Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
FEINT

Drives: Vitz RS 1.5
Help with Focals

I know some of you on here run the 165K2P's. I got myself a set, but to my horror, the serial numbers on the warranty card and speakers are different. There is some glue on the cone. They were suppose to be NEW and from a seller that has previously sold 3 of them with good feedback.

Just curious, if any of you could refer to what you own, to see if what i own is fake?

If it is, I will definitely return them a.s.a.p. I can't hook them up to the car as I am still waiting for the car to be delivered.

Any help / thoughts please!

Glue on the cone

The box

Crossover

Thanks
FEINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
looks legit to me. they must glue the cone to the coil core. Now i have no idea how it's so badly done.

It is normal for the tweeter to be removable from the base, as you need to screw the base to the panel before installing the tweeter.

I would inquire for the serial number though.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
the cone is connected to the voice coil former (kapton or aluminum) and the coil is wrapped around that. The shiny pokey thing looks like a phase plug... Phase plugs don't move with the cone... they are not connected to the former... Having glue all over isn't a bad thing... if anything its better to have more glue, than not enough.

you can always try to contact focal.. they might care... but probably won't since you didn't buy from an authorized dealer.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
FEINT

Contacted focal, they want to see it physically. However, they suggested I contact the seller to get a refund straight away. I did ask the seller prior to buying if the speakers were genuine, of which the seller said "yes".

The reason I bought off the net is because Focal no longer sell the 165K2P. They only sell the KRX2 which replaced the 165K2P's.

I have no idea if these are fake or real, that is what I am trying to figure out. If they are real, I guess may as well keep them. If they aren't, well I will send them back for a refund. Having nothing to compare with makes it very difficult to know if what I have is genuine.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to dg4rez
they look like the K2P series to me.

If you want a warranty, and focal wont warranty them, send them back.

If you dont really mind a warranty, send them to focal for they can double check.

Or you can hook them up, and hope for the best. But you seem to be very worried etc on them, so for you I suggest one of the first two.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
1nz

Drives: Vios
I accidentally got the fake 1 my self, and it only lasted 3days of full blast audio. now i got the real 1 and the sound is so much better and still last at max vol unsing better amplifier

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
FEINT

THanks guys. Sending them back!! :)

Its better to send them back than to keep wondering if they are genuine OR not.

So the search starts all over again.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Focal has a great warranty program as well. Here's my experience with them as well as a quick overview of the audio setup in my other car:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...pic=603509&hl=
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
FEINT

I decided to purchase another set. This thread is now to show the differences between the two and hopefully help others from getting fake copies.

1) The cone colour is different. The original set has a much lighter coloured cone. The fake set had a darker cone. The real thing has NO excess glue near the phase plug. The material of the cone is like a wafer paper.

Real

Fake

Glue on the phase plug

2) The etching of the serial number is also slightly different. Fake looks like the are stamped on instead of etched on. There should be a serial number on the box as well. The fakes didn't come with a serial number on the box.

Real

Fake

3) Magnet has NO RUST. THe fake set had a rusty internal : view above photo.

4) Crossover base wafer plate is white and not grey. The coils should be black (165K2P) or red (165K2P UV) (this isn't confirmed, this is purely from viewing sets of the speakers on the net. I have not seen any 165K2P's compared.)

Fake ones :

Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Buying authorized is the way to go:

"Focal-America distributes high-end car speakers through its network of selected authorized dealers and to better protect the best interest of its customers, we do not condone the purchase of any of our products obtained through any unauthorized means.

In order for our high standards to be met, we do not authorize our Focal dealers to sell Focal-America's products online as those found online may be of uncertain origin. Be aware that we often deal with upset customers who purchased Focal through an unauthorized source and have subsequently discovered that they bought counterfeit, defaced or broken product. Therefore, Focal-America assumes no responsibility and will not provide after sale service, support or warranty coverage for any of our products that have been purchased through unauthorized retailers, or that have serial numbers removed, erased or have otherwise been tampered with.

Our authorized dealers offer a full factory warranty on all Focal-America products. Focal-America Products obtained with removed, erased or tampered with serial numbers do not have any factory warranty. Every Focal component of every Focal product has a serial number. The serial number is really the I.D. of the product, its certificate of origin. If we don't have that I.D. we simply cannot verify the product’s authenticity.

Focal-America repairs and warranties are handled exclusively through Focal authorized dealers. If you buy from a non-authorized dealer, all repairs, warranties and support will have to be handled by the non-authorized dealer."