Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
ATTN: Everyone putting HID's in their halogen setups. STOP IT!

Taken from a post on ImportAtlanta.com...

Okay, let me explain something to you people who are doing the HID upgrade in your stock headlamps.

The halogen reflectors in your cars (or any car with halogen headlights) aren't designed to work with the light source arc produced by HID bulbs. The position of the HID bulb in the reflector assembly may not line up the arc of the HID bulb where the filament was in the original bulb. Plus, some halogens have filaments that are axial or transverse whereas all HID bulbs are the same. The characteristics of the arc light source in an HID bulb are different than a filament, including details like different amounts of light coming from the ends of the filament vs. the middle, and halogen reflectors take advantage of this. Installing an HID bulb negates the original design of the halogen reflector and causes grief for other drivers (and you).

Since HID bulbs don't have light shields on them like most low beam lamps, you end up blinding other drivers even with careful alignment of the headlamp.

HID conversions (and even HID in general) end up throwing a lot of light right near the front of your car rather than up the road where you need it. This extra light up close makes your pupils narrow, which doesn't allow you to see dark things as well up the road. This is especially bad in bad weather situations.

If you are going to throw in an HID kit, make sure to replace the entire reflector setup as well. Don't just do it cheap, do it right.

If you don't like the yellowish tint on the stock headlights, then just buy some hyperwhite bulbs. Quit being ricers by putting cheap@ss "HID" setups in your halogen lamps. It's f*cking annoying to other drivers on the road.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
This is an issue that has been brought up many times on these forums, and Ran is right. If you post a picture of your new 10,000K Ebay HID kit expecting praise on this forum, forget about it. You will be flamed!

If you're going to do this, do it right. At the very least, buy something with usable light output (4000-6500K) and spend some time trying to get the aim correct. Honestly, though, projector retrofits are the way to go because they give the driver a way to completely control light output. There are threads on these forums covering projector retrofits, and I know that the members who have done so thus far are receptive to questions and willing to give advice. If money is your excuse to do a shoddy job on your headlights, you shouldn't be doing headlights in the first place.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
agreed 100%.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
blue looks so fucking gross to me now, don't get me wrong a slight tinge like as far as the 6000k then it looks pretty nice but all i see around here are ricers with crazy blue cheap as hid's that look retard, you guys are right people should either retro fit or wait for the aftermarket headlights and do it the right way

those blue bulbs are gross too, I have osrams and hileds parking lights and I'm totally happy with it on this car, no blue splash in the assembly and no fake hid look, just nice bright light---these aren't grounds for punishment though just flaming

the next time you get glared by one of thes dickshits with hid in reflector housing please pull them over and knock 'em up side the head for me, I'll do the same
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
i went threw sylvanias siverstars and phillips top of the line white bulbs and hated them i found bulbs at the local rice rocket shop that looked HID and were just as bright or brighter than the stocks and looked the best they are not blue too nore too white
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Man,I cant beleive there is actually a thread for this,what will Chris say?
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

well, chris knew what he was doing so I guess there will be exceptions, the bluer light creates more glare than whiter even brighter light, he compensated by aiming his down a bit
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
well, chris knew what he was doing so I guess there will be exceptions, the bluer light creates more glare than whiter even brighter light, he compensated by aiming his down a bit

Exactly, you cant really flame on everyone for this. If they want to do th they want to do this. Some of us actually took the time to get them aimed properly. I dont have a super great cut off line but its good enough and i made sure i aimed it down, so that i wouldnt blind other drivers.

I put a car in front of me(lowered civic) and made sure that when i was sitting in the driver seat where i was directly in front, off to the side, or directly behind, that the beam was never solid into the car.

I know my beam pattern could be a little, and that would require a projector set up but thats a little more then i want to spend, especially when I think the current set up does a good enough job.

To the people out there modifying projectors to fit, awesome, more power to you. To the people out there installing HID's and taking the time to make sure you are being respectful to other drivers, awesome.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I almost did it myself and opted not until there are some headlight options at least but more power to you. I got a little carried away.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
I installed HID in my sedan....
I don't really have any cutoff....the light is spread out...guess its cuz i don't have projectors...
Hmm...i understand what you guys are saying...but..i have this shield thing that is covering up my bulb....so it already blocks off the brighest part of the bulb,...so this isn't what you guys are talking about right??
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
Bis

Drives: Yaris LB
this is kind of obvious, but nonetheless good info.
Bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #12
ASHRAF
Scubie Du

Drives: '10 SWP STi/'09 Escalade
Send a message via AIM to ASHRAF Send a message via MSN to ASHRAF Send a message via Yahoo to ASHRAF
We need some projectors

Why isn't theresomething like this for the new Yaris???

so it will be easier installing projectors in it
'08 Fiji Blue Pearl Honda Civic Mugen Si - US
'08 Lightning Red Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US
'09 Diamond White Pearl Cadillac Escalade - US (current)
'10 Satin White Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US (current)
'11 Yaris?
ASHRAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHRAF View Post
We need some projectors

Why isn't theresomething like this for the new Yaris???

so it will be easier installing projectors in it
Because you haven't made it yet!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
ASHRAF
Scubie Du

Drives: '10 SWP STi/'09 Escalade
Send a message via AIM to ASHRAF Send a message via MSN to ASHRAF Send a message via Yahoo to ASHRAF
Come ooon Morette!
'08 Fiji Blue Pearl Honda Civic Mugen Si - US
'08 Lightning Red Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US
'09 Diamond White Pearl Cadillac Escalade - US (current)
'10 Satin White Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US (current)
'11 Yaris?
ASHRAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
i agree with no putting the HID's in the stock halogen housings. i always have the urge to just smash into someone that is blinding me by doing stuff like this.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Yeah, seriously been waiting forever( lol only had the car for 5 months =p it's not long but you know how it feels) for aftermarket projectors. I'm not skilled enough to retrofit them so just waiting. Besides, maybe aftermarket projectors will have some smart chips so when you take a turn it'll turn too. That way you can see the corner better... you know what i mean? Like the ones on the Lexus (insert model letter + # combo).
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
imperial4ever

Drives: 2008 Hyundai Accent SE
1. Why are these 10K units not getting pulled over by the police as they are illegal?
2. How do these vehicles pass inspection.

I wish we could get the OEM units which I imagine the design has changed with the 2009 Yaris LB mid-cycle refresh.
imperial4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial4ever View Post
2. How do these vehicles pass inspection.
Not all states do yearly vehicle inspections. FL doesn't for example.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote