth. it is held together with wood screws, epoxy, and liquid nails. outside seams are coated with silicone, and the inside of the box painted with polytype fiberglass resin. the outside of the box was hit with a sealing primer, then with gloss white paint and several coats of acrylic enamel clearcoat. the enclosures are also using some polyfiber dampening material.

the box was assembled inside the car, as it cannot be placed in or removed from the vehicle due to its depth and height. the amp is sitting on hand fabbed brackets to allow it to sit above the outer lip of the 12" woofers. the wiring for it runs underneath.

on to the pics:

as soon as the parts are here, there will be lighting under and alongside the amp. but, thats as far as i have progressed to date!

p.s. the enclosure looks massive...but, as far as floor space, i am only intruding on a few inches of available trunk space because i am using the area behind where the devider used to be. the important thing to me is i have 7" more trunk depth, it looks better, sounds better, its 60 pounds lighter, and you can get spare tire out without touching the box!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
goku87

Drives: Black HB
very neat. why the use of plywood over complete mdf?
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
bxrich
bx in the house

Drives: toyota yaris sedan
nice & clean spades i like biggggggggg box. but i need my space i'll post pic's of mine.
bxrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
the MDF is harder to work with in terms of putting together with small pieces at angles, it doesnt hold a screw as well in my experience. MDF is a more dense material, but i needed strenth as well. since making the entire enclosure out of fiberglass would have been more trouble than I wanted, i used MDF and a high grade 3/4 plywood to build the walls, and a few coats of fiberglass resin to help compensate for the differing material density.

the enclosure looks massive, and in terms of lenth and height it is, but its pretty shallow depth-wise...so I still have almost all of my trunk space i had from the factory!