Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
'08 2ZR swapped Yaris Track Car For Sale

Here is the link to my listing, message me with any Q's.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1579778263
Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I'd love to buy it just for the 2ZR-FE swap bits but I park my Yaris on the road as it is lol.

Sweet little track weapon though, Im sure its a blast to drive.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
tmontague

Car is now sold.

I'm happy the new owner is a younger kid looking to get into the track alongside his brother who owns a 2010 civic.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Dude, wow, just like that, eh? The ad was closed by the time I got here, so I only saw the first sentence or so in the preview. If you don't mind me asking, what gives? You've been one of the top men around here for years. Surprising to see you offload it that quickly. Are you still planning to browse these pages, or would it be better to connect on something like Instagram going forward?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
tmontague

Sorry for not really giving any context, I was posting it across multiple websites and wanted to drop it quickly on this forum. It is bittersweet and not a car that I wanted to give up nor was it easy to watch it be trailered away. My 4 year old son wouldn't go back into the house until he saw the car drive away and he could wave to it. He turned his first wrench on that car and has been my pit crew ever since he could remember.

Here's the long winded story for those wanting to know:

Every year the car was getting faster and I was dropping a second off my time every year. At the end of 2020 I hit a ringer of a lap with a 1:23:11. I actually went out for a late last session of the year to try and get into the 22's. I was well into achieving this according to my lap timer when I hit the second last turn and caught up to a slower car. I accepted what it was and back off realizing that I'd hit the 22's in 2021.

Fast forward to this year and I set out to get into the 22's. First session of the year and it was cloudy and track temps were cold. I was a solid 3-4 seconds off my time. Headed out again two weeks later in good sunny conditions and again was 2 seconds consistently off my time despite driving harder and with much more skill. I also now confirmed that the MWR stage 1 cams are in fact slower as I was losing time on the straights at every delta.

I spoke with another local YW member (Ronnie) who is a very experienced driver/racer and he confirmed that my tires were heat cycled out. I was around 30 or so heat cycles into the tires at this point. Because I am not racing competitively except with myself, it made no sense to drop $8-900 on new rubber when I could run these one down to the cords.

By the time I went out for another two different track days the tires started blistering and were a consistent 4 seconds off my time (40-50 heat cycles by now). I no longer had consistent turn in and I couldn't pitch the car in hard. It was getting less fun at best and slightly dangerous at its worst.

To make my car fast and fun again I would need new tires (~$800-900), I also am still waiting on the long tube header from MWR that has been constantly delayed since last winter so that I can actually net another 10 or so hp (currently down on HP due to their cams). My rear wheel bearings are starting to get gritty and will need to be replaced at the end of the season.

The header would have to be welded in and exhaust modified as well as engine removed as it is not technically made for our chassis. I would be at least $2k into this and after a year of that I would be looking for the next thing to go faster. The obvious missing thing from my car is a proper tune for 93 octane gas and to raise the rev limit and take proper advantage of my other mods. This is at least $2k for the standalone and the headache during the winter of having to figure how to properly wire it all in by myself with no online how to's or guides. Then the fun part of paying a tuner to build a map from the ground up as no off the shelf base tunes are available for our cars. This is realistically a $5k venture just to net an extra 20 or so hp.

Would it make the car fun and faster? Of course, but at what point do you step back and realize you are at the point of diminishing returns? If I'm being honest with myself, I got to rational limit of this chassis. With new tires and the long tube header I am very confident the car could get into the high 21's. That is stupid fast at TMP for a yaris. It would pretty much beat any factory production car under $50k and have a bast doing it.

To be into the 20's I would likely need to do a high comp 12:1 engine build and that would likely net me 160whp at best and cost well north of $5k. As the cars sits I already am going through brake pads every 6-8 hours ($480 a pop) and tires would last half a season if I want to only use them until they are heat cycled out. The reality is that as you get faster things get more expensive. Anyone who says a faster driver uses the brakes less is full of sh*t and has never been chasing faster times on a track. As you get faster, you brake harder, deeper and turn it with more speed. Brakes, tires and other consumables wear out faster. To put it in perspective I am actually now using Gloc's most aggressive pad (r18) which is typically rated for heavy high hp track cars. This is how late the car brakes and how much heat is built up into them on a technical track like TMP.

It made no rational sense to put another $2k into the car for tires and a header just so I could get into the 22's and maybe 21's for one year only to then sell the car after that year. I spoke to a friend of mine who tracks sport bikes at TMP. He has some friends in his circle who used to race cars but switched to bikes and every one of them said they wouldn't go back to cars after making the switch. Not only are bikes a fraction of the cost in all aspects, they are even more physically demanding due to being able to use your body weight and movements to help you drive faster. On top of that 115 stock hp in a 400lb machine for $3500 is a lesson in economics that you can never achieve in a car. The logistics are also much simpler with bikes as you need a tiney very inexpensive trailer to take them to the track and they take up much less space in a garage.

Selling a track car in the winter is an exercise in futility so I posted it now hoping to get attention of people who want a cheap track car to use for this season. I posted it for $4500 and sold it for $2350. I did not sell it with any of the extras due to the lost price, so I will be posting a set of Konig rims, Gloc pads and control arm bushings for sale soon. I never modified the car expecting to get a return on it. Online classifieds are full of sellers butt hurt that they aren't getting the $30k they are asking for their track car because that's how much they put into it. I'm sure I could have got more if I wanted to sit on it but I wanted it gone so I could by a bike and start riding it.

I am sad as hell to see that car gone, I had a huge emotional attachment to it. At the end of the day it no longer made sense to keep it anymore. I can get the same if not more enjoyment for much less money with a sport bike. I now have more space in my garage to work on the bikes, they take much less time to work on and I can even fit a small bike trailer in my garage as well.

After every track day I had to carve out 2.5 hours of my time just for basic maintenance. it became a hassle to get my dirty car clothes on and jack up the car, take off all the wheels before I could even start wrenching on it. Now that I have two young kids I find I value my time differently and it becomes an issue not so much of can I afford something but do I want to pay that much.

The easiest way to reach me is through private messages on this forum as I get a direct email. Although I do have social media accounts, I am not active on them and do not have the aps on my phone so I will not see if you contact me that way. I will still browse this forum here and there as I currently do and answer Q's that pop up.

My Yaris taught me everything I know on a car and gave me the interest to start the long journey of knowledge on turning wrenches and car modification. It also taught me how to drive a car past the limit and be confident to do so. I am grateful to have owned that car for 10 years and am happy that someone else will be able to learn how to drive on the track with it. The most important lesson learned from this car is that a driver makes a car fast, not the car.

A Honda as a fwd track car makes more sense as there is so much more aftermarket support such as a $400 off the shelf tune, a K swap that reliably nets you 200whp and so on. That said, I am very happy to have tracked a Yaris, it was original and no one expected to see it ripping around as fast as it did. They are very capable chassis up to a point and will teach you a hell of a lot as well.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It's hard to argue with your logic and you have definitely taken the yaris to limits that most of us would never even think about going. I've enjoyed reading your threads over the years and seeing what a yaris is capable of.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Sad to see you go, but I get it. I'm barely even at the beginning of where you went so it's good to see honest assessment of the cost vs performance of the platform.

Be safe out there, there's no roll cage on those things! ;)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
I’ll be sad to see you go man! Keep the shiny side up!

I’ll be looking out for the control arm bushings. I just replaced my LCAs so I have spares to swap these in to.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
...you have definitely taken the yaris to limits that most of us would never even think about going. I've enjoyed reading your threads over the years and seeing what a yaris is capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Sad to see you go...

Be safe out there, there's no roll cage on those things! ;)
+1

It hits close to home because my bro-in-law has been a Toyota and Honda guy since he was a kid and recently made the jump to sport bikes. Not for tracking, he still takes the full bolt on hondata tuned Civic Si to Willow Springs, etc., but he spends far more of his off time doing bike stuff than car stuff these days. Whatever makes you happy and be safe, is what I say!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
tmontague

Thanks all - I recently picked up a Honda Shadow cruiser to get some seat time on and learn to wrench on. Man are bikes ever easy to wrench on compared to cars - in about a week I have a solid understanding of every part and how it all works as well as having been through it all to reassemble and clean it.

The plan is to pick up a Yamaha R6 this winter when prices drop and that will be a track only (not street legal) direct replacement for my car. I'll be trailering it to the track and stripping everything off that isn't needed. Riding bikes on the road is dangerous enough as it is and there is no way I have any business riding a sport bike (or paying to insure it) on public roads - I have two young kids that need a father.

The slow and comfortable Honda cruiser fits that bill and I'll only be riding it locally on some nice quiet farm roads and staying off any major roads. Sadly this past summer there have already been two lethal motorcycle accidents locally. Both the fault of the driver of the car and virtually nothing to do with the motorcycle rider.

I'll be posting up my extra parts for sale today. I took pictures of it all last night as I cleaned my garage.