Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Radar Detectors?

Does anyone know how much these costs? and whereabouts you purchase one? I have a bad habit of speeding on open roads late at night and early morning and almost got nailed by the cops today lol

and howabouts do you go installing these?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
good ones are about 80 - 100
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Where do they sell them? And how do they get installed?

I am sure its not one of those things walmart sells, maybe Canadian Tire?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
matthewai

hmm im not familiar with canadian tire i think they just suction to windshield cuz it needs a clear view to detect the radar maybe like peep boys auto zone or auto barn do they have those in canada?

http://www.google.com/#q=radar+detec...fbf15c2e2f4021
Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
matthewai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaC77ZkkY_8&feature=fvst
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Nope no pep boys or auto zone.

And I guess they don't sell one here I tried searching on Canadian Tire website.

Any Canadians here know?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
good ones are about 80 - 100

More like 400-600+.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
matthewai

my friend has a nice one he got for 100 it work jsut as well as a 400 dollar one i mean it does the same thing bassigg
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
my friend has a nice one he got for 100 it work jsut as well as a 400 dollar one i mean it does the same thing bassigg
There's a reason why it costs $300 more

I wish you were interested sooner, I had a Beltronics V940 for a good price that I ended up just giving to my girlfriend

I have a valentine one and god damn does it get great range detection. If you do end up getting a radar detector, don't buy any whistlers / cobras / rocky mountain. That basically leaves you with two options - $300+ high performance detectors, or Beltronics vector series. I think you can get a V940 for like $120, and it has pretty good range detection.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
More like 400-600+.
+1
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have one that I don't use
Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I keep hearing all this talk about "instant on laser" being what cops are going to and it effectively nullifies any kind of pre-detection since the laser is pointed at the car and is only fired at the car when it can read the speed accurately so basically you've just purchased a fancy box that will let you know when a cop is seeing how fast you are going. (and let you know when you are passing by any grocery stores)

Or is that just PR put out by the man so that we don't even try anymore?
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

True, so I say get a Radar Jammer its illegal but it works haha
Old 11-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Jumpman sell me yours lol, and does anyone know any Canadian stores that would sell one?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

It's a a Cobra I think I haven't used in a loooong time Kept me from getting some nasty tickets lol mine was 150 if you want it, its urs for $50usd
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

If you can hold it til my next pay cheque, you can consider it sold? PM me for details if that sounds good :b
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Pm'd
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I keep hearing all this talk about "instant on laser" being what cops are going to and it effectively nullifies any kind of pre-detection since the laser is pointed at the car and is only fired at the car when it can read the speed accurately so basically you've just purchased a fancy box that will let you know when a cop is seeing how fast you are going. (and let you know when you are passing by any grocery stores)

Or is that just PR put out by the man so that we don't even try anymore?
"Instant on" and "laser" are two totally different things. Here's a quick breakdown on cop's detection techniques:

1) Radar unit. This simply sends out waves in every direction, finds the fastest moving object, then reports back to the unit with the speed and approximate location. They're the least threatening because you can pick up most wavelengths from thousands of feet away. However, cops that aren't totally retarded can use these to "instant on." This is where they have the unit off, are sitting (usually) on a quiet road, then turn their unit on and off quick enough to get a reading as soon as they see you (or your headlights in my case). If you don't see the cop prior, you're screwed. I've been caught one time, and this was it.

2) Radar gun. Basically the same as the unit, but has to be pointed at the moving vehicle. Although it's somewhat similar to instant on (because it's off until triggered), it's usually not a threat. The waves emitted from the gun bounce all over the place, so if another vehicle is targeted (even if you're thousands of feet away), you'll likely still get the warning.

3) Laser. These are the worst, but also the most scarce because they're more expensive than the aforementioned methods. Living in crappy Jersey, I've only seen laser twice, and that was on I80 being used by state troopers. These work by emitting a thin beam of light directly at your car, usually the windshield or front license plate. The catch with these is that they take 3-5 seconds to get a reading on the gun. So as soon as you get a laser warning, it's very possible to slam on the brakes and decrease speed enough in that time. By doing that, you're also increasing the time it takes for the laser to get a good reading. Trust me, I've done it

Oh and that bit about a radar jammer... Don't do it. Most radar units these days can detect other units that are jamming their signal. So you're basically breaking the law, then drawing attention to yourself.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote