Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
AEM F/I C

Some one have done a DIY or something on the install of the AEM FIC ?

Thank you!
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp

Last edited by packetrace; 05-28-2012 at 12:16 PM.
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I put together a DIY on Micro Image for how to make your own plug and play harness for installing an AEM F/IC:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...-so-expensive)
Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
packetrace

Nice scott! I will check it ou later today :)

Does the aem fic come with a long harness to go from the cabin to the engine bay to get plugged to the pnp ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
packetrace

DOes the AEM FIC replace the stock ECM and so on I could take the stock ecm out of there ?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The F/IC has a two connector harness that is about 4' long, which they intend for you to cut into the factory harness. My DIY shows how to make the equivalent to a boomslang PNP harness for less than 1/2 the cost. A PNP one means that you unplug the existing OEM harness connector and plug the PNP in, in between the connector and the ECM. This avoids cuts and splices to the factory harness.

It is a piggy back ECU, so you connect its harness on top of the existing ECM harness and leave the ECM in place. I mounted mine behind the passenger glove box to minimize the wire length.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
packetrace

SO you can't use only the AEM as engine computer....?

I must used the ECM plus the AEM to controle only SOME of the settings ? If I ever put a turbo in...

IS that what I should understand ?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
SO you can't use only the AEM as engine computer....?

I must used the ECM plus the AEM to controle only SOME of the settings ? If I ever put a turbo in...

IS that what I should understand ?
The F/IC is a Fuel and Ignition Controller. The stock ECM does all of its normal functions and the F/IC sits on top of it to provide the ability to add fuel and pull timing where necessary.

It is of little use with a NA car, but a device of its nature is required when adding FI to compensate for the additional air with proportionately more fuel.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The AEM F/IC, Greddy eManage, Greddy Blue, CAMCON, etc are all called Piggyback ECUs. They are not standalone replacements.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.

Last edited by fnkngrv; 05-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The F/IC is a Fuel and Ignition Controller. The stock ECM does all of its normal functions and the F/IC sits on top of it to provide the ability to add fuel and pull timing where necessary.

It is of little use with a NA car, but a device of its nature is required when adding FI to compensate for the additional air with proportionately more fuel.
Yeah it is not for a NA car...I am just taking information if I put a turbo somewhen....and just learn for learning since I am no good at mecanic....
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
The AEM F/IC, Greddy eManage, Greddy Blue, etc are all called Piggyback ECUs. They are not standalone replacements.
Thank you!

Was is the exact definition of piggyback ?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Already explained in this thread. A piggyback computer takes over some (but not all) of the functions the stock ECU performs to run the motor. Usually this includes fuel, timing and sometimes rev limit, etc. It is wired into the ECU, which must stay in the car to run all the other functions.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

If you leave the title of the thread as "AME" it will be hard to find for anyone searching for the information to find this thread -- best to edit that, IMO.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
If you leave the title of the thread as "AME" it will be hard to find for anyone searching for the information to find this thread -- best to edit that, IMO.
Changed :) sorry
Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Already explained in this thread. A piggyback computer takes over some (but not all) of the functions the stock ECU performs to run the motor. Usually this includes fuel, timing and sometimes rev limit, etc. It is wired into the ECU, which must stay in the car to run all the other functions.
I just was not sure thank you!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

no problem!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
g.q.vios
jqueza@microimage

Drives: 2010 vios
So bringing and old thread back to life!!! I was over at aem web site and found
INFINITY STAND-ALONE PROGRAMMABLE ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM from aem... I mean the haltech system are like 1500 each plus tunning and wiring the sucker ouch!!! @ garm A lil birdie told me you where running aem series 2 but lost your power steering... And the cheap option is the f/ic but i hear alot of people having problems with it!!! I live in so cal and have at least 20+ tunners in the area certified by aem so i dont think tunning the F/ic would be a problem but it has its limits... So i was wondering what would be a better solutin for etheir a good piggy back or a good stand alone that will work and keep all parts of the car working... Like in garms car i think you lost the A.C power steering and anything else!!! I would like to keep these features Any good advive thanks ...
g.q.vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
packetrace

Actually i am still questionning myself about goong standalone or piggyback...for budget reason and for simplicity reason...

Buy i dont want a fic...if i go with a piggyback i will choose the gredy ultimate or the haltech sprint 500...

I will try to keep the power steering...i dont have ac so no problem
With it....idle is controlled by the standalone...you dont losse many stuff with thr standalone :p

If standalone..haltech 1000, aem ems plug n play or megasquirt 3
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
g.q.vios
jqueza@microimage

Drives: 2010 vios
I was just wondering Cause you had bought the F/Ic from Garm then Sold It Why??? And If You Do go With greedy E manage or haltech is it going to be plug and play or D.I.Y
g.q.vios is offline   Reply With Quote