Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
New front brake pads and rotors

Got new brake pads and rotors today, at 46'600 miles.

I can't begin to tell you the disappointment I am feeling right now, that coupled with utter disbelief.

This was to address an issue brought to my attention a few months ago during an oil change/tire rotation, tech said it appeared that a sliding caliper pin must have gotten stuck and caused uneven pad wear on the DS, they said it looked ok now, but that a brake job and rotor resurfacing would be in order in the future. 80% left on PS.

Let me take a moment here to state I am very light, VERY LIGHT on my brakes. I wasn't even thinking of pads till 100k miles.

When I saw the DS rotor this morning I couldn't believe it, one side, the outside, was shiny, no pitting or grooving. Good, even pad contact, some corrosion around the rim.

The inside was..................well the inside looked as if it had been taken from a Civil War shipwreck on the bottom of Cheasapeake Bay, it was completely corroded except for a single shiny band all the way around in the middle of the rotor about a 1/4 inch wide where the pad was contacting.

Couldn't resurface because there was a deep depression on the outer edge that looked like a large piece had flaked off and to go that deep................well there wouldn't have been much rotor left.

It was amazing, my Honda Accord had better looking rotors when I replaced them at 180'000 miles.

At no time was there any grinding, squealing or pulling to the left, on one or two occasions maybe chatter when somebody did something stupid in front of me that I wrote off to the ABS.

Perhaps if I had gotten it done a few months ago they could have resurfaced them, will never know.

So oil changes, oil changes, oil changes, tire rotations, tire rotations, tire rotations, air filter, and now new front pads and rotors.

BTW= I know what some of you are thinking, I was halfway home when I said "Dammit!, I should have taken a picture."

Last edited by NEexpat; 09-09-2013 at 07:51 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Been there myself.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
yeha.. i've been there too, but mine is the outside of the disk/pad. I changed at around 85k km.

The problem is the slider getting rusted. Once again, they are rusted. I took it out and greased the slider a little bit with high temp grease made for brakes. But the sliders still look ugly and seem to make the pads stick to the caliper.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
NEexpat

OK, I'm not the only one. except mine were done at under 30k km.

WeeYari, the fourth pic in your post out by the edge of the rotor that big flake of rust/corrosion, that was the entire surface on mine with a big chunk missing.

Edit- I have my km to miles reversed, as WeeYari correctly points out it should have been 74'500 km, doesn't make me feel any better, lol.

Last edited by NEexpat; 09-10-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
OK, I'm not the only one. except mine were done at under 30k km.
Actually, yours were done at 74,500km. You went the wrong way on your conversion.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
NEexpat

^You're quite right, sorry about that.

It's still an abysmally low amount of miles to have to do that kind of job.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Do they salt your roads? Is it a weather-related type of corrosion?

Quote:
BTW= I know what some of you are thinking, I was halfway home when I said "Dammit!, I should have taken a picture."
Yeah, pretty much.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
NEexpat

Hey Garm, yup they salt around here in the winter. I'm pretty good about getting to the carwash once a week in the winter, and spend some time time rinsing the underside of the car as much as possible.

Then I was concerned that I may be exacerbating the control arm bolt issue because I would rinse out the wheel wells and into the rotors through the wheels etc. Perhaps I was creating some sort of ice problem around the caliper, have no idea.

I know, I know should have taken a pic, I think I just wanted to get out of there. WeeYari's pics tell the story, 4th pic that rust "flake" out on the edge, that was the surface.

I think because I am easy on the brakes I never felt any appreciable difference in stopping power. Again, maybe If I had acted when it was first brought to my attention the rotors could have been resurfaced.

If this is to be an ongoing issue, I better learn how to change my own brake pads and find a place that resurfaces rotors, because I plan on having this car as long as my last car which I had for almost a quarter of a million miles.

Last edited by NEexpat; 09-10-2013 at 11:19 AM.