Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
jookybanana
1NZ-FE all day long

Drives: HS13, NCP91, GE8
rear suspension making knocking noises

i have tein basic coilovers and currently stock rims, but the sound was there even with my aftermarket rims, and its only making the noise on the rear driver side, only over bumps on the road, sounds like knocking/clunking noise, almost like a bushing is worn
has anyone experienced this? is it normal due to age? or is my shocks blown?
jookybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
I have a similar sound in my Yaris / and I had the exact sound in my Echo hatchback that I have in my Yaris (although both featured totally different setups ) (coilovers in the Yaris v.s. struts and springs in the Echo)

has nobody else experienced this issue? (with less than perfect sounds from the rear suspension after lowering?

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Try a search.
I recall some had rear axle contact with or near the gas tank. Perhaps due to a bad mix of aftermarket parts but I don't really recall the details.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
My rear TRD shocks are noisy, but they all are for the echo.

Did you make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight back there first?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post

Did you make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight back there first?
AKA = "make sure"!!!

I've been there!

D.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Try a search.
I recall some had rear axle contact with or near the gas tank. Perhaps due to a bad mix of aftermarket parts but I don't really recall the details.
The hitting of the gas tank was only happening to those of us who changed the bolt location of the rear end. If you don't change the position, then the gas tank is fine.

However, you could be hitting your brake line brackets. If you look under your car, mounted on top of the rear beams, you'll see a bracket that holds the brake line. See if you can find marks on that, or marks on your frame (car side) from the bracket. You can also try putting a piece of masking tape on the frame rail above the bracket, which would show marks from impact.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
3cyltrbo

personally I have the exact same crappy solid rear axle sound on my Yaris that I did on the Echo.

The Echo had shocks/springs and they were installed by a master technician friend of mine.

The Yaris has coilovers which I installed, and although I am not a professional mechanic, I consider myself "advanced shade tree mechanic" and I can tell you that because its my own car, I made sure that everything was tight / nothing coming into contact etc....

as for brake line brackets etc..., for me personally its much more of a deeper thud than what a small bracket could ever produce

as for searching

I searched many different word combinations, in both thread titles and thread bodies.

W
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Lil Abner

Well, look at the brackets. They are relatively thick brackets. Because they stand straight up on the rear, when the frame contacts it, it's a solid "THUD". To be honest, the brake bracket is the only thing that hits back there. When I did my springs, I moved the rear through it's full motion. And the brackets were the first, and only thing to hit. I have a lift in my garage, so this was easy to do.

Read through this. We talk about the brake brackets, too:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=23911&page=13

If anything, the pictures show how "low" the rear can get before contact problems. I'm not questioning your experience, I'm just suggesting that you look at those brackets. There are many others on here that have contact with them. I end-up cutting the welds, and rotating the brackets in-bound to give clearance for the frame.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Well, look at the brackets. They are relatively thick brackets. Because they stand straight up on the rear, when the frame contacts it, it's a solid "THUD". To be honest, the brake bracket is the only thing that hits back there. When I did my springs, I moved the rear through it's full motion. And the brackets were the first, and only thing to hit. I have a lift in my garage, so this was easy to do.

Read through this. We talk about the brake brackets, too:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=23911&page=13

If anything, the pictures show how "low" the rear can get before contact problems. I'm not questioning your experience, I'm just suggesting that you look at those brackets. There are many others on here that have contact with them. I end-up cutting the welds, and rotating the brackets in-bound to give clearance for the frame.
Thank you

tons of good info here

once I have weather on my side, and time on my hands this is the first thing I'm gonna look at

thank you

Will
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Try a search.
WITH passengers my MEGAN racing gas tank brace makes contact with axle beam.....
Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
3cyltrbo

thanks everyone for all the info

I took the rear end apart the other day and I finally resolved it was the little bracket that holds the brake line just after it leaves the back plate at the hub.

The brake line rests in that bracket, but frankly its kinda redundant, especially with a solid rear axle like ours - the brake line should always be more or less parallel to the axle (it has a fixed connection at both ends, so it shouldn't be moving very much in between those two points)

I removed the brackets, and voila = peace and quiet

W
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Lil Abner

Nice! I kept the brackets, but re-welded them rotated in-bound just to be safe.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
3cyltrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Nice! I kept the brackets, but re-welded them rotated in-bound just to be safe.
thank you again

W