Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #55
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...item45f7b63f89

* PowerZone Series 4-Channel AB Car Amplifier
* RMS Power Rating:
o 4 ohms: 87.5 watts x 4 chan.
o 2 ohms: 175 watts x 4 chan.
o Bridged, 4 ohms: 350 watts x 2 chan.
* Max Power Rating:
o 4 ohms: 175 watts x 4 chan.
o 2 ohms: 350 watts x 4 chan.
o Bridged, 4 ohms: 700 watts x 2 chan.
* MOSFET power supply
* LED power and protection indicators
* Tuned Bass EQ (0-12 dB bass boost at 45 Hz)
* Variable bass equalization
* Speaker-level inputs with soft turn-on
* RCA Inputs and outputs
* 4-Channel operation
* Top mounted controls for easy adjustment
* 4-Way protection (DC, short, thermal, overload)
* Stereo mono amplifier mode switch
* Illuminated CRUNCH logo
* Silver-plated RCA level inputs
* Silver-plated screw terminals
* Variable high-pass filter (60-1200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
* Variable low-pass filter (30-250 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
* Variable input level control: 0.2V-5.0V
* Top-mounted controls
* Frequency response: 30-1,200 Hz
* Dimensions: 13-3/8"L x 10"W x 2-1/8"H
* 4-gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation. Contact us for information regarding a discount on select amplifier kits when purchased together with this amplifier.
* 1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #56
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
You know...I may be able to get that amp for you right around that price WITH a real warranty...

Our shop is the distributor for Maxxsonics (i.e. Crunch) and gets pretty darned good pricing.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #57
_S7V7N_

There you go Packet, I'd jump on that deal, i have the older model, and am pretty happy with it. If i could get that newer model for around 85 bucks, I'd sell this one and buy that model there .

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #58
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
whats the difference between active and passive ? :S
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #59
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
whats the difference between active and passive ? :S
Passive is when you run x-overs like the ones you have, and they go between amp and speakers.

Active is when the x-overs go before the amps.

Note that an active x-over is much more sophisticated than a passive x-over!

I hope it helps

D.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #60
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

To expand on what Derick is saying...

Electronic Crossover:
A crossover is a filter. It is used to block some frequencies while allowing others to pass with little or no effect. An electronic crossover is a set of active filters which pass/reject part of the audio band. The crossover point is determined by changing the value of resistors and/or capacitors in the active filter circuit. A high pass crossover will allow frequencies above a predetermined point to pass. The frequencies below the crossover point will rolloff at a rate determined by the crossover's design. A low pass crossover would let low frequencies pass while reducing the level of the high frequency part of the signal. The signal from the head unit feeds the crossover. The signal leaving the crossover goes to an amplifier. If the high pass output is connected to an amplifier, that amplifier would be connected to smaller speakers which may include tweeters. A low pass xover would drive an amp connected to larger speakers, including woofers.

Passive Crossovers:
A passive crossover has no active filters as are used in the electronic crossover. It uses coils (inductors) and capacitors to cause a rolloff of the audio level. The simplest types use a single coil OR capacitor connected in series with the speaker. If a capacitor is used, it will reduce the lower frequencies getting through to the speaker. If an inductor is used, it will reduce the higher frequencies getting through to the speaker. In this configuration, the rate of rolloff is 6dB/octave. In a more complex configuration combining both coils and capacitors on each speaker, a steeper rolloff is obtainable.

-BCAE1
Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #61
packetrace

So you got active....?

Your activee x-over are in your HU i guess ?

Does it give a way better sound with active ?

Could I use the same speaker Derick have (HL-70 HAT L1V2 and L6) with passive ?

The type of amp is changing depending on passive or active ?

Thanks
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #62
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Derick and I have essentially the same source unit. Mine just speaks Japanese! :)

Yes, our sources have the crossover control in the deck. The sound received is subjective. You can mess up your sound just as much as you can improve it with an active crossover section.

Of course you can use a passive setup with any type of speakers (for the most part). What I wouldn't do is just slap a random passive in there. With a homogenized mix of speakers, you're going to have to find your own values for what crossover points you want and then make it for the best results.

Now, for the cost and time savings, you can pick up an active crossover and avoid the hassle and gain more flexibility.

Your amplifier choice shouldn't affect the crossover...however, a lot of amplifiers have more advanced crossovers now days. That's also something to look at...an amplifier that has a nice crossover section to mess around with.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #63
packetrace

what kind of active cross over would you suggest me ?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #64
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I say buy a decent deck and buy into an RF360.3 or a Bit One. There's a new Bit One coming out that is a smaller version with a few less bells and whistles than the full sized piece. It'll save some cash too.

Alpine, Arc Audio, and Mosconi have some nice processors as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #65
packetrace

a decent deck turns around how much ?? ahaha

and do you have a link of RF360.3 ...ive made research on google..and found no thing :(
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #66
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...item_id=106187

Apparently I was smoking something. I'd swear RF is thinking about a .3 version.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94

http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescr...ssover/dxe.asp

Alpine also is coming out with a processor that is along the same lines as the above.

What do I consider a decent deck? *meh* It depends. An entry level perhaps one of the JVC pieces that have the dual 24 bit D/A's.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #67
_S7V7N_

This Is the deck i have and it has alot of tuning options.
Kenwood X794

I got mine for under 175 bucks shipped
Amazon Link

A few specs

Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Excellence DSP to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:

•Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Station Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van (Long), or Off
•Speaker Setting: The speaker X'over is automatically set when the position and size of each speaker are select from the following items.
◦Front: Location (Door, On Dash, or Under Dash); Size: (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"); Tweeter (None or Use)
◦Rear: Location (Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row; Size (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5")
◦Subwoofer: Size(10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8")
•Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers, and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
•X'Over: The Kenwood eXcelon headunit provides independent high-pass crossovers for the unit's front and rear speaker/preamp outputs, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover.
◦Front High Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); or you can also select full-range
◦Rear High Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); you can also select full-range
◦Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); Phase (Normal/Reverse); or you can also select full-range
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings using the 5-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:

•Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types), or User.
•5-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to adjust the following 5-Band EQ (62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, 16kHz) settings.
◦Band Levels: Independent front and rear EQ level of -9dB to +9dB.
◦Bass Effect: Enhances the bass response of Band 1 (62.5Hz).
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #68
packetrace

There somethings I want to know just to help me understand the whole thing....about active..passive....3-way component...

I can seee on those active x-over you linked me that there is 3 rca output....rear front and sub....rear would be for mid bass and front for tweeter and midrange....but what willl allow HIGH to tweeter and mid-high to midrange speaker....

Would my EQ-6500 act as an active cross over....I have those 3 rca output...rear front sub...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #69
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Here is a typical installation, imagine your Eq6500 between your HU and 6xs

Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #70
packetrace

ohhhh there you gooo!! this is the way to do what you do without having a deck of 1500$ !!ahahah

thanks derick....im pretty visual...so an imagine is worth 1000 words
Old 01-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #71
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The payoff with the deck that is "$1500" (actually less than that) is that you have less links in the signal chain and you don't have to leave your seat or use a laptop to adjust anything.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #72
packetrace

how much you paid for your carozzeria ? and th p-99 ? aahaha