Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #55
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Why is that whenever your in a rush, no matter what time of day it is, there is always traffic? Never fails
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #56
hatchbackkid82

Why is the sky blue?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #57
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
Why is that whenever your in a rush, no matter what time of day it is, there is always traffic? Never fails
That falls under Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #58
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Why is the sky blue?
A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colors because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

The white light from the sun is a mixture of all colors of the rainbow. This was demonstrated by Isaac Newton, who used a prism to separate the different colours and so form a spectrum. The colors of light are distinguished by their different wavelengths. The visible part of the spectrum ranges from red light with a wavelength of about 720 nm, to violet with a wavelength of about 380 nm, with orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo between. The three different types of colour receptors in the retina of the human eye respond most strongly to red, green and blue wavelengths, giving us our color vision.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #59
hatchbackkid82

Bill Nye the Science Guy...lol you learn something new everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colors because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

The white light from the sun is a mixture of all colors of the rainbow. This was demonstrated by Isaac Newton, who used a prism to separate the different colours and so form a spectrum. The colors of light are distinguished by their different wavelengths. The visible part of the spectrum ranges from red light with a wavelength of about 720 nm, to violet with a wavelength of about 380 nm, with orange, yellow, green, blue and indigo between. The three different types of colour receptors in the retina of the human eye respond most strongly to red, green and blue wavelengths, giving us our color vision.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #60
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Ask a question, maybe you'll get an answer. It could be anything like, "How do you cook a turkey?" or "What's the best way to keep my lawn looking green?" We have a diverse group of people here and everyone seems to have an opinion on something so ask away.

I'll start.

Why do women ask men a question they already know the answer to?
They want to know if you're paying them attention. If you tease them a little bit (Ie, Yes, those jeans do accentuate your butt, let me smack it once) it can lead to some fun.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #61
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Selective abstraction. You don't notice the traffic when you're not in a hurry, make no note of it and hence do not recall the times it was there when you were in a hurry. So it seems like the Universe is out to get you when in reality you just were not paying attention when you were cool with things.

Gene
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #62
GeneW
Banned

I have a question....

Why is it that when someone is trying to crap out a particularly hard or big turd they tend to grin? I mean, it's not like such a thing is particularly funny, right?

Gene
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #63
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I have a question....

Why is it that when someone is trying to crap out a particularly hard or big turd they tend to grin? I mean, it's not like such a thing is particularly funny, right?

Gene
physically monotonous or repetitive muscle movements memory reacting to the strains of dropping the kids off at the pool
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #64
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I have a question....

Gene
Gene,
Stop admiring yourself in the mirror when you're on the pot.
Enough, already!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #65
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Gene,
Stop admiring yourself in the mirror when you're on the pot.
Enough, already!
I have a mirror but it doesn't face the hopper. Good point.

In truth I cribbed this question from Trevanian's "The Main", where an old time French Canadian cop is teamed up with a kid who just graduated college.

One of the Cop's partners asks the kid the question just as I posed it.

Gene
Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #66
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
to be? or not to be?
Yes, and no.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #67
SeaYa

What's the best digital camera for taking 2-5 minute movies with sound?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #68
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
What's the best digital camera for taking 2-5 minute movies with sound?
Not sure. However I have cannon SD1000 which I like a lot.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #69
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
What's the meaning of life?
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the class if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor picked up a box filled with pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly, and the pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full, and they agreed that it was.

The professor then took a bag of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.

The students replied with an unanimous "yes". The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured them into the jar, effectively filling the spaces between the grains of sand. The students laughed.

"Now", said the professor, as the laughter died down, "I want you to recognize that the jar represents your life. The golf balls represent things that are most important to you- your health, your family, your children, your friends, your favorite passions- like your Yaris. Things that if everything else was lost, and only they remained, your life would be considered full."

"The pebbles are things that matter- like your house, your job, your other non-Yaris car. The sand is everything else- the small stuff."

"If you put the sand in the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. the same goes for life. If you spend all of your time and energy worrying about the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Mod your Yaris. Play with your kids. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18 holes. There will always be time to clean the house, and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter, Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there is always room for a couple of beers."

Author Unknown, edited by Bobselectric
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #70
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
^^^^damn hippie philosphy people......always gotta make shit sensical
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #71
SeaYa

Thanks!

Where is the best tropical getaway for soft sand and crystal clear water?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #72
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
Thanks!

Where is the best tropical getaway for soft sand and crystal clear water?
Well, I've been to most every country in South America, and Central America so my top picks would have to be Puerto Vallarta for the food, Cancun and Cozumel for the clear water, and Cabo San Lucas for relaxing.

South America picks would be Tayrona beach, Columbia for beautiful beaches, and Tortuga Bay, Ecuador (freakin awesome beaches with sea turtles all around)