Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Side turn signals. Has anyone done this...???

Has anyone wired the side turn signals (the ones just behind the front wheels) to the parking lights lead, so that they are always on?

I would still want them to function as blinkers when I want to turn or with hazards, but remain on full time like the parking lights when not blinking.

Smart Cars do this, and I think so do BMW and Porsche. I think it looks cool, and give better visibility to the vehicle for safety as well.

Any ideas???

P.S: Not my car... stock photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (63.2 KB, 565 views)
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
why? they're blinkers, not side-markers. both the front and rear housings have sidemarkers on there. so why would you want to take away a blinker and put a marker?

if you wanted to, you can put a dual filimement bulb in there and make it both marker and blinker. like a white led for marker and yellow for blinker. that would work well i think

what i'm wondering is why in the world the bulb housing sticks out almost as far as the side-mirrors....why hasnt someone come out with a flush-mount or near flush led kit for these? it looks like an insect eye....on the side of an insect eye.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
There's no way to mount them flush without having the LED inside the car body, which would still require some sort of clip to protrude a bit so that there's something for the entire thing to clip to the body with
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i understand that, look at the new bmw. they use led's, and they're not even 1/4" above the body panel. the yaris is like a bug eye out there in left field....looks goofy, out of place
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
i understand that, look at the new bmw. they use led's, and they're not even 1/4" above the body panel. the yaris is like a bug eye out there in left field....looks goofy, out of place

If you search you will find LED housings that are just about flush that you can purchase overseas. I have seen at least a half dozen different styles of flush mount LED Side Marker housings.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I've done this on my sedan. With the aid of CTScott, this was cake.

One wire from the marker was designated to ground, the other split into two other wires. One went to the parking lamp wire, the other to the one that controls the turn signal. I can't remember the exact wires, I'd have to look. You're gonna need diodes (pointing toward the marker) so that the two wires don't feed each other. Also, a resistor is needed in the wire that connects to the parking lamps, otherwise when the blinkers are triggered there will be no effect (while the parking lamps are on).

I'm surprised so few people have done this, as the illuminated markers, fogs, and HIDs look sooooo slick at night
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Meteorite_Marty

I wouldn't like a dual-purpose light; blinker and side marker when not blinking. I don't want to replace anything, just do some creative wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
why? they're blinkers, not side-markers. both the front and rear housings have sidemarkers on there. so why would you want to take away a blinker and put a marker?

if you wanted to, you can put a dual filimement bulb in there and make it both marker and blinker. like a white led for marker and yellow for blinker. that would work well i think

what i'm wondering is why in the world the bulb housing sticks out almost as far as the side-mirrors....why hasnt someone come out with a flush-mount or near flush led kit for these? it looks like an insect eye....on the side of an insect eye.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
I've done this on my sedan. With the aid of CTScott, this was cake.

One wire from the marker was designated to ground, the other split into two other wires. One went to the parking lamp wire, the other to the one that controls the turn signal. I can't remember the exact wires, I'd have to look. You're gonna need diodes (pointing toward the marker) so that the two wires don't feed each other. Also, a resistor is needed in the wire that connects to the parking lamps, otherwise when the blinkers are triggered there will be no effect (while the parking lamps are on).

I'm surprised so few people have done this, as the illuminated markers, fogs, and HIDs look sooooo slick at night
This is exactly what I meant..... can you give more details/diagrams? Would this be simple for an auto electronics place to do, or even a handy person to do on their own.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite_Marty View Post
This is exactly what I meant..... can you give more details/diagrams? Would this be simple for an auto electronics place to do, or even a handy person to do on their own.
In all honesty, I have very little electronics experience and pulled this off no problem. Radioshack has everything you need. I can get pictures when it's not raining, but I dunno how much they'll help considering you have a hatchback.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say you just need to find the negative wire in the harness connecting to the back of the marker, then do what's in the diagram. I tapped into the appropriate wires right behind the headlights. Again, I'll look and get back to you.

As for the resistors and diodes, the cheapest diodes will do. Resistors are iffy, as I never actually did this part (but know it's necessary). Play around with different values until you find one that is bright enough to satisfy you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side Lights_MOD.jpg (37.3 KB, 432 views)
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Meteorite_Marty

Thank you.

Did you confirm this works?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Thank you.

Did you confirm this works?
I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you change the side markers to LEDs.

With the stock incandescent bulbs you would need to use a 30 ohm, 1 watt resistor, and the resistor would get very warm when the lights are on.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Anyone selling their side markers? I wanna do this, but not on the ones that are on the car now.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Has anyone wired the side turn signals (the ones just behind the front wheels) to the parking lights lead, so that they are always on?

I would still want them to function as blinkers when I want to turn or with hazards, but remain on full time like the parking lights when not blinking.

Smart Cars do this, and I think so do BMW and Porsche. I think it looks cool, and give better visibility to the vehicle for safety as well.

Any ideas???

P.S: Not my car... stock photo.
you will need to buy and after market light with three blubs and use the middle blub with the parks and the outside blubs for the flicker, the standard flicker is a sealed unit, i tried to change the blub from yellow to white, the after market lights are not so nice here by us,
Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

With the stock incandescent bulbs you would need to use a 30 ohm, 1 watt resistor, and the resistor would get very warm when the lights are on.
I didn't even realize the stock ones didn't use LEDs. Like I said, I have very little electronics experience
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Why would they get hot? Its the same bulb as the parking lights. Again, just assuming.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Why would they get hot? Its the same bulb as the parking lights. Again, just assuming.
The resistor acts as a dimmer so that you can distinguish between running light mode and flasher mode.

The resistors would get hot because of the current required to drive the 5W bulbs. The aftermarket LED side markers draw less than 100mW (1/50 of what the bulbs draw), so dimming them doesn't require sinking the power that dimming the bulbs requires.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
kashanf

Drives: Toyota Belta
any safe way to do this mod with stock incandescent bulbs?..
kashanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
there is a different way of wiring it with incandescent (stock) bulbs. the difference is they will alternate with the turn signals (at night) when the park lights are on. In the morning, they function normally.

wire the positive wire of the park light to the negative end of this side blinker. that's it. HTH.

That's how i used to do it on Civics during the early 2000s.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote