Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
reapainted interior panels

well, lets start by saying i am not a very technical writer, or a great photogropher, but i thought i would just post a few pics of my work, and maybe inspire someone else in the process :)

sorry dont have pictures of removal of trim, or removal of the the electronics from the deck face, but here is the deck with the buttons i could not remove masked off

every thing was cleaned with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and then sprayed with several layers of Rustolium for Plastics, and then several layers of Rustoliums Crystal Clear Enamal

here are some of the parts ready for paint

deck face, guage surround, and climate controle surround

i also painted the controle knobs for the climate controle black, with the same paint for plastics (took alot of masking...) and also painted the front and rear armrests

here are some install pics

i know i left the volume knobs on the deck that stock silver color...and it does look a little out of place, but it would have required more masking than i would have liked to do, considering i am planning on replacing the entire deck relativly soon.

still to be painted are the gated shifter surround, behind the door release levers, the side cubbys of the center stack, and posibly the two outer air vents, and maybe the background of the front toyota badge, if i decide it wont be to cheese :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Cool...I have the premium stereo as well and had been thinking about replacing it...Since you painted the control knobs and had them out can you tell me how you kept the lighted areas from paint? are they removable as well? Does it look like you could change the color of them to get away from the greenish color because it think that it is so stupid that they would have light blue/white guages on the instrument panel and then the green for the climate controls.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
johnnyfive

all i did to keep them lit was mask off the entire face of the controls, just put masking tape over the entire fron, and a little extended around the sides, then i used a putty knife to push the tape into the space between the face, and the dial, and cut the tape there with a utility knife, so just the outer turning portion of the knobs are painted, with the faces left the stock dark greyish color, and i did the same thing for the little indicator light on the knobs.

the controles are removabel, and if you are going to remove them, there are 2 tabs for each on the back of the front trim, and the tabs on the knobs themelfs dont move, but the thin plastic (part of the front trim piece) needs to be bowed out just enough to slide the little clips past. spent some good time trying to figureout how to get them off of the face part :)

when i painted them, they were one contained unit, no exposed LED's, but i do belive i saw more clips that i could have started poping out of the back... and might have found the led's...

maybe i should have deconstructed them further to check it out :)

well, i ordered the new trim piece from the parts guy at the dealership, and when it gets in, and i go to install the new deck ill pull them again, anc check it out. they do look ok now with the green radio controles, but i am getting a white faced deck, so maybe i should try and make them show white also :)
Old 07-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

kool....also how much are you paying for the replacement face? people on here have said it is around 75 bones?

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

Drives: 07 Silver Streak Mica
Send a message via AIM to MacMaster761
can you explain how you took the dash panels apart? i was wondering if it was hard to do, cause i wanna look at the back of my stereo to see if an ipod adapter fits... nice job on the paint, i'm not gonna do any paint on this car, all the paint i did on my scion xb, sucked!!
MacMaster761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
johnnyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
kool....also how much are you paying for the replacement face? people on here have said it is around 75 bones?
i paid 67 and change, a weak ago they quoted me at 87$...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMaster761
can you explain how you took the dash panels apart? i was wondering if it was hard to do, cause i wanna look at the back of my stereo to see if an ipod adapter fits... nice job on the paint, i'm not gonna do any paint on this car, all the paint i did on my scion xb, sucked!!
it is super easy to pull apart most of the pieces, just stick a finger behind the lowist center piece and pull, and from there work your way up, with the 2 long pieces on either side, and then you should see 4 philips head screws attached to the radio bracket (atleast that is how it is done with the "intigrated" head unit that i have, and i hope it is all the same for ease of changing out to a new deck)

when undoing those 4 screw you might want to use a magnetic screwdriver, both of the top ones fell inside my dash, and took some time to find. but after they are out, the whole shebang should slide forward slightly, and then you need to unclip eithe rthe wireharnes to the flasher/airbag/seatbelt, button/lights, or unclip the whole air vent assembly from the front trim. and out she comes :)

it really all comes apart fairly easy, just a few firm pulls, and you will hear satisfying pops, and then everything just snaps back in place even easier :)

edit: just found this thread...would have made my life easier maybe if i had read it first :) it has the toyota manuals on removing the dash parts, check it out if you plan to remove them :)

Last edited by johnnyfive; 07-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
i paid 67 and change, a weak ago they quoted me at 87$...
Where did you get it from? I am going to wait tho at least I think until they have the true kit for the Yaris rather than using the Echo one.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Good job with the paint, looks nice...I did the same or similar thing in my ECHO...I'm betting the ECHO dash is a little more "simple" to take apart, it seemed simplistic, but anyway it was tricky to mask some parts and it takes patients cause you want to paint it and get it done with to see the end result but...I screwed up a little but nothing that paint thinner can't fix, but make sure it isn't too much or it might ruin the plastic, so far for me it looks fine. First I just wanted to paint my dials then I got painting fever and did the middle part of the dash, door handles, and the counsel where the automactic lever is...if that makes sense, I don't know what its called...anyway sorry not to highjack your thread... I used Duplicolor's plastic and fabric paint, we'll see how long it lasts, hopefully at least 3 or more years before it might wear off or come off, fingers crossed!!

Great work!!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
KEWL!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
With positive critque, also comes a few nagatives .

Sorry man, but i personally think the white interiors / white interior parts suck. Factory Silver looks a lot more classier. White dials are good though :)
Old 07-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
If i remember correctly if you take some nail polish remover and coton swabs, you can change the green away. I know that Ford only uses a greenish film that can be removed with nail polish. And if your unlucky you might have to desolder and solder in new leds, like on some of the switches

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote